Not So Afraid of Chinese Compressor Guts Any More

Based on another thread posted here in early January, I purchased a 'Diablo' HPA compressor off eBay:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/has-anybody-checked-these-out-yet3500hours-before-maintence/

eBay Diablo Compressor

To my eyes the Diablo compressor:

Diablo eBay Pic.1613920967.jpg

Looks very much like an HPDAVV SCU-50:

HPDAVV SCU-50.1613921000.jpg

but with a built in cooling system consisting of a motorcycle radiator, an extra fan, a coolant pump and a 12VDC convertor to run the pump and cooling fan. In the end, so many of these Chinese sourced compressors seem to utilize the same parts, as many of the internal compressor parts also seem to be similar or identical to those used in the Tuxing double cylinder compressors, like the Tuxing TXED011:

Tuxing.1613921288.jpg

My first 'Diablo' compressor was purchased for a total cost of $463 with shipping and sales tax. My saga of preparing the compressor, break in, initial non-building of pressure, eventual working, fairly quick failure, and then getting it working again are described in the above thread. When it failed (which ended up being only a failure of the main power switch - a $2 part and perhaps a common failure point), the eBay seller refunded my entire payment price (including the shipping cost). So with a free, non-running compressor I chose to replace the older technology (and cheap to produce) control system with more modern components, and got it running again with an out-of-pocket cost of maybe $25-$30 and a bit of my time. This first compressor is still running strong for me and I use it almost daily.

When the eBay seller put up another 10 units for sale they added a discount for purchasing multiple units, plus the shipping cost of $100 was the same if you bought 1 or 10 units. Along with a 5% eBay Bucks promotion going on at the time, I purchased 4 more of the Diablos at a cost of $325/unit, including shipping and sales tax. I figured that I could likely get some of them to work, and if nothing else have a couple as parts units.

This lot of 4 compressors arrived in pretty rough shape. Some were missing components (although others, fortunately had extra components😁), and 3 of the 4 were received covered in compressor oil. It seems like the eBay seller purchased maybe a bankruptcy lot of these compressors, but really didn't understand what they were. Whereas they may have been prepared for over-the-counter sale, they were definitely not in a suitable condition to be shipped. They had left the crankcase breathers on, instead of re-installing the metal plug on the compressor crankcase, and during 'typical' handling of a bulky/heavy item by FedEx/UPS, they had not stayed upright and almost all of the crankcase oil had leaked out and had gotten all over everything. One even had a specification label on it which said that it was a 220V unit, where these were advertised as 110V units. Since these were in much worse shape than my initial one, missing parts, etc., I initiated a return request through eBay even before trying them out. Within minutes of that request, the eBay seller had once again issued a full refund, and again specified to just keep them.

O.K., so now I have 5 free Diablo HPA compressors...

(As a note, these compressors may have once been sold through AOA as a less expensive or in-house brand. The initial US distributor, no longer in business, was located in Las Vegas. And one of the 4 I purchased had its previous shipping labels removed, but in Sharpie written on the outer box it specified 'Return to Rich at AOA.')

So I started prepping the units as I learned to do with my first one. (And, in the case with these, cleaning off a LOT of spilled compressor oil which had gotten EVERYWHERE). Basically they seem to be of a reasonable design, but cost-cutting shortcuts were taken during manufacturing. Flexible silicone coolant hoses are run over hot and/or sharp metal parts, so I immediately armor these hoses with fiberglas mesh wire wrap, and re-route them (or replace, as necessary. The same silicone tubing is apparently used in home beer brewing, so it is readily available on Amazon). I dump out any remaining oil in the compressor, and re-fill with true compressor oil. I fill the cooling system with a 50:50 mix of anti-freeze, and include a couple ounces of Water Wetter for better cooling performance. Then I run them for 10 minutes with zero load and allow them to cool before trying to generate any pressure.

Out of the second set of 4, 2 units immediately made good volume and pressure up to 300 bar - Success! However the other 2 were very slow to make pressure, and only pressurized up to maybe 200 bar. They also sounded different (quieter) when running.

Well, I've already replaced the entire electronic control system in my first unit. Why not tear into the compressor heads on these non-functioning units to see what is going on? If I really F something up, no real big deal as these units didn't cost me anything anyway.

