• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Not all barrels can shoot slugs.

Hello AGN members, You may shoot slugs out of your traditional pcp’s with good results but that’s just not right. Here's why.

This is a LW barrel blank found in majority of the PCP's - Airgun Blank CHOKED - Twist:17.7" | .22 air | OD:.39" | L:23.82" | precision rifle steel tube | Airgun barrels | Gun barrel blanks | Lothar Walther gun and rifle barrels online shop - USA (lothar-walther.com)

The bore measures 5.46 mm (0.215), while the groove is slightly larger at 5.62 mm (0.221).

So,

If you're using a 0.216 projectile for the subject matter, you should achieve satisfactory groupings at a distance of 50 yards. I corroborated this information on a random forum among Umarex Origin / Avenger owners, and they confirmed the same. The user group was for 25 cal, but outcome is related to any caliber under 0.357.
signal-2023-07-28-155829_002.jpeg

There is absolutely nothing wrong. In what they have experienced. As seen in the video made by STKO here

But,

For a trained eye, those aint flyers. For many it's too good, under half inch @100yd. But the truth is, groups could be much tighter, as the group marked in Red is actually the result of the barrel's nature.
signal-2023-07-28-155829_003.jpeg

I do not wish to discuss about velocities and power, It is a separate topic discussed. It is best described here (What's The Best Slug Weight For My PCP Air Rifle? - Hard Air Magazine). I wish to discuss about the barrel construction and specifications. Twist rate is also a different topic altogether and we do have good posts here ( Velocity vs. Barrel Twist Rates | Airgun Forum | Airgun Nation | Best Airgun Site | Airgun Message Board ).

So as the topic says, Not all barrels can shoot slugs,

Here is the rational explanation. In Q&A format.

Q. So whats wrong?

A. The barrel.

A JSB pellet boasts a head diameter of 5.52 +- 0.01 mm and a skirt diameter of 5.71 +- 0.01 mm. The head fits snugly between the bore and groove, encompassing around 45% of the depth, ensuring an optimal engagement. Moreover, the skirt covers approximately 101.017% of the total barrel diameter, fully enveloping the barrel profile's extremities, creating a perfect seal and ideal head engagement. ( That’s why pellet sizers do not work if you pass the entire pellet through it)

1.JPG

As you fire the shot, the skirt no longer needs to expand; instead, it bulges and harnesses the charge, accelerating towards the Choke. (You can find numerous images of fired and recovered pellets online illustrating this process.) The choke measures approximately 0.012 mm less than the bore diameter or 0.0005 inches. It serves as a constant tapering section, molding the slug by pressing against the grooved contact surface and effectively swaging it into a uniform diameter.
signal-2023-07-28-160543_002.png

The skirt features a meticulously engineered conical section that readily collapses and deforms with minimal effort, contributing to a highly efficient discharge. As seen in the image below.

R.png

On the other hand, the 0.216 slug is relatively loose-fitting, akin to riding the bore, resulting in numerous air passageways.

3.JPG

Consequently, this creates the following scenario:

I would like you to imagine how Jason Statham would say these lines.

• So, you've got quite a bit of space between the groove and slug diameter, allowing the City of London to run a tube service right through it! Your air charge exceeds and exits faster than the preceding slug. What you don't realize is the amount of energy you're losing.
  • Now, as you approach the choke, guess what? You've got a solid chunk that's fatter than an éclair (for the choke, at least!). There's no tail section to deform. The result is that you end up losing velocity and a fair bit of the slug to the choke.
  • And finally, the grooves cut into the slug, causing you to choke your barrel with lead deposition, making it a smoothbore much sooner. Wonder why you need regular bore cleaning?

Jokes apart, Addressing the elephant in the room,

Q But I shoot slugs well, so does it even matter?

