No longer a big Hatsan PCP fan

I have 3. All have functioned just fine. Not the most polished type of gun but they have all worked as designed.

I have six and hadn't had any trouble before I got the NovaStar. The biggest thing is that it seems like their QC has fallen off because of all the issues with the novaStar is shoddy work and slack QC.

How heavy does it feel/handle compared to some of your rifles you shoot?

You said you have a nice extensive variety of air rifles.

When I first saw and read that Hatsan was coming out with a slim down version of the Nova I was hopeful it would be a real hit.

I have 3. All have functioned just fine. Not the most polished type of gun but they have all worked as designed.

I have six and hadn't had any trouble before I got the NovaStar. The biggest thing is that it seems like their QC has fallen off because all the issues with the novaStar is shoddy work and slack QC.

So 5 out of 6 have been good. Anything can have a problem. Daystate compressors have failed and they were widely hailed as all any shooter needed. It happens. Things have problems. My latest Hatsan was purchased this year and it is fine. Could be that they are having more issues. Could also be that you just got one that was less than ideal.

I have six and hadn't had any trouble before I got the NovaStar. The biggest thing is that it seems like their QC has fallen off because all the issues with the novaStar is shoddy work and slack QC.

So 5 out of 6 have been good. Anything can have a problem. Daystate compressors have failed and they were widely hailed as all any shooter needed. It happens. Things have problems. My latest Hatsan was purchased this year and it is fine. Could be that they are having more issues. Could also be that you just got one that was less than ideal.

Could also be new product/first few months of manufacturing issues. The Novastar was introduced this year... 

Not making excuses for them, but hopefully not a long term problem, and I've seen where an individual assembly gets into a rework cycle in manufacturing (where everything goes off the normal product flow) and bad things happen like this. One mistake initiates another and another-- sometimes the guys doing the off-line repairs are not as familiar with the assembly process of each and every model, and are putting things back together that simply cannot be visually inspected afterwards. Quality really needs to be built-in and not inspected in. 

It's pretty much the same gun as a Nova with a different magazine system. And it's built on the AT44 platform which is more than 10 years old. I'm more upset that they cut corners. For example, the anti-debounce device is still designed like the one in the AT44, but it's thinner. It started failing after less than 200 shots. The cocking handle is essentially the same as the Nova and AT44, but the metal seems rougher like they used inferior grade steel and other similar things that add up to poorer quality. I'm aware that any guns can have problems, I've seen several posts here where people got their impacts and parts fell off or they leaked. I just think Hatsan began putting cheaper parts in this new gun.

Hey guys, I usually hang out on GTA, but I've been a member here for a while. Norman showed me the link to his post, so I figured I'd log in and give you guys some(a lot) more details :) 

The problems I've been seeing with the newer Hatsans have really bothered me as well. A little backstory: I've been playing with them for a few years now, and know them well, especially when it comes to making them "better". My first was an AT44 Long, which I learned a lot from, and eventually sold to finance a Bullboss when they came out. That AT44 is still shooting to this day with the person I sold it too. My Bullboss .22 is still going strong after thousands of rounds, many at higher than factory power levels. Like many of you, I've always loved the Hatsans for the their value, reliability, and tune-ability. I've never thought they were the best gun out there, but I've always considered them among the best bang for the buck one can buy. There are few guns that you can get the power or shot count(for air available) out of with very little cost in parts. All that's needed is some elbow grease.

The problems I've seen aren't limited to the Nova Star, and it is entirely possible Norman got a "Friday" gun. I started getting concerned about a year ago when I started seeing a lot of issues with the newer runs of the Bullboss. Parts that are metal on my early run Bullboss are plastic on the newer ones, which means the triggers aren't that great. I also started seeing a lot of them with the "wishbone" de-bounce device failing. They changed the design from the original, which was the exact same one as on the AT44. I've never had one of those fail. The new design splits in half and gouges up the breech assembly, on top of not functioning as a de-bounce anymore. Symptoms are everything from lots of air use, to rough cocking, to the inability to cock, and even ruining the breech assembly. Less than a year ago, I ordered the the AT44 de-bounce from Hatsan to replace one in a Bullboss, and it was the old design, so ordering that part for the AT44 may be a solution to those of you who have had that piece fail, fwiw.

