• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

No love for AK & HI??

To all those who have listed in the past, have presently listed, and will list in the future, classified for sale ads.,—why do so many of you insist on excluding the 2 non-contiguous states in this great nation, from being able to trade our money for your wares?

If it’s the high cost of shipping—, why not just pass it on to the buyer or in the case where shipping is included, deduct that cost from the shipping cost to whichever state it’s destined for?
Trust me, the one thing we, outlaying states realize early on is the limitations set upon us due to our geographic location.

Is it returns that you fear? Easy. “All sales are final”

Is it the mysterious possibility of things suddenly disappearing in Bermuda-triangle-esque fashion mid-flight? You know that Pacific Ocean, it’s whacky and unpredictable. Hell, we haven’t lost a fully loaded plane since ‘48 (that’s a joke).But even In the off chance that it were to go “missing” (read stolen), is it really easier to go through the claims process if the package was lost 200 miles away versus 2000 miles away? This really is a problem that tends to solve itself. Ex. If I want to buy a high-end PCP from a fellow forumite in Florida, and the cheapest rate either of us can find is say $200 for shipping, then that issue solves itself, ‘cause I sure as hell ain’t paying no $200 for shipping.

Here’s something that mainlanders might not know as it relates to shipping offshore. Whereas, the prices of FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS, and whomever else is out there, are competitively priced, in the contiguous 48, this is not true where I live. In Hawaii the USPS is significantly cheaper than anyone else. So much so that the other shippers aren’t even in the conversation most of the time . I’m 51 years young, and have never in my life shipped anything via FedEx.

Now of course there are an exceptions (Years ago I got something through UPS in 2 days,—but the fact that I still remember this, is proof of how rare a circumstance this is.). Exceptions to rules and all that.

Here’s something else that judging from a few of my interactions (mostly in the musical instrument world, another hobby of mine ) I’ve had with past transactions, that may not be common knowledge . Anything packed into a USPS priority mail bag/box/envelope, will cost the same whether you’re shipping it to Kalamazoo or Mauna Kea.

Now I see an issue arising if you’re like a small business that advertises “free returns” without any sort of contract with a major carrier, but with a few well crafted words, you could avoid anything that might cause your business to lose money.

I love listening to music and have been collecting vinyl for years. Any LP that I buy through eBay will automatically take around a month to get to me. The only good thing about that is whenever I get an album I’m always pleasantly surprised, because I have throughly forgotten that I bought the damn thing.

Was going write this in the other thread about the high cost of shipping but figured this needed a thread of its own.

Great post and excellent points made. I have sold thousands of items online for my various hobbies and just randomly through eBay and have no problem shipping to AK or HI. This is usually because the folks living there are so used to being left out that they are usually super nice about working with the seller and are used to having to pay a premium. On the flip side, when I buy something coming from HI, I am glad to know that it'll most likely come by USPS priority mail and will get to me in CA in about 2-3 days whereas some seller in OH or PA could try to do UPS Ground or, worse yet, USPS Parcel Select thinking he'll save a few dollars in shipping (when it's usually about the same or sometimes more expensive) and end up taking a week or more to get here.

I have to admit, when I do state shipping to "CONUS" (or the lower 48), it's just out of bad habit and laziness because I see others state that and I probably subconsciously don't want to deal with those potential issues you listed. But if a reputable buyer contacted me, asked for shipping to AK or HI and was reasonable about paying a higher shipping charge than that listed for the CONUS, I would not refuse unless it was a significantly large, heavy or fragile item (which I'd try to sell locally anyways).

Smaller items are zero problem bc, as you said, they don't cost anymore to send by USPS to HI than they do to Nebraska for example. The recent USPS price hike on longer, oversized packages has made it much more costly to ship items like golf clubs (and therefore rifles) through USPS so I've had to resort to UPS and FedEX for larger items. To my surprise, I had to ship an eberlestock backpack to HI last month and didn't charge the buyer any additional shipping because we agreed on some wacky USPS Ground Parcel something or rather method I'd never heard of that quoted 5-7 business days for delivery. I dropped it off to USPS on a Saturday and it was delivered on the following Monday, the week before Christmas and we were both pleasantly shocked! And it didn't cost an arm and a leg despite being a larger box weighing over 10lbs.

