• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Notos or DAR gen 3?

I already have both a carbine (AEA HP semi) and a rifle (AVA) in 25 cal, but want something in .22 that will shoot CPHP's well.
CPHP's are cheap (have 20 tins), so I'll be shooting this gun a LOT on my ranch. I also have a scoped Diana Bandit in .22 cal that I use for closer range pesting and plinking - it works awesome with the CPHP's!

I'm kind of leaning towards the DAR as I'd like a nice traditional looking wood stock rifle that is probably a bit more powerful... my 25 cal AVA is plastic.
Notos is lighter and smaller a great for pesting, but my Diana pistol is also light and good for that.

What do you guys think?
Your search for the perfect and extremely accurate Walnut stocked, traditional rifle is the $900 BSA R10 .22 from Air Guns of Arizona. Look no further. You will hand down this rifle to your heirs. This gun will stack pellets if you do your part.

1685506808112.png

Reactions: MOhunter
  • Haha
Reactions: MOhunter
My .22 cal DAR arrived, I gave the barrel a clean, sighted it in and...

Here are the results - 40 yards with gusting 20 mph winds. I tried my best to take the shots when the wind was down but I got sick of waiting at the end, as the wind wouldn't cooperate.

5 shot groups. The first 6 groups (shooting the groups left to right, top to bottom) were with CPHP's 14.3 gr on a single fill. The rest were JSB 15.89 gr.

As I said I didn't bother shooting the last 6 rounds with the JSB's due to the wind.

I gotta say, I'm super impressed with this gun. Seems like a steal for $299. Magazines are awesome, good trigger, smooth cocking and nice balance. Best of all it's doing well with the cheap pellets. But said pellets do not cycle smoothly. The JSB's were no problem, but I had to manipulate the magazine sometimes to get the CPHP's to feed into the breach. Not sure what to make of that...

Anyway, I still want a no toes as well... :D

DAR gen 3.jpg

Last edited:
nice groups for windy day, I think everyone should have a small light weight Carbine, like a Notos or a Prod, I have both and out of the 2 the Notos is my favorite, more power and more accurate also easy to convert to a Bottle..... :eek: ;)

View attachment 362901

Nice looking gun for sure! Looks just like my AEA HP carbine.

I joke with Dr K that the Notos is so boring. Truly a gun that needs nothing to be good. Its a gun you don’t stress about. I may have used the word “ Goldilocks”

Firewalker as well …. His is pretty awesomely augmented

Really a very capable carbine

(And no I’m not a paid spokes- person for Umarex. … )

I'm loving my DAR Gen 3. It's just what I wanted and it seems to be cycling this new tin of CPHP's a lot better.

But you guys sure are making it hard to resist getting a Notos. Fathers day is coming up.... coincidence? I think not.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I joke with Dr K that the Notos is so boring. Truly a gun that needs nothing to be good. Its a gun you don’t stress about. I may have used the word “ Goldilocks”

Firewalker as well …. His is pretty awesomely augmented

Really a very capable carbine

(And no I’m not a paid spokes- person for Umarex. … )

Awwwwww.... 😇

Reactions: Perle
I"m a Notos owner and love the little thing. I've never owned/shot a DAR but it does look really nice. Anyway, I can tell you I love my Notos. If you go this route, I'm sure you'll be happy.
I have a DAR gen 3 in .25. I have shot about 300 pellets through it. All is good. I also ordered a Notos. It is not here yet! Just waiting.

Reactions: DirtyGator
Phil, how do you like your DAR now? I have a Notos .22 which I really like, but I’m looking for a .25 carbine. I like the looks and weight of the DAR, but I may wait a month for the AvengeX tactical, and eventually get all 3 cal. I saw some online videos, and kinda like the DAR. Thx
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw your post today.

I'm still loving my DAR! It's very accurate but with the caveat that the first few shots don't seem to be as accurate as the rest.

It also feels like a high quality item. That metal mag, the cocking lever/action are all above and beyond what I have experienced in any other airgun I've owned, including Notos (just bought one), M-Rod, Bandit pistol, AVA and AEA.

I get about 30 shots on out of my .22 cal DAR and it's quite enough. But can't speak to the .25 version.

The AvengerX looks like it could be a winner, but it's considerably higher price point than the DAR.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
So, I bought a Notos last week. I couldn't resist the $220 price at Natchez!

Here's my take... the notos is an impressive little gun. I'm able to hit a 1.25" spinner at 60 yards most of the time. It's light weight makes it great for off hand shooting.

The DAR has a much nicer mag, trigger (out of the box) and slide lever action, plus it's significantly more accurate (first few shots not included).

The notos is more versatile, better suited to pesting or hunting on foot. If you're going to be shooting/pesting off a bench most of the time, then the DAR is all that and a bag of chips.

One last thing, the notos does seem to have better first shot accuracy. That counts for a lot for pesting & hunting IMHO.

Reactions: LMNOP
Mine loves 14.3 CPDs and CPHPs out to 50-65 yards. For all the PCPs I have owned and own the Notos is by far my favorite from an aspect of fun.

Shot count: 21
Low: 761
Hi: 768
Avg: 765
Spread: 7
STD Dev: 2.4
Yeah. It really is that good!
It’s crazy …. Long term is the only question not fully answered …. But it’s looking good so far.

Home run for Umarex

Reactions: LMNOP
Getting the DAR .25 today. I really wanted to go with JTS AMax but it’s 1.5 lbs heavier. I do think it’s worth the extra money if that weight didn’t matter. What pellets are you using for plinking in DAR .25? The Notos is a real jewel. I tried a bug buster on it and just could not get lined up behind it. I put a long eye relief scope up higher and further up front and all is well. This new hobby is alot like the others…lol

Reactions: Phil.Probe