• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Noob Question

But it also creates a situation where you can lower the magnification and get different bracketing results. For example, at 55 yards a cinder block may be 2.3 mildots wide at 16x, but it may be exactly 2 mils wide at 14x. With a FFP scope, it will always be 2.3 mil dots wide regardless of the magnification.
So, yes, for hold over purposes you would always want to be at the same magnification, but for ranging purposes there are advantages to a SFP scope. You would need to remember to put the scope back to 16x for shooting so that your holdovers are correct. And if you are using a scope that goes above 16x, you would have to be very careful not to exceed 16x when adjusting the magnification.

For Hunter Division, I usually use a FFP scope and don't change the magnification (and don't really bracket), but this is one of the reasons why a SFP scope is popular for Hunter shooters.

I shoot SFP on a scope that maxes at 16x. I shoot the entire match at 16x power. Since this is the max power, I can expect I can return to the correct setting if I care to change the power at any other time.

I have found FFP scopes have a reticle that either works good at high magnification or good at low magnification, and that's something you need to consider if intending to use an FFP scope. If you have fine lines in the reticle at higher power, they will be barely visible at low power. And, if you can see the reticle at low power, when on high power it will look like tree trunks. At least with SFP if you want to shoot on a lower power, you do not need to make a compromise with the look of the reticle, but you may need to do some math to translate your hold overs.

I also shoot SFP optics ...
If and when you need lower X for typically a forced position shot ( Kneeling / Offhand ) taking scope from 16X, I go to 1/2 that at 8X and cut the hold over D.O.P.E. in half as well.

Going to 1/2 the X power your field of view doubles is size, so you use 1/2 the correction in hold to land a pellet at intended POI.
JUST REMEMBER if you do this SET IT BACK TO 16X ... Or you will be missing targets until such time as you realize your fupaw !