The problems I found with Norman's Nova Star are as follows: 1) The pellet probe was too short. About 1.5mm of the 34 grain JSB was still sticking out over the barrel port when the pellet was loaded and the cocking handle closed. I will admit that it was barely sticking out with the factory porting in the breech, but still inexcusable. I was able to remedy that by extending the probe a bit. 2) The de-bounce wishbone was in two pieces. That is the first one I've seen that wasn't in a Bullboss. Fortunately, I had ordered two for an AT44 last time I ordered one, so I had one to replace it with. 3)The cocking lever is held into place with pins, like most Hatsans. The bottom hole on the lever was wallowed out, so the pin was barely hanging on. I fixed that. 4) One of the o-rings for the transfer port was the wrong size(too large). I replaced that. 5)Both of the outside barrel o-rings were cut, so I had to replace them. 6) The hammer spring was MAXED out, and hard to break free. That was producing a steadily declining shot string. 7) The tip of the valve stem that gets struck by the hammer looked like it had been ground down, and not evenly either. I evened that out and cleaned it up. 8( The valve itself had been tightened down so hard that the flats on the end of the valve were warped, and were catching causing an extremely tight fit in the gun. I fixed that too. All of this stuff is absolutely unacceptable! Especially, considering Hatsan's price saving changes may have saved them a $1.39 on each gun,lol. It will cost them a lot more, if they don't get their stuff together with lost customers and returns. Bean counters never count the cost of the aftermath of their changes :(

After it was all said and done, Norman's Nova Star should be an awesome gun now though. I basically threw the kitchen sink at it with tuning and fixing stuff. It went from a max speed of 850 fps with the 34 grain JSBs to a max speed of 1060fps with the 34 grain. Obviously, that isn't the tune he'll be using it with. I had to see what it could do though :D The gun is actually capable of a solid 20 shot 80 fpe tune with a sub 20 fps ES using 43 grain Eun Jins! Per his request, I tuned it to around 890 fps with the 34 grain for a 60fpe tune. It is getting about 50 shots at that power level with an ES under 30 fps. If shooting at 50 yards or less, then it can probably do 60 shots around that level. Now it is quieter, cocks easier, and just feels better all around. These results are a perfect example of why I've always loved Hatsans. You can just do so much with them!

I will say, I don't think they're all bad, and most any gun can be fixed, but they really need to get it together. At this point in time, I will only recommend two of their PCPs. The AT44 is one, because it has been around forever and is generally bullet proof. The other good one is the Flash/Flashpup, because that gun is so simple it is hard for them to get wrong(even on a Friday). Most of you know what can be done with the AT44 platforms, which is basically anything from 20 fpe to 60+fpe. The Flash uses a very similar valve, and is easy to work on. It also has pretty good power potential, and doesn't weigh anything(great hunter). I hope all of this info helps some of you guys that may have been considering a Hatsan PCP. They can still be great guns, but know you may need to do more work to them than you planned. I really do hope someone at Hatsan sees this and takes action. I hated to see them go down hill like this. Their designs are SOLID, but they better work on that execution during the production side for sure. That's all I have for now!

The Nova I received from PA a year ago was the worst workmanship inside I have ever seen in an airgun. Terrible!

I called and of course they didn't believe me. Until they took a look at it them selves after threatening my with the statement that if It wasn't as I claimed, I would be charged. I have been a customer of many years. Never called with a problem. Every. I was really put off by their attitude and rudeness/ Well they had to admit that it was really bad. Ordered a Rainstorm II and paid the difference. 

