Nova vista liberty .22?

I’m on the verge of getting this gun, and would like to know your opinions. I will be using a hand pump, and this will be my first PCP. I have heard that someone said that’s it is a bad guy for non-diy people because of the lack of parts support, and I really sure hope that is not a point for me to turn away from this gun because it seems really appealing to me with all of its features. 

Thanks,

Antoni

I bought one last week but I'm sending it back. Doesn't hold air. Suggest you check that first.

I’m thinking about getting two for less then the price of one by getting a used one for $109 on the phone. A lot of people say that there might be a minor air leak in those rifles or missing trigger screws but not much else. Also, how does it not hold air? Does it just not hold air at all or does it lose psi say overnight? 

Check out air velocity sport ytc. He fully tuned his on video including putting a new crown on the barrel. It looked like it didn't have any crown at all. He liked the gun.

I had the pleasure of shooting Stephens, aka AVS, gun and slugs .22 this past Friday. Not sure what mods he did to this gun besides his homemade stock but I think he replaced poppet seal. I never shot the gun before and wasn’t used the trigger,
here’s the ten shot group I shot at 50 yds. This is probably one of the best groups I’ve ever shot, I am very impressed with this gun. 

1573994854_4257396855dd14166531aa2.92091192_F40627FB-F67B-47EE-B15F-F65B6735B1B9.jpeg
1573994854_2371051375dd14166a61cb5.65165394_480E57DD-7AF8-44B7-BD8C-FAF12F60145D.jpeg

When ATI first offered the $100 parts guns, a good number of guns didn't have any issues, but were missing some of the accessories, such as fill probe, tools, mag, ss tray, etc. Now, most have some sort of issue to deal with. The primary problem has been leaks, both fast and slow. The #1 issue has been the soft poppets. The material can be replaced with Delrin. I did a DIY How-To write-up on GTA, LINK The fast leaks are easy to find and fix. The slow ones can try your patience. Most of the O-rings can be sourced from the O-ring store, but may have to use an alternate material or durometer. With AVS, Stephens video, you should be able to handle dis-assembly/re-assembly.

The air res on this gun is slightly larger than a Mrod, but can be filled to over 4Kpsi. Hand pumping will be a good exercise program, but stopping the fill at 3-3.5K will help. It will get plenty of shots even at that pressure. I hardly ever go over that, using a tank. 

I recommend the wood stock over the plastic one. It is more ergonomic, especially in the right hand grip area. The wood balances well, but is about a lb heavier. The foregrip on the plastic one, is clam shell style, and takes a little more effort on assy/dis-assy. Both were designed for the included iron sights, and need some comb riser going to a scope.

I bought 2 at the same time

One new synth stock & the other no warranty wood stock

The new gun worked perfectly out of the box.

I found a fast leak in the wood one.

It's now fixed and the rifle works perfectly.

I had never removed a rifle from its stock before, and learned a great deal doing so.

Thanks to Steve's (Airgun Sport) fine disassembly video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yzb6XzQvTo)  I felt there was a tutor with me all the way

If you are ready to purchase one there is a Hard Air Magazine 20% discount available at ATI thru 12-31-19

The code, IIRC is HARDAIR20

Usable on line and with phone orders

Hope this helps

Ed

I've had one for 6 months. I had to have a new poppet made for it out of Delrin and that cured the leak. Stock they put out around 27 fpe but with lots of mods can be pushed to around 60 fpe but is a air hog.

Sorry for sounding like a dope, but first of all what and where is the poppet? Also, how do I make the poppet or do people sell it somewhere? Also, I will get this rifle to do a multitude of stuff with it, from taking a shot at field target shooting to hunting, and I am curious to know if just turning that regulator adjuster clockwise or counter-clockwise will be enough to go from <20fpe to >40fpe. I don’t want to drill anything in my first pcp, and I will probably not get a pcp for two or more years so I want to be very careful. Also, being 12, I will get the synthetic stock because it is lighter and even that barely fits in my budget. I will not even get any pellets and will test with the ok ish variety of only H&N pellets and eventually I will get more pellets as my budget is at $325 including all things I need (including a Chinese pump, air filter, hill hand pump grease, and the Patchworm cleaning kit). 

Well, you are correct

$325 is a tough budget to stay within

A Synth Liberty on the 20% discount will cost $240 + $8 shipping.

Don't get me wrong.

The Liberty is a nice shooting gun.

However you might want to consider a Benjamin Maximus 22

Especially if every penny counts

$206.99 + local sales tax shipped via Amazon Prime

https://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-BPM22B-N-Maximus-Powered-Bolt-Action/dp/B01GVWUHEO/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=benjamin+maximus&link_code=qs&qid=1574013074&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-3

Advantages

Light weight

Accurate

Only need to pump to 2000psi

The gun can be modded easily as you get to know PCPs

Disadvantages

Single shot

No power adjustment without modding

Not as powerful as a Liberty

Would I trade my Liberty for Maximus

NO!

But do enjoy the Maximus 22 that I own

Just 2 cents from a guy who has 59 years on you.

Whatever you shoot

Shoot accurately & shoot safe

Ed

I'm impressed with what research you have done for a twelve year old. Your capabilities seem greater than your age. Even so, recommend having a parent or guardian assist with any initial PCP dis-assy/re-assy. You mention hunter target, so if there are competitions or an airgun group nearby, try contacting them and attending a meet. I'd bet there would be allot of people that would help you and even probably loan a gun.