A. Yes It does, because you are loosing a ton of power and you loose a lot of BC. And tighter groups of course.

Q. Can I shoot heavy slugs like those Youtubers?

A. Not at all in the stock gun configuration, but you may shoot a 23-grain slug with much more efficiency as compared to 23 grain pellets, you can reach farther distances, Miss less targets and save ££££.

Q. So whats the solution?

A. A barrel with revised specifications…..

Q. What are those?

A. Lets brainstorm at the AGN forum. Here.

R.png

Last edited:
The only guns I have that seem appropriate for slugs are my Air Force guns. I didn’t find slugs to do very well out of the LW barrels. I was able to get an unchoked .250 and a .257 (both TJ 1:19) machined to fit condor frames along with high flow valves.

I immediately saw an improvement with a variety of NSA slugs for the .250. I still have to get optimal sizing figured out - it is something i look forward to actually.

The only guns I have that seem appropriate for slugs are my Air Force guns. I didn’t find slugs to do very well out of the LW barrels. I was able to get an unchoked .250 and a .257 (both TJ 1:19) machined to fit condor frames along with high flow valves.

I immediately saw an improvement with a variety of NSA slugs for the .250. I still have to get optimal sizing figured out - it is something i look forward to actually.
I believe that slug barrels should be unchoked, or choked very little, like 0.001 to 0.002. All of my FX Superior barrels become fouled with lead and need to be cleaned after 100 shots or so using slugs. I've read that high end rimfire barrels are taper lapped by the manufacturer. That sounds like a better concept than choking the last inch of an airgun barrel.

Has anyone verified what this guy is claiming, or is he just angry with fx / Matt dubber?

After having a lengthy discussion with Matt Dubber, I found myself repeatedly watching the video. While some points in the video are undeniably true, the positive aspect is that FX pays attention to feedback and makes improvements accordingly. I can confidently state that around 90% of the video can be overlooked; however, there are certain points that are worth considering, such as Harmonics, the significance of a shiny and heavy barrel, and the importance of rigidity. These factors hold truth, and I believe FX should prioritize focusing on these aspects as well. The Karma Red Panda, for instance, exemplifies these qualities perfectly. Yes, I've verified the claims. and they don't hold much weight.

Here is a video that shows how a tuned slug barrel performs at 100+ yards by Rick 1721.

This is what I wish to emphasize- 30 cal slugs shooting 1.5 inch to 2 Inch groups at 100 yards are deemed Superb by many, But I would reiterate, you can get 0.7 inch group (or tighter) if you get your barrel configuration and engineering right. See ricks video here - https://www.facebook.com/1000033786...at-105-yds-integrix-45-x-27/6185916908197538/

That's a thumb size group with a PCP of big bore category.

Reactions: Spinach
Excellent post describing what I feel as the elephant in the room when it comes to slug selection. I’ve brought this topic up many times. This is a typical barrel from lw that would be acceptable for slugs in 22cal.
IMG_5088.jpeg

I’ve only found a couple places that offer the correct diameter slugs for this barrel. You’re pretty much stuck with bore riders if you don’t seek out the correct slug size. As stated, pellets do fine as a bore riding nose and a flare into groove skirt scenario. Slugs don’t.

I’m sure part of the issue is how slugs load in a chamber prepared for pellets. Loading a slug into a pellet chamber requires one to engrave the rifling which is difficult. A slug needs to just kiss the rifling while sitting snug in a proper chamber.

Fire from mag guns have a better time in this regard but pellets fit loose if they accept proper slugs. Remember huben having the required larger slug? They knew what was up.

Obviously the airgun barrels from lw share the same bore/groove dimensions as the rimfire. And of course I’m only talking about the 22 in particular. Measure a competition rimfire slug.

Good thread and thanks for sharing.

Dave

Reactions: Engg.Ken
I think (most) airgun barrels historically have had very low quality control due to pellets being more forgiving, and the lacking industry standard for certain calibers such as .177/.22, where as .25/.30 is more standardized, as the air gun community moves into shooting slugs, this corner being cut is no longer acceptable, add to that one reason why 'chokes' were so popular, as an airgun barrel could be fairly sloppy until the last 1" where the pellets exit / attack angle is corrected.