Love the Storm. Sadly, Mr. Lee, owner of Evanix has decided to not support the US shooters guns. We are on our own. GRRRRR!!!

Love the Storm. Sadly, Mr. Lee, owner of Evanix has decided to not support the US shooters guns. We are on our own. GRRRRR!!!

I bought a Flashpup and while it shoots fine their are some little faux pas that shouldn't have gone through QC. Dings in the stock, scratches on the shroud, a front lower Piccatiny rail that points off to the left about 10 degrees and a screwdriver way too small was used to close the pressure release screw marring it. Just little stuff, but not acceptable on a 400 dollar rifle and even less so on an 800 dollar one.

Is Evanix still in business?

Hey guys, I usually hang out on GTA, but I've been a member here for a while. Norman showed me the link to his post, so I figured I'd log in and give you guys some(a lot) more details :) 

The problems I've been seeing with the newer Hatsans have really bothered me as well. A little backstory: I've been playing with them for a few years now, and know them well, especially when it comes to making them "better". My first was an AT44 Long, which I learned a lot from, and eventually sold to finance a Bullboss when they came out. That AT44 is still shooting to this day with the person I sold it too. My Bullboss .22 is still going strong after thousands of rounds, many at higher than factory power levels. Like many of you, I've always loved the Hatsans for the their value, reliability, and tune-ability. I've never thought they were the best gun out there, but I've always considered them among the best bang for the buck one can buy. There are few guns that you can get the power or shot count(for air available) out of with very little cost in parts. All that's needed is some elbow grease.

The problems I've seen aren't limited to the Nova Star, and it is entirely possible Norman got a "Friday" gun. I started getting concerned about a year ago when I started seeing a lot of issues with the newer runs of the Bullboss. Parts that are metal on my early run Bullboss are plastic on the newer ones, which means the triggers aren't that great. I also started seeing a lot of them with the "wishbone" de-bounce device failing. They changed the design from the original, which was the exact same one as on the AT44. I've never had one of those fail. The new design splits in half and gouges up the breech assembly, on top of not functioning as a de-bounce anymore. Symptoms are everything from lots of air use, to rough cocking, to the inability to cock, and even ruining the breech assembly. Less than a year ago, I ordered the the AT44 de-bounce from Hatsan to replace one in a Bullboss, and it was the old design, so ordering that part for the AT44 may be a solution to those of you who have had that piece fail, fwiw.

The problems I found with Norman's Nova Star are as follows: 1) The pellet probe was too short. About 1.5mm of the 34 grain JSB was still sticking out over the barrel port when the pellet was loaded and the cocking handle closed. I will admit that it was barely sticking out with the factory porting in the breech, but still inexcusable. I was able to remedy that by extending the probe a bit. 2) The de-bounce wishbone was in two pieces. That is the first one I've seen that wasn't in a Bullboss. Fortunately, I had ordered two for an AT44 last time I ordered one, so I had one to replace it with. 3)The cocking lever is held into place with pins, like most Hatsans. The bottom hole on the lever was wallowed out, so the pin was barely hanging on. I fixed that. 4) One of the o-rings for the transfer port was the wrong size(too large). I replaced that. 5)Both of the outside barrel o-rings were cut, so I had to replace them. 6) The hammer spring was MAXED out, and hard to break free. That was producing a steadily declining shot string. 7) The tip of the valve stem that gets struck by the hammer looked like it had been ground down, and not evenly either. I evened that out and cleaned it up. 8( The valve itself had been tightened down so hard that the flats on the end of the valve were warped, and were catching causing an extremely tight fit in the gun. I fixed that too. All of this stuff is absolutely unacceptable! Especially, considering Hatsan's price saving changes may have saved them a $1.39 on each gun,lol. It will cost them a lot more, if they don't get their stuff together with lost customers and returns. Bean counters never count the cost of the aftermath of their changes :(