So, yes, there are sellers that will ship to HI and more should. Feel free to buy from me anytime! ;)

Reactions: FALSECRACK89
With anything I've sold, that's what I meant. Expect extra shipping costs. While it is true that shipping via USPS is the lowest cost option, most of us are not willing to use it for 2 reasons: their tracking system is substandard compared to other carriers, and if the item is lost/damaged it will take a LONG time to get your $$ back if ever. Almost anything I sell over a couple hundred dollars, I ship UPS fully insured, and they are no guarantee either. I shipped an item two states away last fall, in a TSA rated case that UPS destroyed. They ran me around for months, asking what the burst rating of the outer case was when the inner case was TSA rated. They made me get an itemized quote from FX for the repairs too.
I recently had a member offer to buy an item which I clearly stated was Shipped CONUS. He was in Puerto Rico. He tells me Puerto Rico is "part of the US" and I could ship it USPS. I declined the sale. UPS would have been a little over $100 on a sub $400 item AND it would require Customs documentation.
The only way I would ship USPS is at the buyers request IF they assume all responsibility for it the second I tender it to the P.O. ie any damage or loss claim is handled by them, not me, AND, no payment via Paypal that the buyer can file a claim on. You want to use the USPS? We'll use USPS all the way, send me a USPS money order.

Last edited:
With anything I've sold, that's what I meant. Expect extra shipping costs. While it is true that shipping via USPS is the lowest cost option, most of us are not willing to use it for 2 reasons: their tracking system is substandard compared to other carriers, and if the item is lost/damaged it will take a LONG time to get your $$ back if ever. Almost anything I sell over a couple hundred dollars, I ship UPS fully insured, and they are no guarantee either. I shipped an item two states away last fall, in a TSA rated case that UPS destroyed. They ran me around for months, asking what the burst rating of the outer case was when the inner case was TSA rated. They made me get an itemized quote from FX for the repairs too.
I recently had a member offer to buy an item which I clearly stated was Shipped CONUS. He was in Puerto Rico. He tells me Puerto Rico is "part of the US" and I could ship it USPS. I declined the sale. UPS would have been a little over $100 on a sub $400 item AND it would require Customs documentation.
The only way I would ship USPS is at the buyers request IF they assume all responsibility for it the second I tender it to the P.O. ie any damage or loss claim is handled by them, not me, AND, no payment via Paypal that the buyer can file a claim on. You want to use the USPS? We'll use USPS all the way, send me a USPS money order.
Yeah I hear you with usps. The tracking often will say label created usps awaiting item and then it just shows up. Or it will show never moving out of a hub and then it’s on your door step. I just won’t use them anymore. A year or so ago I sent a certified check for a rifle 300 miles away and it took 8 days to get there. Appeared lost and it took a call from me to the customer service line and to the local post office it was supposed to finally get it delivered. It magically showed up the next day. This Christmas a gift took from dec 12 to dec 23 to go from Toledo Ohio to Michigan. If you do ship through them to someone and something happens I am pretty sure it is on you to take care of all the claims processing as you are their customer on that transaction not the recipient. I know fedex is that way. I just refuse to use them. UPS rates are awesome through pirate ship anyway.

Yeah I hear you with usps. The tracking often will say label created usps awaiting item and then it just shows up. .......

Usually when tracking says only "Label Created - awaiting item" that means that the person sending it did not request a scan when they dropped it off at the post office. That is a HUGE mistake on their part and it applies to UPS and FedEx as well. If a package disappears before it is scanned, likely neither the seller nor the buyer will be able to get an insurance payout. Another problem with no scan, particularly if the shipper leaves it on the porch, the buyer can claim they never got the shipment, even if they did and get their money back from their credit card company. Some people do this on a regular basis, stealing the merchandise. It is called Friendly Fraud.

I too avoid USPS if I can, but sometimes it is the only option cost wise. I have stuff shipped to me from Japan and if the seller sends it by EMS (International Express Mail) it saves me at least $60 on customs brokerage, and sometimes over $500 depending on the value of the shipment. The shipping cost is about the same before the brokerage fees. My only 3 insurance claims in the last 35 years went thusly - One with UPS - I was paid in full after about 2 weeks for a $2400 loss. One with FedEx for a $1500 damaged shipment, paid out in 10 days and My one and only claim with the USPS netted me 25 cents on the dollar for the insurance claim on a $200 value, completely lost package.

I’m with what Yen said. Out of habit I always put CONUS shipping included. But I won’t hesitate to ship to other US states when it is legal.

And to the OP, you are right USPS to HI is only like $10 more than to another state. I’m happy to ship if we can agree on the cost.

