• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Not all barrels can shoot slugs.

I would have to disagree with push through sizers not working. I have been using one for 8 years now with the .25 cal 33.95 JSB's mki. Have won several competitions and gain about 5fps over non sized pellets. Was shooting them at 185 yesterday with scary accuracy. I would never shoot a competition without running them through the sizer and it illuminates flyers.
Crown mkii 700mm

Push through sizers can work for PCPs, but would be ill advised for springers. It is also a matter of degree. If the sized pellet head diameter still engages the lands then so will the skirt. The skirt will just have to "blow open" fully on firing. To some degree that happens with probe loaded pellets, even when the barrel is sizing the skirt down on loading.

A pellet head is sized down so far that it rattles down the bore, it is likely going to shoot poorly. If the skirt is also that loose then it may not build enough back pressure for the skirt to "blow open" and engage the rifling properly.

A springer needs the larger skirt diameter to resist initial travel so that air pressure can build to optimal levels before the pellet starts accelerating. A loose pellet in a springer causes the piston to slam, almost like dry firing. So, sizing the head and skirt to the same diameter could be OK, if the skirt was not too small. But then, the head would be large enough to make it hard to load directly into the breech cone. Something that a probe loading PCP would hardly notice. This is not likely to occur, unless you are sizing .22 pellets down to use in a .20 .

I would have to disagree with push through sizers not working. I have been using one for 8 years now with the .25 cal 33.95 JSB's mki. Have won several competitions and gain about 5fps over non sized pellets. Was shooting them at 185 yesterday with scary accuracy. I would never shoot a competition without running them through the sizer and it illuminates flyers.
Crown mkii 700mm
Could you give us a link to the sizer?

I have these for .22 and .25. If I could recall the cone inside hole is 1 or 1.5 degree total angle, I ordered some metric tapered reamer set from aliexpress couple winters back and honed-polish the cone. The imperial tapered reamers won't fit the size, must be metric.

I resize the head barely to kisses the land, will put a shiny ring on the skirt edges as well.