NOOB Pellet Accuracy Question

To get back into the sport, I bought THE most inexpensive .177 break-barrel Gamo makes 12/2021 (and a 1377), and I like it a lot. Bug Buster on top, finally got it settled in, no scope creep from recoil. Zeroed at 25 yds using Crosman 10.5g Dome.

(Yes, a PCP bundle, and then a Weihrauch are next on the list. Geez, Airgunning is like BRD, Black Rifle Disease $$$)

I have not tried any of the fancier pellets out there. Just Crosman's.

Anything 7.5g is almost untrackable after the shot (unless under 10yds). Pointed and wad cutters. I was disappointed about this. As a boy in Indiana, if I got hold of pointed pellets, I thought they were like shooting "missles" out of my Daisy multi-pump BB gun! Great memories.

10.5g Piranhas require me to wear a plastic sewing thimble on my thumb to press them into breech, and seat them flush. At 25 yds, with a 3.5inch splatter target, they all land with around the outer ring. I'm am not discounting user error either, but...

10.5g domes are my "go to" pellets. With the best shooting techniques in mind, I am super confident in taking and making 25, max 30yd kill shots. 

Calculators tell me I'm still around 10 FPE at 30 yds with a 10.5g some, and via recent experience, winter squirrels (North Carolina) perish humanely with a clean shot.

Question: Do I give up on the 10.5g Piranhas? and lighter pellets altogether? Or, should I stop being a cheap ass and try some JSBs and higher priced pellets? If yes, suggestions on 10g pellets to try?

AND

I've read that, on the whole, domed pellets will usually yield the greatest accuracy. Truth or not?

The question has come up bc of "pass through" and energy dump on impact. The "thud" of a 10.5g Piranha hitting a 1/2" board vs. 10.5g Dome is quite different.

I hope this question isn't too convoluted.

Thank you all in advance.

Kim

I use crosman 10.5 round nose in my Gamo Varmint that I converted to gas piston and get .4 in groups at 15 yds. I also use an old style stereo plug as a pellet seater. I t pushes the pellet in just enough for the head to engage the rifling and gives a consistent start point pellet for pellet. Without the pellet seater, groups open up to 2in or more. Piranhas are worthless except to lead the barrel. 

Piranhas have about a 10% chance of working well in any gun in my experience. Not worth their weight in lead.

JSB 8.44gr and H&N Field Target Trophy 6.64gr will usually work well in most guns. They come in different head sizes so you may need to experiment a bit. Most of my guns like the JSBs in 4.53 and the H&N in 4.52

Yep...have to agree here!! Dome pellets are generally the most accurate at distance where flat head type are accurate at 25 yds and less. I use the flat head for indoor pesting, they give great knock down at lower velocities. Usually pellets in .177 are 8gn up to 10 plus gn doned for best accuracy in most springers.. yes, there are always exceptions but very few in my almost 40 yrs experience.

Yes, you should definitely try other pellets. Most of the cheap stuff doesn't shoot well in most guns although a few will shoot them well. Of the cheap pellets the Crosman Domes are the choice of many as they will shoot fairly good out of a wide variety of guns.

The JSB domes and Hades 10.34 pellets shoot well out of many if not most guns. JSB pellets would include Air Arms and FX pellets and probly a couple of others as well as they are made by JSB.

The Hades is great for hunting and is usually good for fifty plus yards from most guns.

If the JSBs don't shoot well after tuning try the H&Ns as some have good luck with them.