• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

No Hatsan Love around here ?

I like the look of the Hatsan's and purchased my first 105x a few years ago, returned it when the bear trap device locked up. Soon after I returned the replacement with the same issue. Decided to stick with them and bit the bullet, coughed up the extra cash and got myself the MOD87. The bundled scope is bad as you'd expect, but the 87 with an upgraded scope and a few thousand pellets through it has become a much loved and very accurate gun.

MOD87.1620263639.jpg

I have 1 Hatsan springer, 2 Vortex, and 1 PCP. Not the most refined guns, but they can work very well. Many seem to have had bad luck with Hatsan guns. Many others seem to have been perfectly satisfied with what they got. Seems those who aren't happy with something are often more likely to note it than are many of those satisfied with the same thing. 

I have a Hatsan Striker 1000x I bought from Midway USA for 96 frog skins..22 springer that's really accurate once you get the hang of shooting break barrel springers. Here it is with the factory stock & Hammers 3-9x32AO mildot scope;

IMG_5102.1623441120.JPG

And now, with modded model 95 Turkish walnut stock I still need to make a front bracket for to mount the forestock screws. Stripped, sanded stock with about 5 coats of B/C Tru-Oil. Both rifles now have the logo sling mounted with an Uncle Mike's barrel mount swivel kit for a Marlin 94. Now redubbed the Striker 1000XS. "S" for Supergrade...

IMG_7187.1623441283.JPG

And the Edge .25 vortex I bought, seen here in factory condition;

IMG_6323.1623441373.JPG

And now, dropped right into the 1000x stock, as they are the same barreled action. With Centerpoint 3-9x40AO German-style mildot scope. Redubbed the Edge 1000x;

IMG_6832.1623441560.JPG

Hello. I am new to Airgun Nation. My first attempt to post something here. I have been an air gunner for over 40 years. Shot leagues in the 80’s and 90’s. I am a “do-it-yourselfer”. I love barrel break air rifles. Been working on them for decades. Mostly Weihrauch’s. I love to tear them apart and give them a super tune. These precision German rifles out of the box still twang and just lack the potential they have.

I started playing around with Hatsan’s around 2013 maybe before. First I bought the 95 springer in .177. I now have a cabinet full of different Hatsan models. These are very well made, accurate and hard hitting rifles. They are also everything everybody says about them. Quality is all over the place. Some good enough out of the box. Some not.

The pics are of the latest 95 QE Vortex in .22 caliber and the first 95 springer .177 that I turned into a carbine. I have done many carbines. Everybody likes them much more than the original. The muzzle brake is just the factory sight remade into a muzzle brake. I prefer the spring over the Vortex. Polishing the piston and internals, then lining the piston with blister pack plastic and polishing the spring ends smooths the behavior as well if not better than the Vortex. The potential of the trigger is not being realized because the 2 adjustment screws are about 1/16 of an inch to short. These triggers can be gotten safely to a couple pounds or even much less if desired. There are plenty of videos out there that will help someone go through one of these.

I look at these Hatsan’s as a bargain in the box that is full of potential. German steel and beautiful Turkish Walnut! At an unbelievable price. If one just doesn’t want to tinker then this may not be for you. If these Hatsan 95’s were made in Germany with Turkish Walnut they would more in the range of a $1000. And still needing a tune!!
6ADB1F83-54FD-4F39-822D-16178B40341B.1640047661.jpeg

One of my favorite air rifle ever. The Hatsan 135 QE Vortex. I have one in .22 and one in .25 caliber. Webley once made this beast in Great Britain but they gave it up and it went to Turkey under Hatsan. Fully adjustable Turkish Walnut stock, the trigger is every bit as good as the German Record (multi-lever) trigger once the trigger adjustment screws are lengthened about a 1/16 of an inch. Accurate! Powerful! Gorgeous! Under $300!! If Webley still made it granted the metal work would not be comparable (however these two were purchased early when they first released them and they are pretty well done. I think they have slid a bit lately) but the stock would be Beech and the price would be closer to $1500.