The one thing I don’t want to get involved with is selling international. I dealt with that all the time when I was building custom flashlights for people around the world. After 100+ customs forms I’ve had enough of that.

1st off, yes USPS’s tracking numbers are like a placebo, or a “suggestion” box on the wall that you discover is really only a 3-D painting

Oh man, didn’t realize I had actually posted the above statement. Thought it was still in draft form.

Reminds of the Austin Powers quote, “only 2 things scare me , and one of them is nuclear war”……..

Last edited:
Usually when tracking says only "Label Created - awaiting item" that means that the person sending it did not request a scan when they dropped it off at the post office. That is a HUGE mistake on their part and it applies to UPS and FedEx as well. If a package disappears before it is scanned, likely neither the seller nor the buyer will be able to get an insurance payout. Another problem with no scan, particularly if the shipper leaves it on the porch, the buyer can claim they never got the shipment, even if they did and get their money back from their credit card company. Some people do this on a regular basis, stealing the merchandise. It is called Friendly Fraud.

I too avoid USPS if I can, but sometimes it is the only option cost wise. I have stuff shipped to me from Japan and if the seller sends it by EMS (International Express Mail) it saves me at least $60 on customs brokerage, and sometimes over $500 depending on the value of the shipment. The shipping cost is about the same before the brokerage fees. My only 3 insurance claims in the last 35 years went thusly - One with UPS - I was paid in full after about 2 weeks for a $2400 loss. One with FedEx for a $1500 damaged shipment, paid out in 10 days and My one and only claim with the USPS netted me 25 cents on the dollar for the insurance claim on a $200 value, completely lost package.
Use pirate ship. The cheapest option at least here is generally always UPS and the rates are amazing. I will say pirate ship has worked out some new deals with usps as since the new year the usps rates are just about as cheap. I work for a competitor of the postal service and things are scanned every step of the way through each hub. Of course things are missed as it’s people in charge but not to the degree of the post office.

Use pirate ship. The cheapest option at least here is generally always UPS and the rates are amazing. I will say pirate ship has worked out some new deals with usps as since the new year the usps rates are just about as cheap. I work for a competitor of the postal service and things are scanned every step of the way through each hub. Of course things are missed as it’s people in charge but not to the degree of the post office.

I do use Pirate Ship now. Learned about them here. I insure through UPS Capital for actual insurance, as it costs less and supposedly has better claim coverage than regular UPS "declared value" which is not actually insurance, FedEx or USPS, though I have not had to file a claim yet.

I recently had a very high dollar UPS shipment that the person on the sending end did not get scanned by the driver, and it was not scanned until it was actually delivered to my address. I did not sleep well for several nights.

Reactions: Trucker3573
USPS for us here on da Islands is the bomb !!!!.....cheaper, faster, more reliable then any others.

Been shipping and receiving bows for over 2 decades, airguns for a decade and a half
would not even consider the other carriers USPS has been spot on and trust me a lot of bows and guns have crossed the ocean both ways, a lot, more than you can immagine.

Last edited:
I haven't bought or sold much via AGN, but the few times I've tried I was pleasantly surprised at people willing to ship to Canada. So I'm a little surprised Hawaii or Alaska would have issues. We have insane Canadian Customs to deal with. Canada Customs goes apoplectic anytime they encounter anything firearm related.

That said, I can understand distain for Alaska. You're all pretend northerners. Y'all have soft, easy winters with climates dominated by the Pacific Ocean. Go a little east and you'll encounter the true north. Ice spiders as big as hounds!

Flat rate box my man, Flat rate box.......that is all it is, open your orizons.
It was, the small fits it ships with 4 tins of CPHP's. Dropped it in the box with prepaid postage, got a note in my mailbox to come pick up my package from the post-office.

When I got there, the counter helper went and got the post master and he explained to me that HI was banned from "ammunition deliveries" and he didn't want to argue about it with me.

I refunded the purchase and shot them myself.

No Mas

It was, the small fits it ships with 4 tins of CPHP's. Dropped it in the box with prepaid postage, got a note in my mailbox to come pick up my package from the post-office.

When I got there, the counter helper went and got the post master and he explained to me that HI was banned from "ammunition deliveries" and he didn't want to argue about it with me.

I refunded the purchase and shot them myself.

No Mas
How did they know there was pellets inside ?......yes you cannot ship real ammo to Hawaii but no law against pellets

Reactions: Firewalker