Umarex Notos conundrum.

After reading several threads and watching multiple reviews, I recently purchased an Umarex Notos to fill a PCP carbine niche in my small collection of air rifles, and I'm planning to modify it similar to this thread (https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/i-sipped-the-notos-kool-aid.1299436/post-1593550) thanks to several posts there by other enthusiasts. The package arrived during the week, and I wasn't able to take it out and shoot it until two days after it was delivered. The rifle arrived already charged, but was about 500 PSI below full. After cleaning the barrel and mounting a scope, I sighted in and shot the carbine with my FX Chronograph. The rifle was shooting very well with Crosman Premier HPs, just like a lot of others experienced. I was very pleased with the carbine's performance right out of the box. I am planning to modify the carbine with a regulated drop block and CF bottle in place of the stock regulator and tube.

After shooting, I topped off the carbine to maximum pressure and set it against the wall in my office (conditioned space). Overnight, most of the air leaked out of the reservoir. It completely emptied by mid-day. I have contacted the re-seller and am awaiting a response from them. The carbine is completely stock, and the dealer is very reputable, so I expect a repair or exchange to be relatively easy.

Here's my conundrum:

All of the modification parts arrived today (plenum, drop block, and CF bottle). Should I RMA the carbine for a new one that doesn't leak, or just go ahead with the modifications I planned to do anyway? These would be pretty significant mods on my part (in that I have only added a power plenum and tactical kit to an FX Dreamline - parts made by FX for their rifle). I don't know where the carbine is leaking from, but I'm guessing that there's a good chance my changes will fix the problem, since I'm basically replacing the entire reservoir and regulator system (including gauges).

Thank you in advance for any advice/insight.

Reactions: Dogowsky
I've done almost 180 Notos conversions so far but I've yet to see this happen to one.

The valve is brass, it would present a great opertunity for a bit of something to get lodged in the seat and bleed down.

Cock it, top it off and fire it several times, see if that does it then use soapy water on it to see where it's leaking.

If you can't find the leak, put a balloon over the moderator end see if it starts to fill. If it does, the poppet is open and is leaking passed the seat.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate the feedback. I haven't heard back from the vendor yet, and my plan is to try Firewalker's suggestions to see if that fixes the problem. I will post here to let everyone know if the "cock, fill & fire" method works, or if I have to go on a leak hunt. If I have to go on a leak hunt, I will probably RMA.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate the feedback. I haven't heard back from the vendor yet, and my plan is to try Firewalker's suggestions to see if that fixes the problem. I will post here to let everyone know if the "cock, fill & fire" method works, or if I have to go on a leak hunt. If I have to go on a leak hunt, I will probably RMA.
Yeah that hopefully takes care of it and it’s non invasive. Where did you buy it if you don’t mind sharing?

Well...I tried the fill & fire several times suggestion to see if that would possibly clear some errant debris holding a valve open and fix the problem. The reseller (Airguns of Arizona) contacted me vial email and phone with an RMA number right away, so I have sent the unit back for an exchange.

I cannot say enough how easy the return process has been working with Airguns of Arizona. I will be buying from them again and recommend them to anyone looking to purchase an airgun or related equipment. They are responsive and extremely helpful.

I am looking forward to getting my replacement rifle so I can take it out and shoot it! The first one was accurate right out of the box and a lot of fun to shoot (just like everyone else experienced).

• Love
Reactions: Genob
After reading several threads and watching multiple reviews, I recently purchased an Umarex Notos to fill a PCP carbine niche in my small collection of air rifles, and I'm planning to modify it similar to this thread (https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/i-sipped-the-notos-kool-aid.1299436/post-1593550) thanks to several posts there by other enthusiasts. The package arrived during the week, and I wasn't able to take it out and shoot it until two days after it was delivered. The rifle arrived already charged, but was about 500 PSI below full. After cleaning the barrel and mounting a scope, I sighted in and shot the carbine with my FX Chronograph. The rifle was shooting very well with Crosman Premier HPs, just like a lot of others experienced. I was very pleased with the carbine's performance right out of the box. I am planning to modify the carbine with a regulated drop block and CF bottle in place of the stock regulator and tube.

After shooting, I topped off the carbine to maximum pressure and set it against the wall in my office (conditioned space). Overnight, most of the air leaked out of the reservoir. It completely emptied by mid-day. I have contacted the re-seller and am awaiting a response from them. The carbine is completely stock, and the dealer is very reputable, so I expect a repair or exchange to be relatively easy.

Here's my conundrum:

All of the modification parts arrived today (plenum, drop block, and CF bottle). Should I RMA the carbine for a new one that doesn't leak, or just go ahead with the modifications I planned to do anyway? These would be pretty significant mods on my part (in that I have only added a power plenum and tactical kit to an FX Dreamline - parts made by FX for their rifle). I don't know where the carbine is leaking from, but I'm guessing that there's a good chance my changes will fix the problem, since I'm basically replacing the entire reservoir and regulator system (including gauges).

Thank you in advance for any advice/insight.
RMA, get a fresh one to start with ! once you take apart your zip on warrantee