If I get any new Hatsan’s and do not like the metal work (polishing and bluing) I’ll finish polish and blue the receiver. Been wanting to do one anyway. Looking at that big 135 .30 caliber.

These are great learning and project guns! Nothing out there better with as much potential.
CEFB545C-FBD0-40CF-BA87-5EDEE35EB311.1640047507.jpeg

Reactions: Star7
Webley gave up because the company went into receivership in 2005. When the dust settled trying to sort everything, the Webley & Scott name and everything to do with them was bought by a company called Highland Outdoors Group. However the deal was struck, Hatsan started making their air guns for them and not long after, Hatsan started making their own with minor cosmetic changes and new names. I own a few Turkish built Webleys along with any number of Hatsans.

Just a few of the Turk built Webleys vs their Hatsan cousins:

Webley Patriot - Hatsan 135

Webley Tomahawk - Hatsan Model 95..I have 4 of the Turk built Tomahawks. Same rifle as the 95 with a prettier Monte Carlo stock and a threaded barrel. See the pic below :)

Webley Valuemax - Hatsan 1000X, Striker, Edge..except for minor cosmetic changes, they're all the same rifle. I have 4 Turk built Webley Valuemax rifles all in .20 caliber before they stopped making them and went to just .177 and .22.

There are others but they stopped selling Webley branded rifles in the US a few years ago. Not sure who makes them these days but they did just build a new factory in India and the one air rifle they do list is the Webley Tomahawk. They've made minor changes as it now has open sights and although they claim it's a Quattro trigger, it looks more like the ones I've seen on the UK built Tomahawks. 

https://webleyscott.in/collections/airguns

gun racks 3.1640018416.jpg

Not all I own since the collection also includes HW, Beeman, Diana, Norica, Mendoza and some others.

I have 3 of those 4 Tomahawks after AoA clearanced their remaining stock and were selling them off for $100 each. I bought one and convinced 2 friends to buy and try by saying if they didn't like them, I'd buy them. The 4th was only something like $139.99 and for an extra $20, they'd toss in a Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 and mounts. 

The Valuemax .20's were pretty much the same thing. Last seller to have any was on Amazon and selling them off for $100 each and free shipping. I love .20 and bought 4. They may only be Hatsan Edge rifles but they're silly accurate in .20.

The Hatsan 135 QE Vortex is the only one made in .30 caliber. That I know of. I not sure but I don’t think the Webley Patriot 135 made in Great Britain then for a while in Turkey under the Hatsan brand ever made it in .30 caliber. Does anyone know this for sure?

The new 135 isn’t a spring gun either. It’s a Vortex. (Gas ram). It can be changed easily to a spring though. I’m looking at a spring mod for mine now. It’s a spring in a spring. Supposed to really jump the power. I would get the 135 .30 caliber first and that would be the one I’d modify. I wouldn’t do my .22 or .25. The gun surely is robust enough to handle more power. The only concern I have is if the stock will hold up. I think the weight of the .30 will really tone back the behavior enough not to eat the stock. 

Getting that big 45-55 grain .30 caliber slug up to 700-800 FPS would be awesome! The other issue for me is how stupid the price is for the .30 pellets. Around 10 cents a pellet. That’s just a rip-off. More made all the time so will probably eventually come down. Wouldn’t shoot it all the time anyway. 

These Hatsan 135’s are really a blast. They are very large rifles but not as heavy as they look. My Weihrauch HW 97 feels much heavier to me. 

If and when I build up this .30 caliber super-mag, I’ll keep y’all updated.

Owned, tuned, honed, modified, cleaned, tightened and still broke...QC and tolerances are terrible, never again...Rough guns...

this is my experience with hatsan. i think its a real lottery on whether you have a good experience or not, and some people have good luck with a few.

the gas rams i had came empty, or eventually lost power in a couple months.

the spring guns i had, one trigger just stopped engaging, and one trigger would fire when i shut the action.

i spent more on hatsans than buying a single weihrauch, and i shouldve just saved for the weihrauch.

