• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Noticed something strange tonight with my RAW HM1000

Wondering if anyone else has seen this, or has any idea why it would be the case. I was doing a routine Chrony check on my RAW tonight and I noticed that every time I changed out the magazine the first shot out of the mag the velocity drops by an average of 5 FPS. I ran 6 mags through and 5 out of the 6 the first shot dropped by at least 5 PFS below the average. The extreme spread on 72 shots was only 12 FPS, so still very good even with the first shot drops. It drops below 10 FPS if I exclude the first shot out of each mag from the calculation. Seems totally bizarre to me. Anyone else seen this or have any idea why it would be the case?

Yes it seems to be relatively normal. Mine has done that since new and my regulated .22 Marauder does that as well. It seem the regulator creeps a bit in the time it takes to load a mag or if its been sitting for a bit. Not an issue unless you are shooting for tight groups at longer ranges. If you take more time between shots it may even out a bit as well.

I'm pretty sure that its an established norm that regulators need more than a couple seconds to equalize fully from one shot to the next. When I put the Airgun Exporter regulator in my .177 Marauder it had suggested settings for either fast settling, or waiting for more consistent pressure. I may not have said that quite right. I set it for fast settling, but if I wait 15 seconds between shots it still shoots at a more consistent speed from shot to shot. 

The drop you see may simple be that when it equalizes fully the pressure is just a hair more than your valve, hammer etc setup is design to be optimum at. Regulated guns are subject to the same forces as unregulated guns in that respect, but because the pressure is close to the same you don't usually see the curve until you drop off the regulator. 

My .177 Marauder actually comes up just slightly as it come off the regulator before it starts to drop. 

its common on all PCP's when you release air that's under pressure the temperature changes and when your loading your mag the air temp is stabilizing witch also interferes with the pressure so when you take the first shot of your new mag the air temp and pressure is different from your last shot from you last mag. Am I making sense? its been a long day.

I went outside today with the Chrony and got some really big swings. Prior to today, I've been doing all my testing inside using LED puck lights, but now I'm not convinced those lights are providing accurate readings so I just ordered the light kit for my ProChrono Digital. Should be here before next weekend, so I will run some additional shot strings with the new light kit. I will also try waiting at least 15 seconds between shots to see if that makes any difference.

I did send a note to Martin at RAW. I will let you guys know what he has to say.

I also noticed something very similar chronying my un-regulated FX Indy, and in my case, I think hammer spring set (fatigue after being cocked for some time) was the culprit, as nothing else would expliain the phenomenon.
Could it be that between changing the magazines you keep the hammer cocked for a bit longer, thus 'tiring' it a tiny bit? Should be easy to test.

Did a little more testing with this rifle today after picking up an OEM light kit for my CE ProChrono. Definitely get more consistent results with the OEM light kit than what I was getting with the LED puck lights from Lowes. I also found that the rifle was shooting slower than I thought. For some reason the LED puck lights read about 10 FPS faster than the OEM light kit. No idea why, but my rifle was only pushing the JSB Kings at 814 FPS avg so I adjusted the HST to put it back up to 835 FPS and it seems to be working fine now. I'm not sure if the hammer spring lost some tension as the rifle broke in, or if the adjuster is backing off over time for some reason. Will have to keep an eye on the velocity for a bit and see if backs off again, but at this point I'm assuming it was just the spring breaking in. Increasing the velocity also seems to have stopped the first pellet out of the mag velocity drop I was seeing. Updated shot string after the HST adjustments below.