Notos or p-rod

Another option is the Hatsan Jet 1. I was originally going to get the notos but in the end I liked that you could just pop the stock off the hatsan. On the notos you need tools to remove it. I did have some accuracy issues at first but after cleaning the barrel that seems to of gone away. It's great for squirrel hunting. I wanted something to bring in the tree stand with me and this breaks down and fits perfectly in my pack. One of the other major reasons I picked this over the notos was the air cylinder is removable (no tools required) and they sell extra cylinders. You could easily carry 2 extra cylinders and that would get you around 70-80 shots.

20230219_173839.jpg

20230224_180444.jpg

20230203_081525.jpg

20230203_081505.jpg

20230208_092755.jpg

Another option is the Hatsan Jet 1. I was originally going to get the notos but in the end I liked that you could just pop the stock off the hatsan. On the notos you need tools to remove it. I did have some accuracy issues at first but after cleaning the barrel that seems to of gone away. It's great for squirrel hunting. I wanted something to bring in the tree stand with me and this breaks down and fits perfectly in my pack. One of the other major reasons I picked this over the notos was the air cylinder is removable (no tools required) and they sell extra cylinders. You could easily carry 2 extra cylinders and that would get you around 70-80 shots.
Thanks. I was looking at that too. I was a little unsure of the short barrel. How is the accuracy out a little ways, like 40 yards?

Reactions: AirFinn88
Get the notos. I don't own one yet, but I've had a Prod and I wouldn't waste the money on one these days. They should be under $250 now, can't believe crosman expects over $400 for one.
Thanks. That’s what it seems like to me too. I would probably get a used prod if I were to go that way. But it still would be more than a brand new notos. All the “specs” appear to be on par with each other

I actually have all 3... They each have their pluses, but as previously mentioned, the Prod is quite dated by today's standards. The side lever action of the Notos is far superior to the bolt action of the Prod (IMHO) and being on the left side, I can easily reload for a second shot without having to take it from my shoulder. The stock attached to the Notos similar to how the stock attached to the Prod, except the Notos uses 4 screws where the Prod only uses 2. So, the stock on the Notos is not prone to the annoying wobble you'll see witht he Prod stock. The plus to the Prod is the vast amount of avaialble aftermarket parts! BuckRail makes some amazing 3D printed parts that will greatly improve the egonomics of the Prod, and they are affordable, albeit, extra!

As for the Jet, it has a lot going for it as well! In comparison, the Notos is longer and is very accurate to 40 yards (furthest I have tested it). The Jet makes about the same power but is better close in (up to 25 yards). The Jet is much shorter and is also lighter than the Notos, and with the ability to add a moderator, it's just as quiet, and much easier to break down and stuff into a backpack. Reassembly in the field would only involve screwing on the moderator and snapping on the stock! Plus, the iron sights on the Jet are very usable, so no optic needed. Longer range, I'd definately recommend the Notos, but for short range with a need to be covert, the Jet can't be beat!

Also, keep in mind, the Notos is regulated and shot count is superiour to both the Prod and Jet 1. I can't speak tot he shot count of the Jet 2 because I don't have one, but I'd think it would be double that os the Jet 1. I get 2 magazines per fill from the Jet and Prod (14 and 16 shots) and 4-5 magazines from the Notos (28-35 shots). Lastly, the Notos and Prod both have adjustable triggers and hammer springs, the Jet does not.

Here is a side by side compreison of the Prod, Notos and Jet 1. The Prod is equipped with the Buckrail moderator, for grip and buffer tube so I can accomodate an AR Style butt stock:

IMG_2426.jpg

Last edited:
i vote notos.
costs less than the prod,
and as a bonus you get a regulated gun.

i love my notos,
its an amazing lightweight little tackdriver.

mine shoots the jsb 15.89 and 18.1
and the fx 15.9 equally well.

backed the hammer spring off about a turn and a half from maxed out,
and it will do 3 mags (21 shots) at 749-752

at one of my permissions the other day i was putting head shots on hosps at around 35yds with no problem at all and no misses.

can you tell im a little biased towards the notos? haha

20230221_173506.jpg

Reactions: L.Leon
Another pistol carbine option coming out is the Benjamin Kyro that looks to be very much like the Jet, but presumably with a lot better warranty and one would assume, a higher build quality.
I am unable to load a picture of it, but it’s in the 2023 catalog lineup. Fill pressure is 3000 psi and shows a velocity of only 600fps. Compared to the Notos that’s fairly anemic.
Best bang for your buck is the Notos right now.

I actually have all 3... They each have their pluses, but as previously mentioned, the Prod is quite dated by today's standards. The side lever action of the Notos is far superior to the bolt action of the Prod (IMHO) and being on the left side, I can easily reload for a second shot without having to take it from my shoulder. The stock attached to the Notos similar to how the stock attached to the Prod, except the Notos uses 4 screws where the Prod only uses 2. So, the stock on the Notos is not prone to the annoying wobble you'll see witht he Prod stock. The plus to the Prod is the vast amount of avaialble aftermarket parts! BuckRail makes some amazing 3D printed parts that will greatly improve the egonomics of the Prod, and they are affordable, albeit, extra!

As for the Jet, it has a lot going for it as well! In comparison, the Notos is longer and is very accurate to 40 yards (furthest I have tested it). The Jet makes about the same power but is better close in (up to 25 yards). The Jet is much shorter and is also lighter than the Notos, and with the ability to add a moderator, it's just as quiet, and much easier to break down and stuff into a backpack. Reassembly in the field would only involve screwing on the moderator and snapping on the stock! Plus, the iron sights on the Jet are very usable, so no optic needed. Longer range, I'd definately recommend the Notos, but for short range with a need to be covert, the Jet can't be beat!

