Notos with Scuba Tank

i have a Notos. Got it with a hand pump and thats not much fun.
I am looking to charge it with this blue scuba tank... i haven't gotten the tank yet, its out for re-cert at the moment.

How do you adapt a tank like that to the Notos? Can you point me to the right parts?
426153408_1583048559173914_3982634907972558852_n.jpg

you need a fill kit, at least that is what i use, shooting tethered to a large bottle at the bench.
I could of course also fill, and then shoot the 60 or so shots and then fill again, but i am too lazy to do that.

One problem though, my one rifle are just 200 BAR, so to shoot that i need to use my 300 BAR bottles that been depleted some or my old steel 200 BAR one.

I use a kit similar to this one.
pcp-fylde-kit_logo.jpg

(Likely) Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/IORMAN-Adapt...721&sprefix=paintball++adapter,aps,305&sr=8-6 Just the 1st example I found, not a recommendation.

DO make sure of pressure rating.
Not a reason in the world to pay the $100+ many shops charge. I just did a quick look and didnt find it but as it has sat for years if I could find my old one I' d sell it for postage (not and add. don't even know where it might be) as most people have moved on the scba.

John

Reactions: qball
OP, that is an aluminum 80 SCUBA tank. Possibly one of the older 6351 alloy tanks. Do not purchase that tank. It is a 3,000 psi tank and that one has a standard K valve. The Notos takes a 3,650 psi fill pressure, even if that SCUBA tank is a newer 6061 alloy aluminum 80 it is still a 3,000 psi tank.

The problem with surplus (eBay) SCBA tanks or most new China tanks is a SCUBA diving shop is not going to fill them unless they have:

1. DOT stamps
2. Hydro
3. Annual VIP
4. Within 15 years life limit

A DOT approved tank or a SCBA in hydro is much more money. You might be better off to buy something like the CS4 compressor for your Notos.

Actually, the Notos is regulated to around 1800psi, so that's all you would need to be able to supply. A scuba tank, K valve adaptor and long hose would work perfect on a Notos. An 80 ft^3 tank starting at 3000psi would run the gun for hundreds if not thousands of rounds.

Chris

Yes, if that if a 6061 alloy scuba tank (and not an older 6351 which were prone to stress cracks at the neck) and if it were a DIN valve which it appears not to be then it could be useful for shooting off of a whip, tethering. I use my 3,000 psi tanks for that often, well, that and actually SCUBA diving. Yes, there are relatively inexpensive adapters that will allow the use of a DIN male fitting to a K valve equipped cylinder. They are mostly a PITA.

"Yes, there are relatively inexpensive adapters that will allow the use of a DIN male fitting to a K valve equipped cylinder. They are mostly a PITA."

I used them quite a bit when I first started in PCP. I too am a scuba diver, so had the tanks handy. And the adaptors worked OK. Later on, of course, I found out about SCBA tanks and high pressure compressors. But the 3000psi scuba tanks were where I started.

I only pointed out that adaptor because it was handy and a good way to show the OP what he could use. I think I bought my adaptors on amazon or Ebay for 20 or $25. So yes thay can be cheaper.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Sawney Bean
Just an fyi, the best tanks you can get for airgunning are new Scba tanks. They’re lightweight and hold a whole lot of very high pressure air. They’re also quite expensive, so what a lot of us do is buy expired ones which can’t be filled by dive shops but we can fill ourselves if we choose to disregard DOT regulations. These can be quite cheap. I paid $50 each for mine. These will require either a DIN or a CGA fill adaptor to fill your airgun with.

Next best are high pressure steel tanks. These can be filled to 3442 psi and are often quite large. I’ve got a few 119’s. And if they are stamped with a “+” and you have a shop who will do it for you they are ok for a 10% overfill. There is some dispute about this, but you can read up on it extensively on the scuba boards.

High pressure steel tanks are only mediocre tanks for an airgunner however. They are quite heavy and do not give as many good fills as a Scba tank does.

