• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

NOOBS Practice Field Target for PA Cup (Video Inside)

It’s great to see you guys doing what you can to come out and have fun. Field Target has been more fun for me than anything else that has to with shooting my airguns. But that’s just me, everyone is different. As far as suggestions go, just do what ever it takes for you to have fun within the rules. Good luck and see you guys there👍🏼

It’s great to see you guys doing what you can to come out and have fun. Field Target has been more fun for me than anything else that has to with shooting my airguns. But that’s just me, everyone is different. As far as suggestions go, just do what ever it takes for you to have fun within the rules. Good luck and see you guys there👍🏼
Thanks, king! FT seems to have a ton of rules, not sure how I will like it but I have definitely had a lifetime of practice on living targets! It's just my rookie year as a competitor but I am trying out competition in all the disciplines! My favorite so far is positional shooting and I've been doing pretty well in NRL22, somehow I am currently #1 in the nation and I did well at RMAC (20/100) and NAC (8th). Let's see if some of that mojo will transfer over to FT!

The thing I enjoy most is just getting out and having fun, like you said, and meeting some frenz along the way ❤️

Reactions: 850renxrs
Good video. Everything looks good except you’ll need a bipod vice that monopod. The bipod is much sturdier and you’ll keep more steady vice wobbling around like you were doing. Good start. One more thing, from 10 to 20 yards, do your ranging every yard. If you think a target is 11 yards and it’s actually 10 you will miss. I usually zero my guns at about 30 yards so it’s all hold over and no hold under. Good luck!

No experience? NO PROBLEM! 🤣
Today we improvised a little Field Target practice to get ready for Pyramyd Air Cup next week! I've never competed in this discipline before and know very little about it, so if you have any tips let's hear em! :)
Nice , and thankyou . might help some. (think your targets were a bit large )

Reactions: AirShootist
Good video. Everything looks good except you’ll need a bipod vice that monopod. The bipod is much sturdier and you’ll keep more steady vice wobbling around like you were doing. Good start. One more thing, from 10 to 20 yards, do your ranging every yard. If you think a target is 11 yards and it’s actually 10 you will miss. I usually zero my guns at about 30 yards so it’s all hold over and no hold under. Good luck!
Great advise Mike!

Reactions: Centercut
Admittedly, I did not watch the entire video. If you said something about adding a oversize parallax wheel and doping it out, then disregard this.

If you did not, my best advice is to add a large parallax wheel that you can fix tape to, and write all your yardage on it. Rangefinders are NOT allowed, and you must rely on snapping your parallax into focus and then using the correct holdover for the corresponding distance. And depending on which class you shoot, you may not be able to dial your turrets. I believe the hunter class requires holdover only.

Last edited:
If you have never shot a Field Target match then it will definitely be a learning experience. If you do better than 50% than your doing pretty well. At the PAC there will be over 100 shooters on 2 courses that's still at least 50 shooters per course which will make for a VERY LONG match. I'd suggest bringing a smallish comfortable camp stool/seat,,, snacks and some extra beverages. I would not be surprised if this match took 5 hrs to shoot.

More than likely you will be squaded in 4 man groups with at least one experienced shooter in each group. Listen to what the experienced FT shooters tell you. They are all there to help you. Lastly most new ft shooters freak out with a timer. 5 minutes is plenty of time to setup and get 4 shots off. I would suggest having the experienced guy shoot first...watch how he addresses the lane and shoots his shots. Sometimes little things like where exactly you set up between the sticks makes a differenve...you sometimes have to move to get to each target between those sticks.

Instead of looking up your holdovers on your phone I'd make a dope sheet and attach it to your sticks or somewhere that's easy to grab and look at. Looking up your door on your phone is going to waste a lot of time for you. Ideally .177 works better than .22 for FT.

Most of all have fun...talk airguns and enjoy the experience.

Last edited:
Good luck at the PA cup!

Admittedly, I did not watch the entire video. If you said something about adding a oversize parallax wheel and doping it out, then disregard this.

If you did not, my best advice is to add a large parallax wheel that you can fix tape to, and write all your yardage on it. Rangefinders are NOT allowed, and you must rely on snapping your parallax into focus and then using the correct holdover for the corresponding distance. And depending on which class you shoot, you may not be able to dial your turrets. I believe the hunter class requires holdover only.
Yep, I am in hunter class and I only hold over EVER, even for NRL22 on every single stage so no worries there! My Element Helix has such dang accurate parallaxing it's insane. Got my dope card holder (https://amzn.to/3snYiiY) affixed to my pic rail and I'm all set to hopefully shake things up! ;)

I decided today instead of bringing a separate gun for Gunslynger, I'll be using the same exact gun, on the same exact pressure, only with the power wheel clicked up to 17 to launch the 18gr JSBs at 880. I can then repeatably dial right back down to 4 and it is back to 19FPE. This gun is blowing my mind. I absolutely LOVE IT and I'm glad I painted it, too, because now it's truly mine!

Reactions: 0akhonor
Want to encourage you guys to keep this up! One thing that we insist at our match is please do not load your gun until you've ranged.
The problem with magazines- besides sometimes being an influence on accuracy- is that you tend to want a cock it and load it. You don't want that rifle loaded while you're ranging for safety sake and any shot taken, even a ND, counts as a miss. For distances: when I set up our range in Concord, at 15 yards our holes range from 1/2 inch down to 3/8 in.
25 yd, 1/2 to3/4 in.
And we don't get to an inch until 30 yards or so. Don't forget to practice off hand and kneeling.
Other than that, aim small, miss small!

Want to encourage you guys to keep this up! One thing that we insist at our match is please do not load your gun until you've ranged.
The problem with magazines- besides sometimes being an influence on accuracy- is that you tend to want a cock it and load it. You don't want that rifle loaded while you're ranging for safety sake and any shot taken, even a ND, counts as a miss. For distances: when I set up our range in Concord, at 15 yards our holes range from 1/2 inch down to 3/8 in.
25 yd, 1/2 to3/4 in.
And we don't get to an inch until 30 yards or so. Don't forget to practice off hand and kneeling.
Other than that, aim small, miss small!
Good to know. I'm known for "skyloading" at NRL22 matches (silly name but it means cocking gun while not staring down the scope at target, even if barrel is on target), which is against the rules this year so I need to chill on that and break my hunting habits.

Offhand shooting, however, is a strength for me. See below: