• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

No love for 6,35/.25 cal?

Hi folks,

this is my first post in this forum so i hope that it's not thaaat boring and not already discussed too much.

I am looking for my first pcp and probably i'll pull the trigger on an Ataman m2r and i was thinking about the 6,35 cal. I was searching around but didn't found much info about this cal on this rifle, and in general i had the feeling that maybe it's not a very commonly used caliber, or at least not that much as 5.5 or 4.5. While there are some reviews in 5.5 and 357, there isn't much about my preference. Is there a reason? Should i be concerned about anything?

I would use mostly for target shooting (possibly long range), rarely for hunting because where i live is forbidden. Ok, nobody can say anything if i shoot a rabbit in my property :)

Thanx.

1587226023_14460009305e9b25a7e467b0.39088332.jpg

LOTS of love for .25 cal.! Can't speak for the Ataman but it was one of my choices when I decided to spend the $ on a "high end" airgun. For me, the higher cost of ammo is well worth the price to pay for the accuracy in the wind & harder impact when hunting. If you're just paper shooting the .25 will definitely reach out to longer distances and as for "the occasional rabbit on your property" the .25 will be a more forgiving caliber. Good luck, welcome aboard & thanks for posting! 

I'll always be a .177 first kinda guy. .177 embodies everything that make airguns fun/safe/backyard....at least for the average guy. 

That said, I love my .25 and if my guns are put away, it'll be the first one I pull off the rack for the next shooting session unless I am doing something specific. Not to leave the .22s out but mine don't have the power to outdo the .25 and are too powerful to substitute for the .177's.

Be advised there is no Ataman service aside from PA in the USA at least as long as they continue to sell that brand. Do you have the equipment to fill it? They do require a higher than normal 300BAR 4300psi fill and in .25 you are going to use a lot of air FYI... I have the Ataman AP16 pistol and really like it but worry that parts or service would be hard to come by since I see the price for the brand keeps on dropping and see refurbs being a Russian gun which really surprised me since they should be built tough and dependable. If it were my money and my first PCP I would buy a 25 Taipan Veteran insread which is already proven. There's a good deal on a 25 Taipan Veteran on the classifieds now. YO!

I would also buy a 25 Edgun Morana from Talon Tunes before considering an Ataman if it's a rifle that you seek in that price range I have one and it's super accurate for target shooting. Reason for suggesting this one over the Ataman? Only 3000psi fill 50+ good regulated shots 50+fpe and it's an Edgun priced right. They used to cost $1800.00 and now it's a steal. YO!

.25 for longer range target shooting should give you an advantage over a .22. The JSB 34gr pellets are excellent for long range given they can be pushed out of the barrel fast enough (860fps ish I would say) so they keep enough speed so they don't destabilize at say around 100 yards. 

The JSB 34gr pellets seem to do especially well with the L.W. polygon barrels. You may want to consider that in your choice making. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide on. 

Chas

If the full size rifles have the same trigger mechanics as the carbine ? .... While good quality they LACK adjustablity which a LOT of other rifles in that price point offer !!

Worked on a few of the carbines and while build quality is very good, there pretty industrial / solid & basic in design and IMO not really refined for a discriminating AG enthusiast.

Hey guys, thank you very much for all the inputs, lot's of good advice here.

I will answer and update with a new contender that i discovered just today.

First of all, i do not live in the US but actually in Greece: Ataman would be complicated to service but, reading around seem to be a quite reliable piece of hardware....ok, everything is reliable till it breaks :) indeed a point to take into consideration. I'll have to buy all the needed gear because it's my first pcp: i have a gamo hunter 440 (that i love), an old diana 45 (i think) that belong to my father and that i recently resurrected, some pistols.....but no pcp. I'll get a foot pump for now 💪

I will have a look to the other rifles that have been suggested, but as said, just today i discovered a new rifle: it's a hatsan. To be honest i never looked at this brand because of....let's say kinda mindset, i don't buy turkish stuff, but damn this rifle is nice and has a detail that i always loved: FULL AUTO :D I am talking about the very new Blitz model available in .22, .25 and .30. I am seriously thinking about the .30 BUT, again, have no idea about how this kind of round performs. It's stated that the .22 flies at 1050fps, the .25 at 970fps and the .30 730 (pyramidair data).....i might be wrong, but i see a way too big difference between the .25 and the .30 in favor to the smaller caliber. This difference make me think that the producer might be cutting some corners between these 2 calibers. Opinions? I like the idea of the .30, but i'm afraid that the lighter faster .25 in this case might perform better than the .30 in all fields.

Here's a lik to the new toy: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_Blitz_Full_Auto_PCP_Air_Rifle/5193

Obviously it's a different kind of animal compared to the ataman quality wise, probably overall performance, but the few reviews say that it's accurate, fast, fun......and fullauto :D

Cheers.

PS: sorry for mistakes but english it's not my first language.

I don't even have the slightest clue why on Earth Hatsan would even attempt to market a full auto when their semiautos are very problematic? GOOD LUCK. In this case I would suggest you buy the Ataman instead especially flexing your big muscular arm you should have no problem pumping it to 4300psi. Hatsan is not even in the same league as the other mentioned guns. I know because I own a lot of Hatsans too. At least if you want to talk Turkey you should get a KRAL instead. I can guarantee that you will be much happier. YO!

IMHO, two things come to mind. #1, once you burn through $30 worth of pellets on the novelty of full auto (about 5 minutes) it's just another airgun. #2, buy once,cry once. In other words you'd probably be happy in the long run with spending more $ on a higher level PROVEN platform. Hatsans are great for their price range but you've got to tweak them to their full potential. My Royale 500 out of the box shot 1/2" groups @ 50 yards without breaking a sweat. Had to really work on my Hatsans (BT65 in .22 & .25 & AT44 .22) to get them that accurate & for an older "boy" like me they're heavy & cumbersome. AND I had to add a Donny FL to quiet them down & still they were much louder than my Royale with no added moderator. (Hatsans were the QE series, their "quiet" ones!)

Good news If you end up buying a full auto and want to use the pump then you will be the fittest person on this planet Definitely pumping more than shooting. Buy a Hong Heng and plug it directly into the gun. YO!

:D

I thought it was easier to pump a pcp. 

Might be a stupid question: if i use an air tank that i refill at gas stations (for tires), can i then use the air tank to refill my pcp?