• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

North East Airgun Classic 2024 Winners Pro Benchrest

Nikolai slows his footage down to show you the fliers he has. He’s at a disadvantage shooting the .22 25gr. Only because of problematic fliers in these long inconsistent pellets. I believe any of the dedicated 100yd competitors that consistently qualify for these events can win.
I see that and I see your point. The disadvantage is certainly not ballistically, but reliability. I would say that he doesn’t feel that way IMHO because he continues to shoot those when he can shoot any pellet in any caliber he wants. And without a doubt winning means the world to him. So he’s gonna shoot what he feels gives him the best chance to win. And he chooses the .22 RD Monsters…

Reactions: nomojo65
I met Mark from Massachusetts at the event. He won 100 Yard Sportsman with his Thomas .22 shooting MRDs at 965fps.

His bench was next to mine - he uses no moderator on his Thomas - 1st shot he took woke me up, lol.

Mark is an AGN member. First time I saw a Thomas in person - incredible. You can tell its quality just by looking at it!

-Ed

Reactions: tibor
I met Mark from Massachusetts at the event. He won 100 Yard Sportsman with his Thomas .22 shooting MRDs at 965fps.

His bench was next to mine - he uses no moderator on his Thomas - 1st shot he took woke me up, lol.

Mark is an AGN member. First time I saw a Thomas in person - incredible. You can tell its quality just by looking at it!

-Ed
I learned the hard way to bring foam ear plugs to pass out to the other competitors at my closer benches when I used my Thomas HPS.

• Haha
Reactions: Centercut
I learned the hard way to bring foam ear plugs to pass out to the other competitors at my closer benches when I used my Thomas HPS.

Yeah, Mark’s Thomas had a crack!

I spoke with him quite a bit at the banquet, super nice guy. He told me that he has never encountered a rifle that shot BETTER with a moderator….

…. something to consider when competing for prize money…

Reactions: Loufish
Yeah, Mark’s Thomas had a crack!

I spoke with him quite a bit at the banquet, super nice guy. He told me that he has never encountered a rifle that shot BETTER with a moderator….

…. something to consider when competing for prize money…
Yeah, they can be really loud, especially when they have that Sherman Tank diffuser that some of the HPs have that direct the sound outwards and rearwards.

Also I think it’s intriguing that the vast majority of the top PRO division shooters use a moderator or at the least, a muzzle brake (attachment on the end of the barrel). Logic would lead one to believe if it wasn’t a benefit in some way they wouldn’t use one…?
Something to consider when moving up to Pro class.

Do they ever split up calibers into there own groups ? A .30 cal leaves a bigger hole so do they use a hole plug in 30 cal for the .22 and. 25 ?

Thanks
The event uses a .35 cal plug for scoring. .35 cal is the max allowed for NAC. I don't think anyone was actually shooting .35, at least I didn't see one on the line.

Logic would lead one to believe if it wasn’t a benefit in some way they wouldn’t use one…?
Just my thought on it Mike is that they (sometimes we), practice at home with the moderator to lessen the noise of upsetting neighbors that once we get dialed in we are reluctant to change our established tune. I think this more likely than the moderator actually being any type of an accuracy benefit if you will.
Thx
Dan

Just my thought on it Mike is that they (sometimes we), practice at home with the moderator to lessen the noise of upsetting neighbors that once we get dialed in we are reluctant to change our established tune. I think this more likely than the moderator actually being any type of an accuracy benefit if you will.
Thx
Dan
I agree Dan, that is the case with me. But for every gun I own, I make damn sure that the moderator is not LOWERING performance. So, while it may not improve performance, it certainly doesn't reduce accuracy or precision when done properly...

Reactions: XSUltimate
P,S. I DEFINITELY do not have Mikes skills nor knowledge is a huge understatement. His extensive shooting has miles of what is best for accuracy way beyond my general knowledge, that is 100% agreed! I have to use moderators in my neighborhood and after the hours put in tuning and such, I just can't find it within myself to remove them and change my tune. Especially before a match! Besides, I am old and stubborn and unlikely to change so there is that too!:D
Thx
Dan

Yeah, they can be really loud, especially when they have that Sherman Tank diffuser that some of the HPs have that direct the sound outwards and rearwards.

Also I think it’s intriguing that the vast majority of the top PRO division shooters use a moderator or at the least, a muzzle brake (attachment on the end of the barrel). Logic would lead one to believe if it wasn’t a benefit in some way they wouldn’t use one…?
When I ordered my HPX I asked Mike to install a LDC and he gave me the same answer that Lou posted. I tried to shoot it at home and it’s LOUD, actually too loud to shoot in my neighborhood or without ear protection so I ordered a clamp on 1/2-20 adapter so I could use a LDC at home. It quieted it down but accuracy suffered @50Y. Next I went to the range and tested several LDCs as well as tuner combinations and none of them shot as accurately as the naked barrel did, which confirmed exactly what Mike told me in the beginning. Hey, I’m a slow learner and tinkerer and that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Reactions: Loufish