Not the best of days…

For the past 7 year’s I have had the honor of the constant companionship of my American Staffordshire Terrier, Rocky! Rocky was 5 years old when he picked me to be his friend. I was going through a tough time in life and just coming to grips with my health and mental stability.
The Veterans Administration got me enrolled in a service dog program and after 7 months of training Rocky and I were a certified team, battle buddies for life!
I’ve lost friends in combat and today I feel the same I did back then, my Rocky was suffering and we decided to let him rest eternally. My airgun brother’s, this is a terrible feeling but I wanted to recognize my Rocky. He went to the range with me, went hunting with me and was the best friend in the world. To Rocky!!!!!!!
2B645D53-9DED-45C3-9A1A-7B56DEE7DE90.jpeg
RIP my brother…

For the past 7 year’s I have had the honor of the constant companionship of my American Staffordshire Terrier, Rocky! Rocky was 5 years old when he picked me to be his friend. I was going through a tough time in life and just coming to grips with my health and mental stability.
The Veterans Administration got me enrolled in a service dog program and after 7 months of training Rocky and I were a certified team, battle buddies for life!
I’ve lost friends in combat and today I feel the same I did back then, my Rocky was suffering and we decided to let him rest eternally. My airgun brother’s, this is a terrible feeling but I wanted to recognize my Rocky. He went to the range with me, went hunting with me and was the best friend in the world. To Rocky!!!!!!!
View attachment 283678
RIP my brother…
My heart hurts for you. Tough.

Rob

Reactions: ram2jeep
Hit me in the heart brother! The loss is devastating, I know. Be comforted in knowing that how deeply you feel about him, he felt that for you in spades.
There is no other connection in life that's like the bonding between man & dog, our CREATOR'S gift to us. Be grateful you had that & may be able to give the fruits of that gift to another who might need you (& vice versa). May your grief lighten quickly (Rocky would want it that way!)

View attachment 283678
RIP my brother…
My little guy when I get home no matter how hard a day I’ve had makes me smile... that unconditional love never gets old. My heartfelt condolences to you.

So sorry for your loss. RIP Rocky.
We recently had to put a pet to sleep that we had for 14 years. She needed to get a treatment requiring anesthesia but vet said she would not survive it. She totally dominated our hearts and souls. I DO feel your pain. It will get better. Enjoy your memories together.
Randy

I am sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to say goodbye under those circumstances and all of the questions that will remain unanswered until we follow them. But it is well worth it to have had such a friend.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
- Will Rogers

tough time to go through. I am a dog person, have 4 of them.
The problem with dogs is that we blithely go through our time with them thinking this is the best gift we can imagine and that the dog asks so little in return. Then the bill comes due for all the love, loyalty and service they provided us. One of the few things in life we don't really pay for until it is time to say goodbye.
Understand that and the pain becomes tolerable. Then repeat the cycle. It is what your buddy Rocky would ask if he could.

Sorry to hear about this. It’s always tough when a beloved pet dies, harder than most of us expect it to be. I grew up a dog person, but later. In life ended up with two cats when my kids brought them home from a friend. Well, the kids left for college and the cats stayed. They lived with me for 21 years! Both of them died in 2019 (January and September). I was devastated!

The only good news is that the good memories stay with you forever.

Reactions: ram2jeep