• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Noticable difference in accuracy for higher price mounts?

Hi All, 

I usually use rings in the $30-$60 dollar range and am wondering if anyone's noticed a difference in accuracy by paying for more expensive mounts. 

Even between $30 and $60 I feel like I dont notice much difference. I have $30 Vortex tactical rings that's shoot the same as my $60 Vortex Pro, and have a few Warne's that all seem to shoot the same regardless of model.

As long as it's not the cheapest set of rings you can find, I'm wondering if most other rings are pretty much the same accuracy wise? 

Thanks 

I use Sportsmatch fully adjustable rings a lot for airguns. They provide lots of adjustment if needed. I do not believe that they provide any more stable mounting than less expensive mounts (thus not more "accurate") but they do provide adjustment if needed. Also contrary to what some people say I also don't believe that they are any less stable because of their adjustability. I've used them on magnum springers with no problems and once locked they retain zero as well as any other ring type. They are a simply a device that provides a use (adjustment) if it is needed. 

I also use the 30 to 60 dollar range of rings. But I have always marked the tops and bottoms with a small stamp set so I always have all the pieces used in the same way each time. Weaver rings were always around 30 bucks. I've always had great results with them.

That's a good tip about marking. I'll have to try that.

And good points about adjustability. That's fair to pay more for that option. 

One thing I see with the less expensive rings is they are rarely truly round. I lap all of my scope rings (even the expensive ones) and the cheaper ones are always way out. This is one major cause of ring marks. With scopes costing more and more I prefer not to worry about damaging a tube. (The point I was getting to) As far and holding zero, when the rings are making full contact with the scope there is lees chance of movement with the same torque on the screws. The same goes for the base, the better machining the stronger the hold. all of this is just my opinion but it makes sense to me. One more thing to mention...Ive never had ring marks after lapping, no matter the cost of the rings...

One thing I see with the less expensive rings is they are rarely truly round. I lap all of my scope rings (even the expensive ones) and the cheaper ones are always way out. This is one major cause of ring marks. With scopes costing more and more I prefer not to worry about damaging a tube. (The point I was getting to) As far and holding zero, when the rings are making full contact with the scope there is lees chance of movement with the same torque on the screws. The same goes for the base, the better machining the stronger the hold. all of this is just my opinion but it makes sense to me. One more thing to mention...Ive never had ring marks after lapping, no matter the cost of the rings...

Interesting.... I never thought about that, but sounds logical to me... And it does seem to explain the scope rings.... 

it is a matter of being confident in the quality of you mounts....for most springers a one piece mount is paramount ...and for some rifles you want a one pc. mount that levels or convensates for barrel droop ...more screws the better,steel better than aluminum.

I have a scope mounting kit that comes with two solid cylinders that have pointed ends....before mounting scope you put the pointed ends into each mount and the points should be touching exactly point to point....then you know your rings are aligned.....

What I am trying to get across=mounting a scope is a step by step process and each component must be in harmony with the other.oummm,oummmm. sometimes the groves.etc in rifle can be a little off....adjustable rings =bore and reticle alignment.

For me... The more expensive rings are not as much about accuracy as they are about protecting the scope. As several have said, as you go up in quality, the chances of having rings that are symmetrical should be better. This helps align the scope better but also protects your scope when you tighten it down. If they are not aligned, when you tighten them, the pressure put on the scope tubes is not even, and can cause damage. It could just be cosmetic, which none of us like ugly scope rings, but it could also result in internal damage as well. I use better rings and a torque wrench to protect my scope.

Do the high price mounts..close better..? Does the gaps on the side are almost not noticeable..? If it is I might try some...because I have noticed tha the gaps in my utg mounts are to big and the top usually looks canted..

Depends on what you are getting. Most all of the rings I've used don't close all the way and do leave a gap. I've used cheap ones and expensive ones. There is a gap between the two pieces in most all of them, and it is apparently there for a reason. I don't believe I've ever owned a standard set of rings that closed all the way (NF, Badger, Seekins, Vortex, Kelbly, UTG, etc). You have to manage the gap. I take turns on every screw turning a little at a time, and turning each by the same amount (making an x pattern), so that I am tightening the screws down the same distance, so as to keep the them tightened evenly.