I'm impressed with what research you have done for a twelve year old. Your capabilities seem greater than your age. Even so, recommend having a parent or guardian assist with any initial PCP dis-assy/re-assy. You mention hunter target, so if there are competitions or an airgun group nearby, try contacting them and attending a meet. I'd bet there would be allot of people that would help you and even probably loan a gun.

Funny story, but even though I am (truly) homeschooled, we live in the suburbs of Washington DC with 3 acres of land for me too shoot on and there is not one person that I can name in our 5-person family that knows anything about airguns/guns other then me. I don’t know how I quite got to shooting, but I did, and taught myself everything I know. I was hard-pressed to convince my parents to get my first red ryder, and even more my Hatsan. I need this rifle and not the Benjamin Maximus because I want a fully adjustable, regulated, side lever action, fairly light, and very accurate gun. I don’t need Fx or Daystate accurate, but I’d like one hole groups with the right pellets at 10yrds, sub 3/8” at 35yrds, sub 3/4” at 50yrds, and sub 1 3/8” at 100yrds or better. I’d also like to know how this gun preforms completely stock in the accuracy department, and does disassembling and changing the regulator pressure void the warranty. I may push that budget to $370 for a metal animal target set and a super cheap 6-24x (or more practically: 6-14mabey 18) Tasco Scope + UTG high rings. I am prepared for a rant :)

Thanks,

Antoni

Funny story, but even though I am (truly) homeschooled, we live in the suburbs of Washington DC with 3 acres of land for me too shoot on and there is not one person that I can name in our 5-person family that knows anything about airguns/guns other then me. I don’t know how I quite got to shooting, but I did, and taught myself everything I know. I was hard-pressed to convince my parents to get my first red ryder, and even more my Hatsan. I need this rifle and not the Benjamin Maximus because I want a fully adjustable, regulated, side lever action, fairly light, and very accurate gun. I don’t need Fx or Daystate accurate, but I’d like one hole groups with the right pellets at 10yrds, sub 3/8” at 35yrds, sub 3/4” at 50yrds, and sub 1 3/8” at 100yrds or better. I’d also like to know how this gun preforms completely stock in the accuracy department, and does disassembling and changing the regulator pressure void the warranty. I may push that budget to $370 for a metal animal target set and a super cheap 6-24x (or more practically: 6-14mabey 18) Tasco Scope + UTG high rings. I am prepared for a rant :)

Thanks,

Antoni

Amen!

AND....

Watch Steven's video.

No need to disassemble the rifle to get to the regulator; thus no voiding the warranty.

Others who know more than I about the Liberty will chime in as well, no doubt.

Fuzzy Grub is a great resource

Ed

Stock, they are usually around 27-28FPE. JSB 15.89g or 18.1g domed pellets usually shoot well, with 21g Barracuda Match shooting better in some. Mine have liked the JSBs, which also seem to load smoother.

I do not recommend you adjusting the regulator wheel back and forth. From my testing with a plenum gauge, the wheel is very imprecise. You can get it back in the same physical location, but the pressure, and hence the velocity, is not what it was. Also, to adjust it, you have to degas the gun, which will be a royal PITA for hand pumping. Unlikely you need more power at your suburbia location. Three acres is allot for your location, but a bad ricochet could put you hot water with your neighbors. If you want a little more power, shimming the hammer spring is easy and reversable.

I would put off getting the parts gun, until you know you are happy with the warrentee gun. I'd also reconsider the wood stock. The weight savings would be mainly for when walking in the field. Freehand shooting this very full size airgun, will be a challenge for both. My bet is, you will end up with a rest, such as sticks, bag, or bipod for the majority of your shooting.

Stock, they are usually around 27-28FPE. JSB 15.89g or 18.1g domed pellets usually shoot well, with 21g Barracuda Match shooting better in some. Mine have liked the JSBs, which also seem to load smoother.

I do not recommend you adjusting the regulator wheel back and forth. From my testing with a plenum gauge, the wheel is very imprecise. You can get it back in the same physical location, but the pressure, and hence the velocity, is not what it was. Also, to adjust it, you have to degas the gun, which will be a royal PITA for hand pumping. Unlikely you need more power at your suburbia location. Three acres is allot for your location, but a bad ricochet could put you hot water with your neighbors. If you want a little more power, shimming the hammer spring is easy and reversable.

I would put off getting the parts gun, until you know you are happy with the warrentee gun. I'd also reconsider the wood stock. The weight savings would be mainly for when walking in the field. Freehand shooting this very full size airgun, will be a challenge for both. My bet is, you will end up with a rest, such as sticks, bag, or bipod for the majority of your shooting.

I have airguns that weigh more and I can handle them just fine. Also, increasing the power is one thing, but I want to be able to tune it down to <20fpe or even <15fpe. Figuring out how much fps or fpe the gun would hand will be a royal pain without a chronograph, and I will not get a precise measurement with measuring the distance and time to reach it using a stopwatch :p 

Edit: By the way, I will shoot the most of the time off hand. I should be able to handle the weight, as it’s the same length of my Hatsan that has more weight then the Liberty. 

Why would degassing it’s be a PITA? Isn’t there just a bleed valve like on AVS’s rifle? Am I missing something?

Why would degassing it’s be a PITA? Isn’t there just a bleed valve like on AVS’s rifle? Am I missing something?

Because filling the Liberty from empty (zero psi) is going to take a lot of pumping.

It might not be a big deal being that you are young but to the older guys like myself, it's a lot of work.

I'm undecided if I like my Liberty which I've had for about a year now.

My Benjamin Marauder (4.5 years old now) has been my most accurate and trouble-free PCP. Crosman is there for service and parts if you need them. They now come with a 5 year warranty! Hand to beat.