Non lethal defense

We do quite a bit of bicycling on gravel roads, and ever so often we run across the occasional aggressive Pit bull or Rottweiler that takes offense at people on bicycles. I've considered the idea of a CO2 semi-auto or full auto pistol like the Beretta, but I'm afraid that isn't gonna sting enough to make them back off and stay in their yard until I am out of sight. I certainly don't wanna kill anybody's dog so a firearm is out of the question, and ammonia or pepper spray is just not my style. But I've been bitten on the leg once and have had 2 other pretty tense moments. There are several roads that I want to ride but don't because I'm not sure about the dogs that live along it. Everyone around here either has Labs or coon dogs (which are NEVER a problem) or they have Rotts and Pits which are ROUTINELY a problem.

So, what are your thoughts about bouncing a few pellets off a charging pit bull to make them back the hell off ?

Pellet gun a bad idea for Big Dog just going to piss him off. As much as you hate pepper spray that's what I used to use. Non-lethal and way more effective than a pellet gun would be. One time I had to Dismount and put the bike between me and the dog and have a frame pump in hand. One ride had to go up a very Steep Hill that had 2 mean dogs living at house on the hill. Going uphill I'm tired not going fast no way out run the dogs going around with mean 60 more miles of riding which is not an option. I got lucky I got off the bike when I heard the dogs and yelled sit sit and they just kind of stopped and looked at me.

A county agent in NC told us once that he made the best spray ever and carried it around in a powerful spray bottle. Each year he would grow a batch of Habanero peppers. when they turned bright orange he put on his rubber gloves and chopped them up and made tea. Strained the pulp and had a gallon jug full for refills. wicked wicked stuff!!!! I've seen hornets knocked out of the air when hit. Dogs will curl into a writhing whining mess. They learn after one encounter. No perm harm done. Those powerful pump bottles throw a stream 10 feet.

PS: if you mix chewing tobacco into the tea then it is a superb bug killer. pepper burns and nicotine kills. 

No. Like they said.

Name brand "counter assault" bear spray is good for 5 years ( longer really ). 

Just 1 squirt to a can ( kidding) but if one were to spray a 60lb airborne dog which would have impacted there face it would have leaned 15' reverse direction ( against all laws of physics) rolling endlessly in the grass only to find it's way home, through the doggy door and apparently this is a drag coming home to. Shucks. 

John

I knew that pepper spray was going to be recommended, and I know it seems to work fine for mailmen and hikers, but the amount of vibration it gets during a bike ride on a gravel road tends to kill the propellant. You'd think otherwise, but for whatever reason it kills the squirt power kinda quickly.

For all I know a CO2 cartridge might not fare any better, and I definitely don't want to just piss them off worse. It was just a thought I had, that I figured I'd bounce off those that have more experience with compact CO2 powered pistols.

Unless you want to find yourself facing charged and or lawsuit you really want to take the advice of sprays.

Another choice will be pepper balls they are shot out of paint ball guns 

On bare skin paint balls hurt like @#$# 

Will sting as bad as a BB and when the dog walks home with florescent paint all over his owners might get the idea 

https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Supply-Pepper-Spray-Defense/dp/B01NBAFRQJ

So I just want to throw this out there real quick: if you think an unused can of pepper spray is going to let its propellant leak out over time and not work, just wait till you see what a 12 gram CO2 cartridge in a BB pistol does. 

If you have the money, inclination, and belief that a CO2 cartridge is more reliable than a pepper spray canister, I would go with one of the pepper ball pistols out there. Something like this perhaps:
https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Supply-Pepper-Spray-Defense/dp/B01NBAFRQJ

They have the further advantage of being available in bright non-gun colors so you're less likely to be shot/shot at/cause a scene for having/drawing it.

As far as shooting a dog with a pellet/BB gun I wouldn't for two reasons. First is, as others have noted, it almost certainly won't deter it fast enough to prevent you from being mauled. Second though is that, if you shoot someone's dog with one of those things, it is a crime to leave the scene. Essentially you'd have to shoot the dog until it was dead or ran off, and then sit where you are and call the police and deal with that whole debacle. Similar story to hitting a dog with your car and leaving the scene. Specific laws vary by state, but expect it will not be pleasant. 

Just a word word caution. My x was a USPS lady and I was a water delivery guy and feeding treats works pretty well until the day comes when you forgot the treats and or have run out. We both know people that have been bite cause the dogs were pissed when you did not have their treats.

I agree with calling animal control on the spot. They normally will respond very quickly. It keeps you legal and the owners not. It will come to a quick end!!

By the way in the 90's a dog bite was an automatic $5.000. to the person bite. I know and saw it happen at a friend bbq his pit bite a friends wife in the face when she hugged him. Her face was pretty tore up with one snip. They settled for two million dollars out of court.

Just my two cents,

Eamon