Not trustworthy

Mod Edit:. Moved from Forum Feedback to general discussion.

Member lied about sending out money order and made up a story about filing a claim with the usps. I waited before posting this as he was supposed to call me back after church and no call which confirms he was full of you know what! I wouldn't care but I was looking out for something that obviously wasn't never coming😡

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are accepting money orders as payment you should require that funds are mailed in a limited time (suggest 48 hours) frame and that they be sent priority mail and a tracking # is provided. This assures you are not going to get flaked. If the buyer cannot meet the time frame, move onto the next buyer.
buying online from private parties requires some steps to make sure the transaction is completed smoothly. Some simple rules keep the flakes at bay and the transaction moving along without delay.

Mod Edit:. Moved from Forum Feedback to general discussion.

Member lied about sending out money order and made up a story about filing a claim with the usps. I waited before posting this as he was supposed to call me back after church and no call which confirms he was full of you know what! I wouldn't care but I was looking out for something that obviously wasn't never coming😡
Please DM me complete details

Reactions: Dogtrix
I haven't used a USPS M.O. for a while now. But when I did I wrapped it in foil and stuck it between 2 pieces of cardboard then put it in a standard mailing envelope. As long as it is 3/4" thick, I can mail it 1st. Class w/tracking (Cheaper than certified mail, and doesn't require a signature.) This way at least the buyer knows an effort is done on my end to get the funds to him.

Reactions: beerthief
PayPal goods and services friends. I don't like the company or fees but its simply the safest for both parties
Actually it's not. PayPal (and Venmo) is anti gun and has other policies in place to seize your account and/or lock it so you can't access your money. Also, when trying to get a refund, they drag their feet, I say that from personal experience too. Took over two weeks to have my money refunded back to my credit card. This was through no fault of the vendor that I returned the goods to.

Also, if you collect payment using goods and services, you will receive a 1099K once your transactions exceed $600 in total. That will need to be filed starting with your 2023 taxes. For those of you that say you'll claim it as a loss will have to provide receipts and reach thresholds.

PayPal goods and services friends. I dont like the company or fees but its simply the safest for both parties
I always use USPS money order .
USPS money order is the best form of payment to use. Easy to detect if it's fraudulent, and can be cashed at the post office (if they enough in the drawer).

Also, it's a federal crime to counterfeit them and if it's used through the mail system, it's mail fraud, another federal crime.

I will also use a certified bank check. You can verify them easily by calling the issuing bank. When you get the check to send someone, the bank pulls the money directly out of your account. It can't bounce and it can't be cancelled once presented for payment.

Also, I sometimes take personal checks, but only from members with a lot of positive feedback and I wait two weeks to ship to make sure it's cleared (regardless of what the bank says).

Last edited:
If your bank takes Zelle, it is the way to go. No fees, bank to bank transfer.
I agree. I recently used Zelle for the first time, as I've always avoided any third party involvement in a payment. But, that's not Zelle. All you need is the other party's phone number or email, depending on how they set up their account. That sounds pretty casual, but in order to consummate the transfer, it has to go through your bank site, which is generally protected by high level encryption. So, unless a hacker has gotten through your bank's security, it's safe.
As for any restrictions by Zelle for payment for goods and services, I don't know, and I've only used for transfers to an individual. Anti-gun? I don't really care about a service provider's politics, if I get what I need.

Reactions: ChuckInOhio
I agree. I recently used Zelle for the first time, as I've always avoided any third party involvement in a payment. But, that's not Zelle. All you need is the other party's phone number or email, depending on how they set up their account. That sounds pretty casual, but in order to consummate the transfer, it has to go through your bank site, which is generally protected by high level encryption. So, unless a hacker has gotten through your bank's security, it's safe.
As for any restrictions by Zelle for payment for goods and services, I don't know, and I've only used for transfers to an individual. Anti-gun? I don't really care about a service provider's politics, if I get what I need.
So with Zelle if you are essentially just doing a money transfer, why not use PP F&F? Please explain the difference.

BTW - Zelle is fraught with fraud and scams. IMO there is no truly safe option.