non regulated airgun air filling question

greeting , I have a Benjamin Cayden .22 it is a non regulated pcp, It fills to 3000psi , and I use a compressor to fill. my question is can I fill the gun at any point ? or does it need to be shot down to say 1000 psi? I was told that non regulated guns have to be shot down and shouldn't be filled in the middle of a shot string. I question this ,.. but don't know for sure . I could use some experienced clarification Please.

L have never heard that and have owned multiple non-regulated PCPs . I always filled them whenever I was through shooting or the point of impact starts to fall. I currently own a 10 year old Air Arms S 510 that is not regulated and I have never filled only at a set pressure. You won't hurt the gun by filling it at 100 bar, or 150 bar, or topping it off. Hope this helps.

Herb

it dont matter when you fill it .. for most consistency you can feel out the pressure a non-regulated gun likes and try to stay within those bounds .. for my squirrlin rig i want it to be dead on consistent and i dont care if its only one 8 round clip either .. so if that means fill at 2200 to 2800 thats where i want it .. most of the guns i have will give a flyer or two if filled to max pressure, cant have that kind of nonsense going on when the first shot counts .. and then the fill point will be wherever shots start to drop alittle ..

I was at a dive shop to get a bottle filled , got to talking to another customer, about air guns and he told me I should not fill until the gun air pressure was low... He also said the same about the air tanks I have filled my Cayden at different psi levels or after I shoot say two mags and top off for the next shooting session . The dive shop worker, said he didn't think that it would be a problem, BUT... I did not know for sure , and I got worried as us newbies do LOL! I am SO GLAD to have this forum and the people to help with the gray areas of airguns. THANK YOU!! 

I always top off my guns at the end of a day of shooting, so they’re ready to go the next time.

There is a little disadvantage to topping up at the end of a shooting session. If you store your gun at full pressure, there is a fair chance the firing valve will eventually take a set and gradually change output and ideal fill pressure. I have the habit of not topping up at the end of shooting, as its easer on the gun. Remotely like leaving a bow unstrung until needed.

LD