Umarex Notos Pellet Jam

From Google searches it seems like some people have had this issue. You load a magazine push the lever forward and the pellet get’s sandwiched/smashed causing you grief in trying to remove the mag.

I received my Notos April 27th 2024 about 8pm. I own many pcp rifles. Not sure why I bought the Notos but once you get the bug you keep buying.

The next day, Sunday the 28th of 2024 I opened the box, cleaned the barrel, mounted the stock and mounted my scope. (UTG 3x9 Bug is a bugger to mount nicely)

While the pump was filling the air, I set up my targets. Close range set up. This is going to be a ground squirrel gun at short range. 20-30yrds max.

Guns full, targets set. I loaded the included mag and the 2 additional mags that I purchased from Pyramid with Crossmans. (500 pellets for under $10 w/Amazon next day for the amount I shoot? No brainer.) (Dedicated -(take time off hunts) I re-zero and use good ammo.)

Pull back the loading lever, pay close attention to the little slide notch and insert my first mag into the Notos. Push the lever forward and feel resistance. Pull it back a notch then move it forward and it feels weird. Won’t even close fully.

The next 15-20 minutes, are spent finding everything I need to carefully extract the mag from my new Notos. I get the mag out and find a sheared, mangled pellet. I inspect the mag and can’t find anything wrong. I insert it again. Push the lever forward and…feel resistance. I pull the lever back pull on the mag and it won’t come out again. Spend another 10-15 minutes carefully removing the mag.

At this point, All I can think of is that the mag is bad. I have 2 more brand new ones so lets try those. I tried both. They both jammed on the first try. OK. I know Crossmans are not that favorable of a pellet so I tried the JSB’s. Same deal. 20 minutes later I loaded up the H&N’s. Same Deal. So now I’m a bit furious. Wife‘s gone with the kids and my shooting time has just been limited severely.

I grab the single shot tray that came with the Notos. I load up a Crossman and…Boom. Loaded perfectly and shot well. Happy to finally shoot. I zeroed in my scope and was hitting dead on like what I’m use to.

Now what in the world is going on with these mags? I took the single shot tray and the mags down to my study to look them over. Here at home I don’t have good tools for precise measurements but with my eye I could see that the little metal stopper on the mags was just a tiny little schosch off from where the stopper was on the single shot try. This little metal stopper is actually a part of the housing for the mag. When you slide the mag into the breech, it sits approximately .5-.75mm too far to the right. (The pellet is not centered, it’s too the right)

I re-loaded all 3 brand new magazines with crossmans, (after tearing the mags apart to make sure all the tension settings were proper) I went back out to the range and slid a mag into the Notos. With my trigger finger, I reached up to the mag and ever so slightly applied pressure moving it to the left just a hair (.5-.75mm) while with my left hand sliding the bolt closed. And it closed like butter. I shot, than I repeated the procedure for a full clip. It worked.

I than used the 2 other mags in the same manor and did not have one jam.

So. After an entire Sunday morning in to late afternoon of frustration, The Notos does shoot very well.

I have sent an email to Pyramid. It’s definitely not their fault. Hopefully they can provide me with a new batch of Mags that work.

I guess the reason I wrote this is because I read other people having issues and there was no Resolve.

However, If I cannot get magazines that load properly without finger assistance, I do not want this Notos.

Sorry for the long post. It’s been a long day. Glad I figured out the cause of the problem. Hope Pyramid has a cure for it. Thanks

Reactions: maxtrouble
I've bought a bunch of Carm and Big Air mags for the Notos, the factory mags are garbage and I have given them all away to customers that wanted them.

Yes, the PP750 seems to be ok with them but of the few I have worked on, they were all the .177 version.

As far as the issues the OP is going through, don't return the gun, its a fantastic lightweight pester and kid friendly shooter. When you are ready, you can mod it if you want more velocity, shoot slugs or reach out further.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

20240428_172148.jpg
20240429_062548.jpg

Last edited:
I have two Notos rifles and, of course, two mags, which are "functioning", but that is not very descriptive, as they feed with lots of force on the first round and then seem to function "ok" after that. One doesn't line the first shot up correctly, and I really haven't messed with the other much. When I had trouble with the first, I bought a handful of Maple Custom Mags and never looked back. I threw the originals in a box of old mags, where they'll likely lay til someday, someone throws them away. Umarex really needs to take a look at them, as the design is solid, but the execution is wanting. The Maple mags never miss a beat and feed like butter.

I have two Notos rifles and, of course, two mags, which are "functioning", but that is not very descriptive, as they feed with lots of force on the first round and then seem to function "ok" after that. One doesn't line the first shot up correctly, and I really haven't messed with the other much. When I had trouble with the first, I bought a handful of Maple Custom Mags and never looked back. I threw the originals in a box of old mags, where they'll likely lay til someday, someone throws them away. Umarex really needs to take a look at them, as the design is solid, but the execution is wanting. The Maple mags never miss a beat and feed like butter.

They don't care. They are simple accessories and can easily be replaced. I offer the Big Air mags for $25 each plus shipping.