• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Noob's Guide to Marauder Customization and Airgun Addiction

"FlexWagtail"
"EMrider"Very good info and thanks for sharing your experiences. Much of that resonates with me as I've followed a similar path, including ending up with a fully modified Marauder.

But I started with springers and still have a love for quality springers that has not been eclipsed by the purchase of a few PCPs.

My own view is that power (and large calibers) is often over-valued versus accuracy. A 12fpe gun shooting 8.4gr JSBs still retains 6.5-7fpe at 50 yards. That is plenty to humanely kill most any small game, if you can put the pellet on target.

R
What springer do you like? I've been thinking about trying one again.
The "pay once, cry once" rule arguably applies more to spingers than it does to PCPs.

For plinking and traget shooting only, the hw30/R7 in .177 are my favorites.

If you include hunting into the mix, then I'd go with an hw97 or a tx200, also in .177. I'm partial to underlever guns. They are heavy, but that is the price of self-sufficiency, and accuracy out to 40 yards is excellent.

R

I got my first Airgun a few months ago and has allowed me to learn a lot, has led me here now. It is an undelever, a Gamo. I would recommend the TX200 or the HW based on what I know now, but I'm partial to.22. Why do you prefer.177? I know most folks dislike the Gamos, but it allowed me to get in and get addicted. It was affordable for me at the time. I have learned to shoot it, and with the right pellets, I group about 1/2-3/4" at 30 yards. Have taken quite a few tree rats. 

imagejpeg

For me the big reason to get into the PCP was that an airgun is not a gun in the eyes of the local law. I've been working to control woodchucks on the local airport after the smart people in Washington fenced it in and kept out the predators. I was legally using a .22 powder burner but the report and fear of bouncing bullets made each shot tough to work out. With the Marauder .25 the report is minor and I can easily terminate a chuck at 50yds. I"m a happy camper but wish I could get more shots out of the gun before having to refill. I believe I have a gen2 as I purchased late in 2016.