Hopefully that changes moving forward, but there are still thousands upon thousands of airgun barrels in circulation that are just a jumbled non standardized mess...

Realistically you either have a slug gun or a pellet gun, until manufacturers provide a rifle with a barrel for both, or industry standards are created, and upheld with impeccable quality control from land/groove diameter being within .0005" to pellet quality in order to be able to remove chokes (unlikely), until then we're on our own.

-Matt

Reactions: Engg.Ken
I just did a tally and I've personally played with slugs in: 5 CZ barrels, 2 Career barrels, 1 TJ barrel, and 14 Lothars.

And in that mix: really tight chokes, less aggressive chokes, no chokes, hammer forged rifling, polygonal rifling (standard and slow), and "normal" 12 land and grooves.

From all that, I'd have to disagree with the often-shared on forums opinion that choked barrels don't shoot slugs well.

Now, I will say that really tight chokes typically disagree with slugs. I've only seen one really tight choke shoot slugs worth a dang, all the others were shotguns.

Less aggressive chokes can do really well with slugs.

And going the other direction, I've seen unchoked barrels shoot pellets better than slugs. In fact I used an unchoked barrel and pellets to place third at last years American Field Target event at EBR (.22 class). That barrel will shoot slugs nearly as good as pellets, but accuracy is still slightly better with pellets from it.

Long story short, slugs are a finicky beast, and have surprised me more than once, in reference to what barrel they do or don't prefer. The only way to know is to shoot and see.

Reactions: mercado
I just did a tally and I've personally played with slugs in: 5 CZ barrels, 2 Career barrels, 1 TJ barrel, and 14 Lothars.

And in that mix: really tight chokes, less aggressive chokes, no chokes, hammer forged rifling, polygonal rifling (standard and slow), and "normal" 12 land and grooves.

From all that, I'd have to disagree with the often-shared on forums opinion that choked barrels don't shoot slugs well.

Now, I will say that really tight chokes typically disagree with slugs. I've only seen one really tight choke shoot slugs worth a dang, all the others were shotguns.

Less aggressive chokes can do really well with slugs.

And going the other direction, I've seen unchoked barrels shoot pellets better than slugs. In fact I used an unchoked barrel and pellets to place third at last years American Field Target event at EBR (.22 class). That barrel will shoot slugs nearly as good as pellets, but accuracy is still slightly better with pellets from it.

Long story short, slugs are a finicky beast, and have surprised me more than once, in reference to what barrel they do or don't prefer. The only way to know is to shoot and see.

What distance did you test groupings and what were the groups like in some of your less aggressively choked barrels?

Three barrels come to mind that were less aggressively choked, two were "okay" with slugs, the third is really good.

One of the "okay" and less aggressively choked ones was was a .22 polygonal LW. It'd shoot 10 of the 23gr NSA into about 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

Another "okay" one was a moderately choked .22, land and groove LW and it was about the same as the first one I mentioned, 1.5-2 inches at 100 yards. This was with 17.5 and 20.2 NSA slugs. There's photos of these groups here on the forum in the Red Wolf Standard review that I did.

The most recent, and best of the three less aggressively choked barrels is a .20, 12 land and groove LW. It is doing very good with 18.9gr NSAs. Photos of these groups have also been shared here on AGN, but to summarize...In two sessions, the average of 9, 5 shot groups at 135 yards was 1.35moa. I've only shot one EBR card with them and it was a 230 @ 98 yards, if that reference means anything to you. MOA groups more often than not at 100 yards in other session on paper (5 shot groups in this case). Prairie dog record with them is 226yards, and probably 40-60pdogs in the 125-175range in the last few weeks. Shot a "group" at a bleached spot on the trunk of an old dead cottonwood tree at 168 yards, too high up the trunk to measure, but probably a 2-4 inch group (photos of that one shared here on AGN also). The .20/18.9 NSAs from this barrel are overall one of my top two slug experiences.

