• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Nostalgia or practicality?

Hi, I bought this Beeman R1 about 25 years ago from a pawn shop for $200, it’s a left hand stock Laser rifle. A while later I discovered that there was a book written on the R1 so I bought the book and spoke to Tom Gaylord who explained to me that the Laser model is somewhat special.
This was my first real airgun and I was shooting it daily and though if I had a right handed stock it would probably shoot it even better.
So I searched the Yellow classified and found the stock that’s on the gun now. I paid the same amount for the stock that I did for the rifle and the seller(real nice guy) told me it’s a very sought out stock and that after I committed to buy it he told me there was a bunch of people wanting to buy it behind me.
I like the stock it feels great but lately I’ve become more nostalgic and thought perhaps I should swap stock and keep it original.
I don’t compete I just shoot across my Florida room into my bedroom exactly 14 yards.
What would you do?

F00182A6-757F-4DDC-9643-07ADF99818CA.jpeg

B737152E-CE89-42E3-8FDC-DBFB794D6A62.jpeg

E91B7512-1BF8-4C69-8F8B-DAE2453AD1F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Well as long as you don’t need the cash I’d keep both. Use the non Laser stock for shooting and keep the Laser stock in case you have reason to resell it.

Knowing all of this I would not modify this gun or the laser stock, because an all original is desirable and hard to find.
Having all of that stuff together makes that a special rifle. Exactly what dgeesaman said. Classic Beeman's are getting more and more expensive.

Hi, I bought this Beeman R1 about 25 years ago from a pawn shop for $200, it’s a left hand stock Laser rifle. A while later I discovered that there was a book written on the R1 so I bought the book and spoke to Tom Gaylord who explained to me that the Laser model is somewhat special.
This was my first real airgun and I was shooting it daily and though if I had a right handed stock it would probably shoot it even better.
So I searched the Yellow classified and found the stock that’s on the gun now. I paid the same amount for the stock that I did for the rifle and the seller(real nice guy) told me it’s a very sought out stock and that after I committed to buy it he told me there was a bunch of people wanting to buy it behind me.
I like the stock it feels great but lately I’ve become more nostalgic and thought perhaps I should swap stock and keep it original.
I don’t compete I just shoot across my Florida room into my bedroom exactly 14 yards.
What would you do?

View attachment 356973

View attachment 356974

View attachment 356975
If I were you, would contact me- make a deal. Lol

Love the R1 laser, and lefty too! They are highly sought after, you got a keeper there, put me on list if you ever want to sell it or trade for another fine lefty air rifle. 👍🏻

Reactions: Bubbacop
I read that somewhere too that lefty stocks are rarer then righty but I’m right hande.
I tuned a left handed early R1, test shot it extensively and didn't even notice it was left handed until the owner asked me to keep an eye out for a right handed stock for it. I have a right handed R1 and tuned a few others so at least for my shooting style the stock's handed styling was immaterial.

You might look a little weird to your buddies at the range shooting a "left handed" rifle but other than that I wouldn't let it bother you. It certainly wouldn't bother me.

All that said, I'd continue to shoot it in the custom stock if only to prevent any accidental damage to the very rare original stock.

I tuned a left handed early R1, test shot it extensively and didn't even notice it was left handed until the owner asked me to keep an eye out for a right handed stock for it. I have a right handed R1 and tuned a few others so at least for my shooting style the stock's handed styling was immaterial.

You might look a little weird to your buddies at the range shooting a "left handed" rifle but other than that I wouldn't let it bother you. It certainly wouldn't bother me.

All that said, I'd continue to shoot it in the custom stock if only to prevent any accidental damage to the very rare original stock.
The pawn shop is also a gun range and before I bought the rifle they let me shoot it and I too didn’t realize that cheek rest was on the other side.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Love it!
I have the same book signed by Dr. Beeman. I would love to send it to Tom Gaylord for his signature as well.

Just for historical information, the Beech stocked Lasers were standard R1's that were "Laserised" by the Beeman custom shop, at which time the medallion is also added. Many of these were done when the rifles were new. I remember the service being offered at the Santa Rosa location.

Factory Lasers were all laminate.

In any form, a Laser is certainly collectible today. Being a Lefty just makes it better of course. ;)

Keeping it original does not include the consumable parts like the seals. Please make sure they are still in good shape to avoid damage from firing. The original seals almost certainly would benefit from replacement.

Love it!
I have the same book signed by Dr. Beeman. I would love to send it to Tom Gaylord for his signature as well.

Just for historical information, the Beech stocked Lasers were standard R1's that were "Laserised" by the Beeman custom shop, at which time the medallion is also added. Many of these were done when the rifles were new. I remember the service being offered at the Santa Rosa location.

Factory Lasers were all laminate.

In any form, a Laser is certainly collectible today. Being a Lefty just makes it better of course. ;)

Keeping it original does not include the consumable parts like the seals. Please make sure they are still in good shape to avoid damage from firing. The original seals almost certainly would benefit from replacement.
Thanks Lewis, about ten years ago I sent it off to replace a broken main spring and they also replaced the seals.
Do you know if Laser rifles had any markings or special serial numbers on the metal?

Reactions: Lewis
All the "rare and desirable" stuff doesn't mean a thing if you aren't selling it. Just sayin.

I'd use whatever is most practical and stick the other in a closet, or sell it if you don't have the space.

Are you left or right handed? I'm right handed and wouldn't have any use for a LH stock.

LH may be "desirable" but I've found them to be hard to sell.

Thanks Lewis, about ten years ago I sent it off to replace a broken main spring and they also replaced the seals.
Do you know if Laser rifles had any markings or special serial numbers on the metal?
Nothing different externally about the metal. The serial number would not be specific other than to the correct time period. My guess is about 1985-95 but I would need to research to be certain. What was done to "Laserize" a gun seems to be unclear as well. Some say it was just a heavier spring and specific lubrication. Others claim that there were special treatments inside the compression tube ranging from improved crosshatching to nickel plating. I have not yet found a definitive way to prove other than the serial number range and the medallion. Since yours is stamped San Rafael it was likely done in Santa Rosa either as a retrofit or as a new gun with the previous stamp.
I bought a new HW77 from the Santa Rosa store that was brought to the new location when they moved from San Rafael and was stamped accordingly.

Reactions: Bubbacop