Now it is Personal , Coyote attacked Titus when Colleen took him out side Today

I hope you get the yote culprits and their comrades. It breaks my heart & boils my blood to see your precious pet maimed.

Fellow AGN members be aware of free ranging dogs (ones people allow to run free) & feral dogs. They are a HUGE threat to your pets, especially small dogs, puppies, & cats.They can individually attack your pet or collectively do so. I have dealt with a pets that were killed or maimed by said dog(s). Upon investigation I would usually locate a pack of dogs and quickly determine that they were following a bitch dog in heat. That is a recipe for disaster. They collectively resort to wolf pack mentality and will attack and even shred small pets & kill large pets. Individually most would not but collectively they certainly will. A fenced in yard goes a long way to protect against yote, & dog attacks. I was involved in a study of free ranging dogs while in college. It was an eye opener.

Also be aware of large raptors (hawks, eagles, owls). Occasionally even small raptors are a threat to very small breed puppies. Raptors will attack & kill small pets. To them the pets are purely food. I have investigated these attacks, some resulting in death to the small pet. Raptors are protected. There is little that can be done. A good friend lost his beloved sausage dog to a red tailed hawk about 2 years ago.

We don't have wolves in Alabama but they are no different than yotes, just larger. They too can become a threat to small & large pets alike. These instances are less frequent than with yotes that have learned to live & interact in close proximity to humans. Many yotes live or frequently enter towns and cities, especially suburbs. Your small pets are FOOD to them.

Also poisonous snakes (mostly rattlesnakes & copperheads) sometimes make their way into a yard, Be vigilant for them & quickly/safely dispatch them when seen. They can be captured & relocated. The choice is yours. I send them to the happy hunting grounds. I have had to many bird dogs bitten by rattlers & personally know friends that have been bitten. One friend lost a leg from the resulting bite. I have killed a truck load of rattlers through the years while quail hunting. By the way Alabama has six species of poisonous snakes. Yikes, watch where you walk.

As mentioned coons can be a threat. This is a rare occurrence. But I have seen them stand off a single coon dog & get in some damaging painful bites. They can hold their own against a pack of hounds but lordy what a fight. Because of this I dispatch all that make their way into my yard. So far they have been in a tree when my dog would discover them. They then go to the happy hunting grounds. I will usually give a possum a pass unless it hangs around or comes back.

I have not been involved with foxes but have read of attacks. LOL if you have chickens,

I wish I was there to help. I most certainly would! Good luck!

Reactions: Peacemaker1312
Glad your wife and dog are okay. If the coyotes were in your yard previously and you didn't shoot them, that was a mistake.

Yep if a shot presents itself...defiantly take it!. Often times you don't have a gun in your hands, can't get a shot or safe shot. But I agree they are not to be left to stay in the area. Same goes for coons & poisonous snakes. Give them the same treatment. By all means if you spot any of the aforementioned critters lay-in-wait and dispatch them asap. Also I would defiantly be wary of coons. They along with other mammals (especially foxes & even bats) are know to carry rabies. Every year in my county there are many positive rabies cases. Pets are bitten by rabid animals (mostly coons) almost every year in my county. Humans are also at risk for attacks, especially small children who may attempt to catch or play with a cute fury coon or pick up a bat out of curiosity.

Sorry about your dog, hope it get well soon.

Some years ago i went to a forest to test a flashlight, after about 30 minutes of walking i stood face to face with a wolf, Wolf was wiped out here many 100 years ago but are now finding their way back coming up from Germany, ATM i think there are 15 - 20 wolf in this little country

A flash of the even more powerful flashlight i had on me sent it running, but since then i have not gone to the forest at night and not carried a knife a lot bigger than my EDC pocketknife.

Not that the wolf scare me a whole lot, just i will not go down without a fight like i am supposed to do ( well at least if you look at Danish laws that might get in play in such a scenario )

kill them rotton SOB they are no good for anything glad the dogs gonna make it feel sorry for the yotes as i know you will make them pay dearly i get a few packs of them up from the river behind my house the dogs in the backyards go nuts si i know when they are out their will be taking a few myself set my rti propget up other day for 25gr redesign that will sure take them down

.30 cal Impact Compact with thermal and Edgun Supermag .25 with nightvision are my coyote night time recipes and have a Daystate Wolverine 30 with 1x10 Athlon for daytime calling setups. All headshots 100 yds or less. Will be experimenting this coming yr with an Impact 2 in 22 and the 40gr ZAN for my first slug gun on coyotes. I have hunted them privately and professionally for decades. I believe there have been 5 attacks on human children this year already. Golf courses, deer leases, and trailer courts and ranches are my current best places for eradication. The sad part is I usually get the call after the pet (cats, dogs etc) has been drug away and killed. Coyotes are very smart and eat absolutely anything. When they move in, much desirable wildlife disappears.

bert you hunt them in your trailer court 

Good advice to get him checked out at the vet . I hope he makes a quick recovery. Also good to hear they didn’t turn on you or your wife. That 30 and your .25 will make quick quiet work of those yotes. With that many showing up on camera it’s not long before they hit your neighbors, this time of year they are aggressive. Wish you good luck in your hunting . 

I was sleeping and got woken up at 1 am with banging I ran outside on deck to see 3 of them one was on top of quail pen cage biting the medal fence like going crazy I shot him in chest threw heart with evol he fell over I couldnt get other 2 , should I leave him where he was will this tell them go away>>>????? normally i would skin them and process them and titus eats them ,

So titus is starting to recover Finally where they got him it was making like pools of blood size of softball , the vet colleen knew before she moved here told her to get a drainage needle and drain it but keep very close eye on him as he must have internal injury , she just retired so prior to this when he needed shots or to see a vet she would go to NY like 3 .5 hr drive , but she moved across country ,I didnt bring him into new vet yet came close when I saw some blood in urine but it seemed to clear up .

I was very sad and depressed I thought he was going to die , he is my friend heck since I joined here , every hunt he was by my side I taught him to hunt ,

also on one game camera across pond I saw 42 pics of yotes in a 3 hr span I dono if they walking back and corth or it is infested ,

SO DO I leave CARCASS OR NOT WHERE i SHOT HIM HE IS LITTERLY 30 FEET FROM SIDE OF HOUSE 10 YARDS FROM WHERE THE ATTACK OCCURRED 

• Love
Reactions: Peacemaker1312
Move the carcass. You don't want a deterrent, you want them coming in so you can murder as many as you can. 

Every one that you don't kill is another one available to breed in March, and you'll have the problems you got on steroids come this time next year.

Also, can you bait them to a location so you can just pop open a window to take the shot?