No target shooting anymore?

Try shooting without a rest. That'll change bored to frustrated. Shoot prone off your elbows or standing offhand. It'll change your expectations and if you can work past frustration, it gets to be a lot of fun.
I tried that, using the side of a barn as a back stop, missed the barn. 6 decades ago I could do it with a .22lr but today, and these heavy PCP's, not happening.

Reactions: rcarlisle
For the bored to tears .177 shooters, the following should make paper target shooting interesting and addictive:

NRA 3 Position Precision Air Rifle:
Distance - 10 meters
Target - NRA Specified
Clothing - Street only
Sling - Yes
Bipod - No
Course of fire - NRA specified

NRA Dewar Prone
Distance - 50 & 100 Yards
Target - NRA Specified Smallbore
Clothing - Street only
Sling - Yes
Bipod - Yes
Course of fire - NRA Specified

NRA Mini Palma Prone
Distance - 100 Yards
Targets - NRA Specified smallbore reduction targets for 800, 900, & 1000 Yards
Clothing - Street only
Sling - Yes
Bipod - Yes
Course of fire - NRA Specified

Last edited:
Take the scope off and stretch out the distances. I don't use scopes. Yes the target is blurry, but I can see the sights good enough. I have one of those 8 resetable swinger targets I shoot at about 75 feet away, I use with a Diana 460 .22, my elbows resting on an electrical box out back. I also have a set of silhouette animals, the recommended distances are on back for pistol and rifle, try hitting those open sights, even with a rest. And my favorite is my .22lr steel trap I use for 10 meter pistol and rifle, always offhand standing using diopter or open sights, that's a challenge. I'd like to shoot a competition match with no scope and inferior equipment, then you know how good you really are
My pcp does not have open sights. And, with my old eyes and multifocal prescription lenses shooting with open sights at any distance I can throw a brick and further is next to impossible.

When I was younger, shooting hare with the open sighted .22lr standing freehand at 75 meter was not a problem. Now? I even have a scope on my lever action or I cannot use it.