Nomad II issues

mine is reliable. When I talked to Jordan I asked him point blank how many he has seen with power supply issues he said very few. Most of the problems were opperator error. The pump is a low rpm design so it doesnt make a lot of friction heat. It has a hi volume fan to cool the compression heat and if it is lubed properly and purged it will last a long time. They did make some updates to the mother board and it seems to be working well. The one I have came with the updates. Guess time will tell. 

I almost got one of the water cooled kind. Sure glad that I did not. What a mess that would have been. 

I am very happy with my Nomad 2, however I have had two problems, the first was my fault, restart the compressor without draining the air and this damaged the motherboard(like Kthomas)
The air venturi people sent me a new motherboard unit under guarantee, although it was my fault.

Now the 4 bolts that hold the connecting rod housing have been loosened and this has caused damage to the shaft that comes out of the gearbox.
yesterday I sent an email to Air Venturi to find out what to do and asking if they have the part.

I have the compressor for over a year and use it once a week.
never use it on scubas, only on rifles, i have a brocock bantam sniper and a wildcat
I think a portable compressor is a good thing as long as it has good after-sales service, if not a bigger one and a scuba is better. Let's see how it goes now with Air Venturi.

1593710597_6727358785efe1805299625.22256076.png

1593710838_3840595275efe18f6ab67b5.33092497.png

I like the concept of the Nomad II, but unfortunately, I have had nothing but issues with mine. My unit has been back to Air Venturi now 3 times with obscure issues. There are no clear explanations of the error codes that pop up on the display plus no documentation anywhere of what they mean.

After initially receiving my unit I was able to charge up my FX impact 580ml bottle once. After that initial charge, the display unit flashed an H1 error and it wouldn't restart. So I sent it back for a warranty repair just to have it flash an H2 error shortly followed by an L error and again the unit would not start. So.... I sent it back and this time I was told that it appeared that the 20-120 v switch was defective and replaced. Seems like it had displaced during shipment. 

After receiving it from the most recent trip to Air Venturi I was able to charge my FX one more time and then it quit for good showing a H2 error after charging with the unit not powering up after that, so as we speak the unit has been sent back to Air Venturi for another repair (trip #3).

The Nomad II is an elegant compressor with a convenient size for carrying around for a fun day in the field.... if it works. So far I have not had the chance to give it a good try and I have had owned my unit for 6 months.

With that said, the customer support has been good. They have been a bit hard to get a hold of but I am sure that the COVID pandemic has not helped any either. Once I had a chance to contact Tech Support, they acted immediately and helped me right away with getting the unit shipped back.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I just bought a nomad II compressor and have had 15 fills with it. lately I have been getting and error 'H1" when using it on a card battery if I start the compressor it works but as soon as the compressor stops it has that "H1" error and it beeps.

What I have seen is if I try and run it while the car is running it errors with "H1 but if I just use it off the battery without starting car then it works fine.

I have concluded that maybe the unit can't handle the output of the battery while the alternator is running but from a dry battery it works just fine.

I would appreciate it if you guy can comment on your thoughts.

thanks

Haven't used it off the car battery, so sorry can't comment. But I have had mine for 2 years now. approx 100 fills, but yesterday mine started making a funny noise and won't build pressure. I opened it up and found the case that holds the crank and piston had cracked and broken. So seeing as it's not covered by any warranty anymore I will be pulling it apart, get the broken metal welded and strengthened.

I am quite surprised at the minimal welding considering the forces that would be transfered into this casing.

20210526_201716.1622073915.jpg
20210526_201709.1622073916.jpg

I have now pulled it apart, and the end of the case had totally broken off. It looks like there were only 2 spot welds on the inside, and any welding on the outside had been ground off so much that it was weak.

So next I need to find someone to weld this back with some extra strengthening. I am hoping it will all go back to normal, as the extra movement limited the amount the plunger could push.

20210527_170353.1622093520.jpg
20210527_170441.1622093521.jpg
20210527_170342.1622093522.jpg

If there's a Community College, or Welding school nearby, you might see if you can post an ad on a bulletin board there. Most job shops aren't going to want a job like that, although if you're lucky they might just do it on the spot to build some goodwill because it's a pretty small job. If all else fails, you can try some solder / low-temp braze (Available at welding stores, but probably not in the welding section of your local big-box hardware store). This might work surprisingly well - if you go to a 'real' welding supply, take your pieces - the counter folks at almost every one I've been to have been very helpful as well as knowledgeable. 

GsT

Yes, I am hoping to call into a small engineering firm today that have been good for me in the past. I hadn't thought about low temp braze. I actually have some of that. and have been meaning to give it a go, but this is a bit too critical for me to experiment on. Anyway, i've degreased, cleaned it, and have some cash ready in the hope they'll be willing to fix it for me. 

I managed to get it welded up today, and it's all back together and working. Relief.

There was one of four bolts holding the whole assembly onto the motor that has stripped in the cast metal. It had been cross threaded from installation. I know because it was really rough coming out, and nothing to grab going in. So only 3, fingers crossed it holds.

So overall, these problems stem from lack of QC during installation. Pity, because the heart is good, just the frame letting it down.

I managed to get it welded up today, and it's all back together and working. Relief.

There was one of four bolts holding the whole assembly onto the motor that has stripped in the cast metal. It had been cross threaded from installation. I know because it was really rough coming out, and nothing to grab going in. So only 3, fingers crossed it holds.

So overall, these problems stem from lack of QC during installation. Pity, because the heart is good, just the frame letting it down.

Woot! Keep an eye on that stripped thread - you could probably helicoil it, or in desperate times, JB Weld it into place.

GsT

I got a broken Nomad 2 from a friend of mine. Upon opening it I found that the main crank shaft has broken, and the metal box has been bent due to things not doing what they should.

Does anyone know if these parts can be ordered? I have found the schematics on Pyramid air site, but the parts I want don't show. If it wasn't too expensive, I am keen to try and fix it, as I would then have a backup unit.

20211114_223642.1636951945.jpg

20211114_223551.1636951946.jpg

I Need advise. My Nomad 2 has roughly 100 fills, it’s been maintained exactly as the manual says etc. it’s always run well with no issues. However today when I tried to fill my air rifle it would not. It started like usual then within a minute it stoped pumping air then started making a knocking sound and it shut down and gave a L code. Can anyone tell me what happened and what the Likely cause was and how to fix it? It’s out of warranty. 

thank you