Also, keep in mind, the Notos is regulated and shot count is superiour to both the Prod and Jet 1. I can't speak tot he shot count of the Jet 2 because I don't have one, but I'd think it would be double that os the Jet 1. I get 2 magazines per fill from the Jet and Prod (14 and 16 shots) and 4-5 magazines from the Notos (28-35 shots). Lastly, the Notos and Prod both have adjustable triggers and hammer springs, the Jet does not.

Here is a side by side compreison of the Prod, Notos and Jet 1. The Prod is equipped with the Buckrail moderator, for grip and buffer tube so I can accomodate an AR Style butt stock:

View attachment 335241
Thanks for this very complete answer. You managed to answer every question I have about these 3 little guns and I wasn't even the one asking.

Hello. I’m interested in getting a small carbine pcp, primarily for plinking and maybe some squirrels. It seems like the notos and the p-rod are similar in a lot of ways. A new p-rod is a good bit more expensive than the notos. Can anyone recommend one over the other and why? Or any other options in the $300-400 range? Thanks in advance!
I was recently in your exact situation. I was keeping an eye open for a used Prod, then the Notos was available with a 13% discount. I got the Notos, iron sights, and pellets shipped to my door for $300 - less than the price of most used Prods I was finding. I added a cheap hand pump to the mix, and got into the PCP world for under $350.

I've put almost a tin of pellets through the gun over the last couple of days and I have had a blast. The trigger isn't perfect - even with the adjustability it is a bit crude, but it is definitely better than functional, and there are lots of details on the forum on how to improve it (which will be my next project).

We will see how quality holds over time. I know this is the new cool thing out for lots of us... But I have no regrets, currently.

Good luck!

the notos trigger is super quick and easy to make MUCH better.
and no disassembly necessary.

take out the adjustment screw in the trigger and lightly polish the sharp point so its not sharp,
screw it back in till the first stage wont reset on its own when you release the trigger
(with the gun cocked and pulling through the second stage to the first)
then back it off in small increments till the first stage will reset.

i also added a lighter spring to mine,
and just lightly wiped the trigger parts with silicone.

i mean,
the trigger will never be like my impact,
but its light and crisp now.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAMJET66
One is mostly plastic and made in China. The other is all metal and made in the USA. I have a Prod and it's never given me any issues, not even an oring in around 10 years time. The trigger is nice as well , and the gauge is in a good spot , tons of aftermarket parts available. Accuracy is the most important aspect of shooting and it does not disappoint.

One is mostly plastic and made in China. The other is all metal and made in the USA. I have a Prod and it's never given me any issues, not even an oring in around 10 years time. The trigger is nice as well , and the gauge is in a good spot , tons of aftermarket parts available. Accuracy is the most important aspect of shooting and it does not disappoint.
From what I’ve been reading, I was thinking the notos seems like the way to go….. but this comment sums up why I’m leaning towards the prod. Perhaps I’m going to end up with both. Accuracy at some distance is what I’m most interested in.

Reactions: UCChris
Here are the specs on each for comparison:

Umarex Notos PCP . 22 Caliber Pellet Air Rifle Specifications:
  • Caliber: . 22" (5.5mm)
  • Velocity: 700 FPS.
  • Capacity: 7.
  • Barrel length: 11.75"
  • Safety: Manual.
  • Powerplant: PCP. 3650 psi max fill
  • Side Lever action
  • Muzzle Energy: 13 ft/lbs.
  • Two Stage adjustable trigger
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
  • Caliber: .22 (5.5mm
  • Velocity: 700 FPS
  • Capacity: 8.
  • Barrel Length: 12"
  • Safety: Manual
  • Powerplant: PCP. 3000-psi max fill
  • BOLT ACTION WITH 8-SHOT ROTARY MAGAZINE –
  • Two-stage, drop-sear trigger.
I will say my Prod only made about 600 FPS out of the box. With a JSAR Balanced Valve, it's making close to 750 FPS, whicch is about what the Notos is making right out of the box. The Notos is also quieter than the Prod. Adding a moderator does quiet it significantly, but it's not really all that quiet in stock form. Yes, it is mostly metal, but that also makes it heavier. If you look at most modern side arms these days, most are prodominantly the same polymer materal used on the Notos, and when can handle a lot more energy than the Notos will ever produce, so that's not a huge concern for me...

I've been looking at the Notos for a bit today, and I just can't justify a need for it. The kral mega thumbhole I recently built is 33.5" long, 38 fpe for 24 shots, and shrouded with baffles. Checks all the boxes for me... although it weighs a little more than the notos and I would fancy the left hand cocking lever.

• Wow
Reactions: Perle and L.Leon

View attachment 335241
What pellets are you running in your Jet?

Thanks. I was looking at that too. I was a little unsure of the short barrel. How is the accuracy out a little ways, like 40 yards?
It's pretty solid up to 25 yards. Now that I have the bipod I need to slap a better scope on it and see how far out I can get. I'd imagine anything over 30 yards is going to be difficult but maybe.

The Notos is definitely NOT mostly plastic. The top rail and the stock are plastic.
This is not to say the Prod is not higher quality, but it also comes with a considerably higher price tag, it isn’t regulated and is heavier.

Reactions: Dog and Perle