Notos customizing

Got some sample .25 cal mags from my body Darco yesterday for my Big Daddy notos. Got to try em this morning for function. It works flawlessly as expected.I also noticed I had a lot of free travel before the probe hit the magazine. So I loaded one pellet and remove the magazine, I then de-cocked the hammer. I removed the barrel to see were the pellet seats. Low and behold the pellet skirt was partially exposed on the elongated transfer port. I can't believe I over looked this when I calculated the probe length. I copied the old dimension and did not factor the port length after elongating it, lol. This caused air to blow by the pellet towards the muzzle. Got it corrected and wow, big jump from under 30 to 38 fpe. And look at the big holes on the leaves from the .25, lol.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

Well, it was really fun hunting with the Notos (Big Daddy) this past season. Got multiple limits of grouse and cotton tail rabbits. I had a few long shots that required follow up shots, so I decided to tweak it some more. Got it to push 42 FPE with the original design puppet valve. I may make another balance valve for this after I finish the wood stock project for Mamma Notos.

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

image000001.JPG

I'm back working on Mama Notos, I decided to keep it .22 cal. Finished turning down the Lothar Walter barrel to 12 mm O.D. This will save some weight but requires a tensioner to make barrel rigid. OAL for barrel is 18.5" and I made a tension/air striper nut for the carbon fiber shroud. Also made provision for external moderator. I'm using a take off trigger from a Weatherby vanguard rifle. This however requires a redesign of the sear, you can't cock it without pressing the trigger unless this mod is done. Also because I'm using a new design regulator/ plenum combo, I opened the airblock to 6.5 mm to make sure there is no pressure differential at firing moment between the chambers.

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

My brother likes my Ataman AP16, but since it's currently unavailable, he asked me to shorten one of his Notos. I call it the poormans AP16, lol. I cut the barrel down to 200mm and shorten tank, shroud and rail accordingly. Also opened up the end caps to regain volume in the tank. Net volume is 72 cc and yields 27 regulated shot at 715 f/sec. with crosman 14.3. Not bad, slightly faster than my AP 16.

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

Last edited:
My brother likes my Ataman AP16, but since it's currently unavailable, he asked me to shorten one of his Notos. I call it the poormans AP16, lol. I cut the barrel down to 200mm and shorten tank, shroud and rail accordingly. Also opened up the end caps to regain volume in the tank. Net volume is 72 cc and yields 27 regulated shot at 715 f/sec. with crosman 14.3. Not bad, slightly faster than my AP 16.

View attachment 415839

View attachment 415840
Another beautiful conversion! What's the OAL?

Reactions: markhooper
Another beautiful conversion! What's the OAL?
It's 350mm, same as AP16 long. I may make one for myself, I want to make a compact version. Problem is tank volume, the regulator takes too much volume out. I order an BSA CLX tank from Bagnali & Kirkwood, this have bigger diameter. So new Huma reg and a new block with bigger offset is required.

Well, it was really fun hunting with the Notos (Big Daddy) this past season. Got multiple limits of grouse and cotton tail rabbits. I had a few long shots that required follow up shots, so I decided to tweak it some more. Got it to push 42 FPE with the original design puppet valve. I may make another balance valve for this after I finish the wood stock project for Mamma Notos.

View attachment 413382

View attachment 413383

View attachment 413384
Genob what stock is on this Notos? Did you modify the original one? I like it, sharp looking.

The poorman's Ataman AP pistol that me and my younger brother collaborated has morphed to a Notos Rocket 2. It's finally done, and he is tuning it now for better efficiency. He is getting 722 f/sec average with 14.3 CPHP out of the 200 mm barrel. Reg is @ 1.8 k with lighter poppet valve spring along with 1 full coil cut from hammer spring. Adjuster back out all the way. I made the tank adapter and end cap for gauge with QD foster. He can still go back to the single cut down tank if he want's it.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

View attachment 413382

View attachment 413383

View attachment 413384
where is the balance valve?

Reactions: Simplyhooked PCPs
here's what I did to mine, thanks to firewalker and Dallas.. I shortened the barrel 4" and have a 3d printed moderator so it is all inside the shroud, moderator is vented to inside the shroud.. couldn't have done it without Dallis sourcing the moderator.. I was totally surprised that it is more accurate with the new barrel crown and quieter than the factory moderator.. I lost around 100 fps but at least I can shoot it freehand

IMG_20240122_165247164.jpg

IMG_20240122_161502973.jpg

IMG_20240122_165309036.jpg

IMG_20240122_165321112.jpg

Reactions: Genob and Bramezy
My friend wants to know if there's anyone doing custom work on the Notos barrel? He wants to remove the stock moderator and have it threaded for an add on. If there's anyone that can help him, please email him at [email protected].

Thanks in advance,
Simplyhooked PCPs
I'd suggest firewalker, but if he can't do it because he's got other things going on, I can do it.. there's several things that have to be considered, likely a front shroud bushing, plus does he want the barrel to extend past the muzzle and use a thread protector, or inside threads on the front bushing and a back to back adapter for a moderator, to keep the length shorter without the moderator..
personally I really like having the moderator inside the shroud so it is under 16" long..
I'll try to attach a picture of the shroud and barrel disassembled.. the factory moderator actually holds the inner shroud tube in place and it also keeps the shroud centered on the barrel.. I can do a really good recrown in the lathe with a stone in the attached die grinder..in spite of the barrel being 4" shorter on mine the recrown really improved accuracy.. I didn't change any factory settings..
Mark

IMG_20240103_210205548~2.jpg

IMG_20240122_161502973.jpg

The poorman's Ataman AP pistol that me and my younger brother collaborated has morphed to a Notos Rocket 2. It's finally done, and he is tuning it now for better efficiency. He is getting 722 f/sec average with 14.3 CPHP out of the 200 mm barrel. Reg is @ 1.8 k with lighter poppet valve spring along with 1 full coil cut from hammer spring. Adjuster back out all the way. I made the tank adapter and end cap for gauge with QD foster. He can still go back to the single cut down tank if he want's it.

View attachment 422385

View attachment 422386

View attachment 422390

View attachment 422391
have you thought about making a shroud air tube over the barrel? evinix viper is like that along with FX Drs, Barra and JTS are behind but following the FX Drs.. a little more air in the same space, without making the gun larger..
Mark