• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

No obvious choice under $8,000

Hi all, I am looking for a Springer with what seems like modest requirements and can't find an obvious choice. Price isn't an issue. 

I want to be able to hunt, but also compete or at least have a tool capable of competition. 

I understand that most competition is with. .177, but I am not comfortable hunting at long range with a. 177.

I won't get a rifle that is scope only. My biggest consideration besides accuracy is weight. It would also be a bonus to have a lower clocking weight but I understand that they all are a bit heavy. 

Looks are important but not a deal killer, and I would like something that in the long term can be reliable with parts, it would be a bonus to have something that the gunner could adjust and fix himself.

Just seems like no obvious even 2-3 choices.

The few that get mentioned time and again all seem to be glass only, which puts it out of the running. 

Any clear winners to you guys? 

What types of competition? 10 meter, or field, or long range as the ones in Utah airguns and, or AOA in arizona. What game are you thing of hunting? yotes and hogs, rabbits, squirrels and doves or pesting, raccoons, squirrels, starlings & english sparrows. I feel that competition guns May be used to hunt depending on the competition and the game . Also what level of competition you will enjoy. We have all types of shooters in AGN and if you have any Ideas about the competitions you might want to participate in, that could make a big difference in air guns and pricing and multi use. I'm not a competitor, I eliminate pests mostly around my place, raccoons, occasional coyote, squirrels, pigeons and doves and birds that attack protected species.

If you insist on having the iron sight option, a WEIHRAUCH 77, 80, 98, or Beeman R9. My personal preference is .20 caliber. I am fortunate to own more than 20 Weihrauch and AA springers, but given your requirements, these would be my choices for a variety of reason. .22 will give you more pellet options but I find the .20s to be deadly accurate and a ball to shoot. And of these will last generations with proper care.

Weihrauch, tx-200,& the Beeman seem to be what I see mentioned most.

As far as "what kind of competition" I just want to have something that is capable of shooting better than I am capable of. Hunting with a .22 I wouldn't shoot anything bigger than something rabbit size.

I don't expect to be able to get a shot farther than 50 yards, or at least I wouldn't attempt one. With small game I don't see why I wouldn't be able to close the distance, I am used to hunting deer with trad gear.

Thanks, and I agree that the one size fits all isn't ideal. I do have the patience to squeeze the most out of my gear and I really only want to buy 1 and spend the time finding the best pellet and such. 

An HW77K in 22 with a Vortek PG4 kit will put you right around 17-18fpe which is excellent for rabbits and squirrels and will also keep you under the 20fpe restriction for field target. I have the 97K which is essentially the same gun minus the iron sights that the 77 has. My 97K has been able to print 5 shot, 1/4" groups at 50 yards and I would expect the 77 would do just as well.

No mistake, just saw a great rifle that was a classic by some famous airgunner and only a couple hundred were made... I wouldn't spend that, but just saying I would not flinch for a couple hundred extra bucks to only buy this once. 

I am pretty sure that the HW77K is what I am after, and knowing there are specific parameters for competition was really he, thanks.

Now it's just about finding a good deal on one, and seeing if one of the limited edition stocks can be found with a bit of patience.

Does anyone know if they still put out the fancy stocks or was that a one time thing?

Also, are there any reasons that you should be particularly careful about buying one used? Obviously all the usual precautions apply, but wondering if a used springer is a particularly bad idea for some reason like they potentially have more issues than other used sporting goods. 

I've bought a few used guns and really only had an issue with one of them. I ended up having to swap the barrel out so it wasn't a huge deal.

I was under the impression that those limited edition stocks were done being made. I would grab one in a heartbeat if the popped back in stock. That being said, for a hunting and possibly match gun I would recommend just sticking to the beech stock. You'll be less annoyed if it gets bumped every now and then.

If open sights are a must, hard to argue with the HW77.

Send it to a the tuner of your choice - lots of good ones, hard to go wrong. Have them give it them works.

Slap a BKL or Sportsmatch 1-piece mount on there with a great optic like the Sightron SIV or Falcon X50 since you're talking competition (I'm assuming field target or silhouette or benchrest with a springer?).

If the weight is an issue, HW85 or HW80 would be my choice. I have a vintage .20 Beeman R10 (HW85) that was tuned by Russ Best that I have been extremely successful with in competition. The gun has paid for itself 5-6x over. Either of those break barrels will be substantially more accurate than 99% of shooters that will touch them.

The biggest thing with ANY HW would be sending it to the right tuner. You can do home kits but since you really have a price ceiling that would allow ANY set up I would send it to a pro.

In terms of caliber, since you sort of ruled out .177, why not the .20? I believe HW still produces rifles in .20 and since money is no object paying for the slightly more expensive .20 pellets shouldn't be a deal breaker. .20 would be a smarter choice than .22 since you want to shoot competition - once again I'm assuming field target/silhouette/springer benchrest since it'll like have less drop than a .22 making hold overs easier.

Beyond HW's there are things like Whiscombes that are just the bee-knees and are very powerful but they are hard to find and parts availability would be a concern.

Just my .02. Good luck on your search.

Best,

Nico