• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

NorCal Turkey opener

Been scouting everywhere, just seeing one male hanging out on a property owned by a turkey lover 

20220321_174302.1648312311.jpg
20220321_174254.1648312313.jpg

No other males, and we usually have 50+ Toms spotted by now. 

Yesterday, walked a property and my dog brought back some turkey parts, but still no actual birds.

20220325_144837.1648312407.jpg

Slept in just a little, drove out to the permission, and now there are two males on

the T-Birds loving property. Sigh. They are tucked in, beards not visible, it's 37 defreeze.

20220326_070853.1648312491.jpg

Parked, stretched, maybe passed a little gas cause I'm old, and looked out in the field where I can hunt. Saw some birds on the far end, looked like I could sneak into a ambush point and interdict them. Enter a pellet into them.

Got busted about 15 minutes later by one hen, but the others seemed pretty Santa Cruz about me low crawling through the rough redwood and rocks towards them.. Probably enjoying listening to my creaking bones and popping joints. Couldn't get much closer that a 100 yards, kept trying different approaches

Kept trying to get an angle, but the male had the lay of the land figured out. 

https://youtu.be/xP7vwQ7CKz8

Beautiful morning, hopefully I'll have a chance to pull a trigger on something. Finished the last of the duck from January last night, the larder needs replenishing. Good luck to all of you out there and the rest? Get out there, adventure awaits! 

Hahaha they are smart and alway hang out at residential areas. I came within in inches of hitting one with my car as I made a right hand turn and a displaying Tom wasn’t backing down from his corner. I gave up Turkey hunting on public land. 

I even have Turkey visit my yard here and there, as long as they don’t dig up my yard I’ll let them be since my kids enjoy watching them. 

Open the oven, see if they walk in?

They probably will if you open a portable oven around my house. I’ve scouted for Turkey and literally drive by multiple huge flocks of Turkeys on the way and nothing on the public land! Not frustrating at all! I feel you man, not to discourage you or anything but I gave up on that long ago. 🤣

A special characteristic of wild turkey hunting is that normally you hear them before you see them.

Heartbeat acceleration last longer with turkeys.

I love wild turkey hunting !!!! If they go away and it is a miss you won't have the regret of having miss the super elk, mule deer, moose, or white tailed deer..... It is just a turkey and it will happily be there in your memory !!!

I have turkeys up the butt here coming to the edge of the woods spring to fall. There is a roost about 900 feet from us and they come in 10:30 and 2:30 most every day. 12 to 28 of the them. I can't shoot them because there is a woodpecker feeder within the area and that would be considered baiting. So we just enjoy their seemingly craziness. They are okay as long as they can see us but moving away from the window will cause them to leave. Very strange to me. How close? Will 20 yards on average. 

B888A4DA-B8A0-4C49-BB12-35F7B13C08A8.1648427171.jpeg
@peeweedaddy: Are those turkeys from Jehovah witness? granted they usually come with 2 males only but that one male does have a tie. 

@oakhonor: This picture is from last year DURING spring turkey season, good thing it was a hen but still was seriously tempting fate.....

Best of luck on your spring Turkey season! Hope you get at least a fat one.