Up to this point, HPA compressors had been a mysterious 'black box', which I would never have previously tried to open up, and much less repair. I didn't want to take the chance of opening them up, and perhaps allowing some of the interior voodoo to escape. I have always had mechanical skills, but compressors just seemed different to me.

But it turns out that they are pretty simple inside and, as mentioned above, seem to mostly be built using very similar or identical volume-made parts. So I can watch a video about a Tuxing or HPDAVV compressor, and it truly shows me what I am going to find within my Diablo.

Finding parts can be a challenge, but once again since so many of these compressors use the same parts, they can be found with some Google leg work. You may have to wait 2 weeks or a month for them to arrive from China, but they can be found and are generally very reasonably priced.

In the end, I am now quite confident that I will be able to get the last 2 compressors running like they should (when I get my ordered parts). So I will have 5 essentially free, good running HPA compressors. I had a buddy come over and prep one (he wants to get into PCPs so that he can shoot in his back yard with his grand kids). The one he prepped turned out to be a good one, so now I am down to 4. I've got 2 more buddies who want to get into PCP guns and will want one as well. And when you are just starting out with PCPs, who can argue with a free HPA compressor!

I've gone through a lot of emotions with these Diablo compressors - which could probably have come from any Chinese compressor. Joy at scoring a compressor at a good price-point, frustration and disappointment at their failures (and they seem to be very creative in the defects the different ones have😉), renewed joy in getting refunds for the bad ones, and pride in finding repair parts and getting the bad ones to function again. All in all they have been a real adventure for me, and in the end a very enjoyable one as I have gained the knowledge and experience as to how these things function, and how to keep them functioning (whether on the electronics control side, or the mechanical compression side). HPA compressors (at least this style) are no longer mysterious black boxes to me, and all it took was a little bit of time on my part (and I'm retired, so that time is 'free') to get that understanding - and some free compressors which I could tear into without fear of ruining a $1,000+ piece of equipment!

Many folks on this forum recommend against ever buying a less expensive Chinese compressor. Buy once, cry once they say, and have something which you can rely on. And I have no basis to argue against that point.

Others are fearful of purchasing a less expensive Chinese compressor as they feel if it fails they will wind up with a rather expensive door stop. To these latter folks I say take the chance, and don't be afraid of getting your hands a little dirty in tearing it apart and fixing it if/when it goes down. They are actually pretty simple inside and relatively easy work on. And who knows - if they keep failing on us we might all get pretty good at diagnosis and repair - something of a lost art in the disposable culture of the 'first world.'

You are in the sustainability business -- congrats!

Your findings are true for many Chinese build mechanical equipment, including PCPs. Good quality components with a pragmatic design concept typically, but little attention given to how they are assembled. Rough edges, burrs, weak/ loose screws, insufficient sealing, etc ... And precious little testing or quality control. A throwaway when it stops functioning. But if you're willing to take the effort rebuilding it properly, you are often in for a treat. Example: my Artemis M11. An amazing 70 j PCP in .25 and the price was a pittance.

🐦

I hope you get a good one as well!

These compressors can be plug-n-play, but going into the purchase of one you need to expect the unexpected.

I don't know whether my second order (4 units) was 'hand-picked' especially for a buyer who had previously gotten a full refund. I really don't know whether the eBay seller opens the crates and checks them at all (overall condition, missing parts, etc.) before shipping them. This doesn't seem to be in their main line of products, probably just something which they bought dirt cheap and figured they might make a little money on. Also, they are just at the end of their second lot of 10 units listed on eBay. Who knows how many more they may have?

Finally, be prepared to get a little creative if need be. One of my units was missing its pressure bleed screw, and the ones this compressor uses are different from many others. Haven't had luck finding a replacement which fit. But in the end the bleed screw is nothing more than a metric bolt with a plastic handle, which is ground into a bit of a conical shape at its end. So I got a metric bolt out of my bolt jar, ground the tip a bit, and used strengthened CA adhesive to glue a hex wrench into the bolt head. So far holding fine. If the glue lets go, I'll just hit it with my little welder. Problem solved.

IMG_1300.1613964235.JPG

A few points here. I hope it is not DAVV sourced. They have recently stopped supporting their own products. 