Next best are aluminum 80s or aluminum tanks in general. I believe these are rated to 3000 psi and actually hold 77 cubic feet of air. They’re physically quite large. They don’t hold a lot of air and they’re not particularly high pressure. For an airgunner they are a poor choice.

The worst of all tanks are low pressure steel. They pretty much combine the worst aspects of all the tanks mentioned above with none of their good points. About the only thing I will give low pressure steel tanks credit for is that they were great for shooting tethered from a bench back in the days before regulators.

Reactions: ChrisS
Yup, I have a whole bunch of tanks now that run at 300 bar. First was the Benjamin, still use that, acquired a few more smaller ones from guys here and there that are also 300 bar and do fine. But once I started shooting big bore and in particular 457 and 510 caliber, those little tanks just didn't cut it. So a while back I did the Ebay thing with the out of date SCBA tanks, like $60 plus a valve from Amazon. I've been running a pair of Yong Heng compressors for a while now and can fill the SCBA's myself, so I don't particularly care about them being out of date. At first I did, but as time has gone on, I've learned to just keep an eye on them and handle them accordingly. I use an inline regulator to fill or tether stuff that needs a lower pressure. I would imagine that the OP will arrive at this same point down the road, but in the beginning you (or at least I did) tend to go for the lower cost alternatives. Then you buy better and better stuff as you go.

Chris

Reactions: Sawney Bean
Yup, I have a whole bunch of tanks now that run at 300 bar. First was the Benjamin, still use that, acquired a few more smaller ones from guys here and there that are also 300 bar and do fine. But once I started shooting big bore and in particular 457 and 510 caliber, those little tanks just didn't cut it. So a while back I did the Ebay thing with the out of date SCBA tanks, like $60 plus a valve from Amazon. I've been running a pair of Yong Heng compressors for a while now and can fill the SCBA's myself, so I don't particularly care about them being out of date. At first I did, but as time has gone on, I've learned to just keep an eye on them and handle them accordingly. I use an inline regulator to fill or tether stuff that needs a lower pressure. I would imagine that the OP will arrive at this same point down the road, but in the beginning you (or at least I did) tend to go for the lower cost alternatives. Then you buy better and better stuff as you go.

Chris
Have you heard of anyone using an airgun compressor for breathing air? I’m just curious because I’ve been away from diving for about 15 years now but I noticed my GX CS4 claims to be safe for breathing use. It’s not something I’d want to risk myself, but I figure others probably have tried.

Not sure I'd use my Young Hengs for that, but some of the others may work if you clean up their insides and run vegetable oil in them. Then again, you may be able to just filter the crap out of the fill air. I have looked inside my SCBA tanks with a borescope when changing the o-ring at the neck, and never see anything in there...water, oil or otherwise.

I've wondered that as well. Watch for blue lips? Isn't that what they taught us in class about bad air? Blue lips.

Chris

Not sure I'd use my Young Hengs for that, but some of the others may work if you clean up their insides and run vegetable oil in them. Then again, you may be able to just filter the crap out of the fill air. I have looked inside my SCBA tanks with a borescope when changing the o-ring at the neck, and never see anything in there...water, oil or otherwise.

I've wondered that as well. Watch for blue lips? Isn't that what they taught us in class about bad air? Blue lips.

Chris
We had a guy in the local area who died from bad air while hookah diving. Apparently the boat was anchored and the wind was blowing some of the exhaust into the intake. I’ve never heard of anyone local dying from bad air from a tank though. There were all kinds of hazards I used to worry about back when I was diving but bad air never really crossed my mind.

Just curious as I am new to this and learning. I just ordered a Notos and was planning to use a hand pump. I won't be shooting a ton, more for pest control. I have access to a Scuba tank but I am guessing it is one of the 3000 PSI tanks like mentioned above. Is it possible to hook to that and then top it off with a hand pump? From what I have read once the initial fill is done the hand pump is not horrible to use if the gun is not completely depleted.