And I'm perhaps slugs biggest detractor, not the typical slug fanboy who's excitement outruns actual results. My slug experiences have been a waste of time and money in 95% of all attempts. (Not exactly 95% for those literal folks here, but stating that as a "most of the time" thought).

So yes, I emphatically agree with the title that not all barrels shoot slugs. But it isn't always a choke to blame.

Last edited:
Reactions: JungleShooter
Three barrels come to mind that were less aggressively choked, two were "okay" with slugs, the third is really good.

One of the "okay" and less aggressively choked ones was was a .22 polygonal LW. It'd shoot 10 of the 23gr NSA into about 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

Another "okay" one was a moderately choked .22, land and groove LW and it was about the same as the first one I mentioned, 1.5-2 inches at 100 yards. This was with 17.5 and 20.2 NSA slugs. There's photos of these groups here on the forum in the Red Wolf Standard review that I did.

The most recent, and best of the three less aggressively choked barrels is a .20, 12 land and groove LW. It is doing very good with 18.9gr NSAs. Photos of these groups have also been shared here on AGN, but to summarize...In two sessions, the average of 9, 5 shot groups at 135 yards was 1.35moa. I've only shot one EBR card with them and it was a 230 @ 98 yards, if that reference means anything to you. MOA groups more often than not at 100 yards in other session on paper (5 shot groups in this case). Prairie dog record with them is 226yards, and probably 40-60pdogs in the 125-175range in the last few weeks. Shot a "group" at a bleached spot on the trunk of an old dead cottonwood tree at 168 yards, too high up the trunk to measure, but probably a 2-4 inch group (photos of that one shared here on AGN also). The .20/18.9 NSAs from this barrel are overall one of my top two slug experiences.

And I'm perhaps slugs biggest detractor, not the typical slug fanboy who's excitement outruns actual results. My slug experiences have been a waste of time and money in 95% of all attempts. (Not exactly 95% for those literal folks here, but stating that as a "most of the time" thought).

So yes, I emphatically agree with the title that not all barrels shoot slugs. But it isn't always a choke to blame.
@Franklink Yes, I really appreciate your feedback. The outcome of this topic is turning out to be really good. Your experience with choked barrels needs to be highlighted and saved for future references. I am reading through this topic https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/217-nsa-17-5-grain-yes.695439/ and we can certainly relate to some of the information shared by @DanielL where the recovered slug highlights the exact engravings of grooves. Also we can see super impressive groups by @HubenK1Sniper92 . The lighter slugs have an average L/D ratio, this allows the slug meat (metal) in contact with the barrel to be minimal. And they do work good, but I think they can deliver even better results with barrel optimization. I can confidently say that a heavy slug wont perform as well as the light slug. But with optimization any pcp can.

Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
@Franklink Yes, I really appreciate your feedback. The outcome of this topic is turning out to be really good. Your experience with choked barrels needs to be highlighted and saved for future references. I am reading through this topic https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/217-nsa-17-5-grain-yes.695439/ and we can certainly relate to some of the information shared by @DanielL where the recovered slug highlights the exact engravings of grooves. Also we can see super impressive groups by @HubenK1Sniper92 . The lighter slugs have an average L/D ratio, this allows the slug meat (metal) in contact with the barrel to be minimal. And they do work good, but I think they can deliver even better results with barrel optimization. I can confidently say that a heavy slug wont perform as well as the light slug. But with optimization any pcp can.
My Ataman M2 was strictly used with pellets and it shot well with the H&N .21’s (this rifle doesn’t like jsb’s for some reason) but I got bored with the rifle and I didn’t shoot it much anymore, so I figured I would give slugs a try and went with the lightest I could find and was shocked, I figured they would be all over the place and was wasting my time, boy was I wrong

Reactions: Dannyg