Water wetter and anti freeze. Water wetter will NOT work in the presence of anti freeze. Many of us in the drag racing business use both it (a Red Line Product) and Royal Purple Ice. Works well, but Anti Freeze kills it. IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE!!!

As stated on the other linked thread, true high pressure compressor oil does indeed let the debris sink to the floor of the crank case. Exactly what it is supposed to do. Auto Motor oil will in short order destroy the bearings. Worse, it will carbon the reed valves and cause the compressor to work harder and eventually fail. Low pressure oil, such as Lowes, Home depot, royal purple will kill your compressor just as fast, And Never-Ever use the #46 hydraulic oil first suggested by Y.H. They have now, finally reversed their suggestion as it was killing their product. They suggest Mobil Rarus 827 now which is a rather pricy high-end High Pressure ester based oil. Never use dead dinosaur goo in your compressor! LOL!!!

This is from Alkin Compressors, which are tougher and run cooler than our Chi compressors, which make them even more effected by poor oil selection.

Şekil 2-Compressor Unit W31 Series compressors are design and manufactured with intercooler serpentine located between 1st -2 nd Stage cylinders, and aftercooler located at the 3rd Stage outlet. There are water separators at the outlet of 2nd Stage intercooler and at outlet of 3rd Stage aftercooler. Water Separators are connected to auto drain valves that periodically drains the condensate water. The duration and frequency of opening of these drain valves are determined by the time relay located in the electric panel. (Please see Check section.) This time relay can be set for both functions. There is a Safety Valve at each stage to prevent an unwanted increase in pressure resulted from a problem in valves or any other parts. It must be periodically checked that, these safety valves are working properly and they keep their set pressure values. (Please see Maintenance Table.) W31 Series compressors are equipped with stainless valves at each stage that are designed to maintain the airflow without any loss of pressure. They are easy to maintain and replace. The maintenance of valves are especially important as they are the main parts in proper and problem-free working of compressors. Lubricants not approved by ALKIN can prevent valves from working properly due to the accumulation of carbon on springs and washers. Valves not working properly will cause an increase in working temperature and the deterioration of lubricant, thus in return, will further break down the valves. Max working pressure is 350 bar and, it is dangerous and strictly prohibited to set a value higher than 350 bar. ALKIN will not be held liable for any problems resulting from acting otherwise. Working temperature range of the compressor is –10/+50 ºC.

This is what carbon build up looks like and caused by improper oil. There is enough carbon here to destroy the seal of the rings and plug the reed valves ruining the function of the compressor. It would be much akin to using beach sand for a lube in an intimate situation. 😁
cdt4Z4r carbon from improper oil.1613972472.jpg

Knifemaker,

Thank you for the information and the tips - This continues to be a learning process for me. I used Water Wetter based on my experience with it from my old dual-sport motorcycle days, when we might be riding somewhere in Baja, Mojave or Death Valley through deep sand on a loaded down bike. Lots of engine revving but not a lot of speed so therefore not a lot of air moving across the radiator. I never knew that it didn't play well with anti-freeze.

But this leads to another comment about the Diablo compressors. One reason I chose to get my first one (besides the price) was that it had an in-built cooling system. No need to use buckets of water and a separate pump. Of course a motorcycle radiator looks a little funny on an air compressor, but I must say that in use the Diablo cooling system has proven to be very effective. Loud (since they use a diaphragm pump, which are inherently loud and obnoxious), but effective.

I never did believe what these compressor manufacturers said about just using motor oil in the crankcase. So I've been using a synthetic compressor oil from the start, and since I'm running a little low on my supply I just had purchased a gallon of Rarus last week.

I have a yong heng. Using Home Depot Husky brand full synthetic compressor oil. So far, the oil is great, but the compressor, that's another story.

After about 6 months the top of the high pressure piston simply broke. Had to tear down the whole thing to find the problem. Ordered parts from China, waited 2 months, tried to put it back together and found the oil seal around the crank case shrunk and there was no way to make it fit. Ordered new seal, waited 2 months, now it works!

Biggest problem was reassembling the reed valve. Only found one video in all of YouTube land that covered that part of the rebuild. What a pain, but finally got it back in.

Am I afraid of the Chinese compressor? Nope, just that I don't have that much time to fix compressors, I'd rather be shooting!