Noob here with a few questions

So I decided to take the dive into airguns. Firearms have just become too expensive to shoot and I like the idea of back yard plinking. I have been on an ordering blitz the past couple weeks. So far I've ordered the hatsan flashpup in .25, a Bushnell nitro 6-24x50 scope (probably overkill), rolling the dice on a Yong Heng (on the way), and what few pellets I can find (predator gto). I'm starting to regret the .25 caliber because that caliber seems pretty scarce, but I have it now. But I have a few questions. I can't seem to figure out how to search for specific word combos in the search function

1st) Can low profile scope rings work with this set up? That flashpup rail is pretty high and the scope bell won't be sitting above the rail, but hang over above barrel.

2nd) Do I need a special adapter to hook up between the hatsan fill probe and the Yong heng airline? I plan to fill directly until I can find a 30-60min scba tank.

3rd) Did I make a mistake with the .25? I can still find .22 and .177 pellets. I assume the production is a lot lower for .25 but was really hoping for the extra fpe as far as a backpack gun goes for walking thru the forest for small game.

Things I still need to order: scope rings, compressor oil, oil & moisture filter. I hope that's everything to start plinking. At some point I want to add a hatsan airmax or a fx talon ss.

I appreciate the help!

1st, i always wait till i have the scope and gun to decide on rings .. theres other variables sometimes like mag clearance ..

2nd, yeah you'll need something to screw into the probe .. depends how you want it if male or female but youll need a bspp female threaded end ...

3rd, you can find pellets online, just maybe pricey .. hell im thinking about getting a 177 gun just to have something i can get ammo at wally world lol ... but a 25 is a nice hard hitting bad boy .. i dont think you went wrong myself ..

I also have a .25 and while you dont have as good of a selection as you would in .22, I think you still have a good selection.
Also it seems like a lot of people (including myself) find a pellet that works well with their gun and then just stick to that one pellet, so the selection really is not an issue for most people in my opinion. 
Also if you are looking for a place to get pellets I use https://www.pyramydair.com/ammo?calibers=0_25
They seem to do a good job just based on my experience over the past few years, and they have a good selection. I ordered some recently and I had to wait about 3 weeks, I think, for them to get another shipment in, but once they got more they shipped them right away. They also do sales on holidays which I usually wait for. 

Thanks so much Dizzums for the help! I do have the gun & scope. Got the scope yesterday and after just roughly eyeing it on top of the gun, seemed that low profile rings would work. After a lot of researching, I had learned that its common to run out of moa due to the rail sitting so high. So trying to keep as close to barrel as possible. And you brought up a very valid point, that I hadn't thought to consider. The magazine. So used to magazines on the bottom. I will see if that interferes at all when I get home with line of sight.

When it comes to airline adapters, I am completely ignorant. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on size. You mentioned either choosing male of female, does one way have more pros over the other? I'd just choose whichever is more practical. If there is one.

Thanks again, so much!

Thanks Jawilhelm! I have been watching that site for new stock. I'd like to get some jsb exact kings because supposedly they shoot well. But those are pre order everywhere. I may just have to hop on the pre order wait list. I don't know if pellet ammo is as bad as powder burner when in stock. If it only last in stock for 10 minutes!

Good for you GordonShumway. I'm a back-yard plinker and just about everyday find the time to shoot a few pellets at my targets. Love it. I have PCPs and springers, but I enjoy shooting my PCPs most, they're more powerful and gentler - no recoil. I have .177, .22 and .25 cal airguns. I can't say I prefer one caliber over another, but when it comes to killing pesky squirrels that destroy my bird feeders by eating the plastic, the .25 Daystate Wolverine High Power R is the gun I grab. Hammers them!

I bought some 12" x 3/16 steel target plates from Amazon to stop my pellets. And they do great - and ring so I know for sure I hit, but i still hang splatter targets in front of them. The longest shot in my yard is usually 35 yards. Normally, I set up in front of my garage and shoot up into the woods behind the house. I can move back up my driveway and increase the 35 yards, but just like it in front of the garage. I use lengths of galvanized pipe to make holders for the steel plates.

I have an Air Venturi 4500 HPA compressor (like your YH compressor). But, I don't hook my PCP guns straight my AV compressor. Instead, I have an 66 cu.ft. SCBA tank (I bought it from Joe Brancato) to fill my PCP guns. I use the AV compressor to top off the SCBA tank. It just takes a second to fill one of my PCPs from the tank.

Hope you have fun.

Bobby

Reactions: Carolina Cat
Welcome!

Crosman has some ammo in stock-here's a link

https://www.crosman.com/airgun-ammo?availability=Shop%20In-stock%20Items

Use the code AGNATION at checkout and you get a 25% discount! They used to ship free on Fridays, not sure if that is still true. You can shim your scope with a shim or two cut from a beer can to tilt it down and give you a bit more elevation if needed. Put the shim under the scope in the rear ring. Don't go nuts tightening the clamps that hold the scope in the rings.

Also, give the barrel a clean with a pull-through type cleaner to get the factory gunk out before you go testing for accuracy.

Ya done good. Online is about the only place I can find .25's any time. Local Wally World doesn't carry them. Anywhere in driving distance I've tried has very limited pellet offerings, but seem to have plenty co2 cartages. Go figure.

Have the gun in hand for the scope rings, as mentioned. The compressor should have a moisture collection and quick connect for an 8MM or what ever size it is. My compressor came with the female end and both rifles have the male connection. This may vary. I hope you have better instructions than mine came with, but I managed after several readings, or looking at pictures. I ordered the Yong Heng, but after a month, it never showed up, still hasn't. After reading the web reviews and to do's, make sure to have at least a 5 gallon bucket of water for cooling, and make sure to use it.

Hope it all goes well. Buying in to PCP, or air in general is steep.

Thank LostInTejas! I'm almost ready to finally be able to shoot. Just waiting on the adapter to go from fill probe to the yh. Should be here tomorrow. Fired up the yh yesterday to test it. I agree, the instructions are crap. Had to go to YouTube university for the how to. Ran it for 20 mins without a load and a 5 gallon bucket, seemed to run good. Maxed out at 50c. But again, no load. 

I was debating on a second gun between the talon and airmax. Well midway sent me a notification that airmax .25 was in stock, so ordered one this eve. Found newglandairguns.com was selling the jsb sampler pack in .25, so grab a few of those tins. I hope that's all the big purchases for a while. Should have the basics to be able to start having some fun once that adapter comes. Now just gotta find some local airgunners :)

My yong heng has worked flawlessly for a year. It came with a female forster . I just got into airguns last year and purchased a Umarex Gauntlet, compressor and scope for around $600. Had a thousand dollars worth of fun on the first day. My Yong Heng fills my gun in about a minute. Hope you have as good of luck with yours as I have with mine. A lot of people have had really poor luck with them that's for sure.

Hopefully you got everything going and are shooting with your boys! Welcome to a great forum with all kinds of help available for any airgun issues. You are doomed you know! Since you are already a powder burner shooter and understand shooting, as soon as you see how awesome airguns are you are going to be hooked lol...and the boys will just help you spend money lol. Have fun!!

Thanks Dave! Received the Hatsan Airmax yesterday. Still waiting on the airline adapter. 1st one was lost in the los Angeles usps facility, ordered a 2nd one and it's held up at Carlisle, PA. Ordered them from 2 separate ebay sellers. It's mildly irritating that such a small piece is holding me up and I can't seem to get it mailed to Missouri. If I could find a store locally, I'd go get one. But I don't know of any stores that sell those adapters locally. No airgun shops around me, that I know of. I hope to be up and running by the weekend, but at this point, not holding my breath.