After it was all said and done, Norman's Nova Star should be an awesome gun now though. I basically threw the kitchen sink at it with tuning and fixing stuff. It went from a max speed of 850 fps with the 34 grain JSBs to a max speed of 1060fps with the 34 grain. Obviously, that isn't the tune he'll be using it with. I had to see what it could do though :D The gun is actually capable of a solid 20 shot 80 fpe tune with a sub 20 fps ES using 43 grain Eun Jins! Per his request, I tuned it to around 890 fps with the 34 grain for a 60fpe tune. It is getting about 50 shots at that power level with an ES under 30 fps. If shooting at 50 yards or less, then it can probably do 60 shots around that level. Now it is quieter, cocks easier, and just feels better all around. These results are a perfect example of why I've always loved Hatsans. You can just do so much with them!

I will say, I don't think they're all bad, and most any gun can be fixed, but they really need to get it together. At this point in time, I will only recommend two of their PCPs. The AT44 is one, because it has been around forever and is generally bullet proof. The other good one is the Flash/Flashpup, because that gun is so simple it is hard for them to get wrong(even on a Friday). Most of you know what can be done with the AT44 platforms, which is basically anything from 20 fpe to 60+fpe. The Flash uses a very similar valve, and is easy to work on. It also has pretty good power potential, and doesn't weigh anything(great hunter). I hope all of this info helps some of you guys that may have been considering a Hatsan PCP. They can still be great guns, but know you may need to do more work to them than you planned. I really do hope someone at Hatsan sees this and takes action. I hated to see them go down hill like this. Their designs are SOLID, but they better work on that execution during the production side for sure. That's all I have for now!

Very thoughtful and well stated. I don't disagree that there are often issues with Hatsan guns. I tend to go through a gun to remove grunge and polish surfaces and maybe that's why my Hatsan's have worked acceptably. I did modify the trigger linkage and generally clean and debur the rifle but the Gladius I have is functional and accurate. It seems I've read about plenty of issues with FX, Daystate, AA, HW, and other "better" guns. Maybe it is a price point issue. They certainly are no where near perfect but few things are, especially these days. I hope that Hatsan overall quality isn't declining but so far the Hatsan guns I've bought have been fine for the money spent. Maybe this is not the case for those who don't want to "tinker" with their guns. Sorry for those who have had bad luck with the guns they've bought and it is something Hatsan should take care of for their customers. Personally, I would not hesitate to buy another Hatsan product.

well im new to all this and dont know about tuneing and that stuff, but back in november i bought a bullboss .25 from airgun depot. never seen or touched any pcp just videos and looking online. still havent put 500 pellets throu it,im getting between 36 and 45 shots per fill but the only thing i dont like about it so far is the weight of the gun.

Black diesel, so, hows that Hercules Bully treating you? Haven’t seen you make mention of it since you got it from your buddy. What speeds do you have it tuned for, in the 44.75 grainers?

It's doing fine. I haven't been able to tune it because I had an issue with my chrony. But I took it out to shoot long range and was able to hit small objects past 120 yards with no problem.

An interesting factoid about barrel twists I learned when It was explained to me why Snakeshot shells work lousy in rifled barrels. I knew it was from the spinning flinging the shot outwards but had no idea how fast they spun.

A typical PCP shooting a pellet at 800 FPS with a twist rate of 1 in 16 will spin the pellet at 36,000 RPM. I was amazed at how fast they spin and also at how a small variation can make a large difference in performance. Powder Rifle bullets spin much faster than 100,000 RPMs.

1566067764_17965191155d584c34de4da5.49263998_100_0452.JPG
Well mine may be a "Friday afternoon gun" too but it can make up for it in other ways. 50yds sight in and then the lower right string was fired from a full fill. The 3 Senecas were loaded in the same mag last in string and POI drop was 1.5"

Box Stock Flashpup with 3D printed aftermarket airstripper, and that's it other than trigger and hammer spring adjustment.