The Hatsan 135 QE Vortex is the only one made in .30 caliber. That I know of. I not sure but I don’t think the Webley Patriot 135 made in Great Britain then for a while in Turkey under the Hatsan brand ever made it in .30 caliber. Does anyone know this for sure?

The new 135 isn’t a spring gun either. It’s a Vortex. (Gas ram). It can be changed easily to a spring though. I’m looking at a spring mod for mine now. It’s a spring in a spring. Supposed to really jump the power. I would get the 135 .30 caliber first and that would be the one I’d modify. I wouldn’t do my .22 or .25. The gun surely is robust enough to handle more power. The only concern I have is if the stock will hold up. I think the weight of the .30 will really tone back the behavior enough not to eat the stock. 

Getting that big 45-55 grain .30 caliber slug up to 700-800 FPS would be awesome! The other issue for me is how stupid the price is for the .30 pellets. Around 10 cents a pellet. That’s just a rip-off. More made all the time so will probably eventually come down. Wouldn’t shoot it all the time anyway. 

These Hatsan 135’s are really a blast. They are very large rifles but not as heavy as they look. My Weihrauch HW 97 feels much heavier to me. 

If and when I build up this .30 caliber super-mag, I’ll keep y’all updated.

.30 caliber is a Hatsan thing. The true UK Patriots never came in the caliber. Hatsan brought it out a few years ago bragging they made the biggest caliber break barrel on the market but no one else tried to follow suit. There's also a synthetic version they call the 130S. I think it's just a synthetic stocked version of the 135 and the one I'd worry more about the stock breaking, but I don't honestly know if the backorder status means they're just waiting for more or if PA just hasn't taken it off their website: https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hatsan-mod-130s-vortex-qe-breakbarrel-air-rifle?m=4586#8964

I believe they originally came as a spring version since the Patriot was a springer, never a gas ram. Then of course Hatsan started using gas rams and the spring versions of a lot of their guns started disappearing or, at the very least, became harder to find. Might be spring version parts out there somewhere. The conversion to spring just takes a slightly different end cap, a spring guide and of course the spring.

QA/QC was always an on again/off again issue and then as already mentioned earlier on in this thread, Hatsan went hardcore to the PCP market and while they occasionally came out with a new springer/gas ram, a lot of them never made it to retailers in the US and are only sold in Europe. I have always freely admitted I got lucky and none of mine had issues. The only ones that did, the issues were caused BY ME and tinkering...lol. Like any other rifle out there, they can be tuned and made better but NO, they will never compare to HW, Diana, Air Arms and the like, some of which I also own with a few HW/Beeman and Diana rifles in the collection.

There is a duel spring (spring in a spring, one right twist and one left) made in Poland that they claim will take the 135 in .25 caliber from 750 FPS to 1300 FPS. That would put the .30 caliber around maybe even over 1000 FPS. Comes with a hardened steel spring guide. Claims to not cause a significant increase in cocking effort. I think the 135 with the Vortex is quite easy to cock anyway. Sounds tempting. Also to good to be true. I would definitely use the wood stock. Hatsan’s QC has declined with every rifle I have bought. Nearly a dozen over the past 6 or 8 years. Like you I have been very fortunate to get all good ones. Made them better by gutting and tuning. I really like them and like you own Weihrauch, Diana, Daystate, Airforce and more. These Hatsan’s aren’t those! They never will be. But they’re solid, accurate, nice looking, hard hitting, entry level guns. I like tinkering on them for friends and family who might just get the bug.

If anyone has ever tried this spring in a spring concept, please share your experience.

One of my favorite air rifle ever. The Hatsan 135 QE Vortex. I have one in .22 and one in .25 caliber. Webley once made this beast in Great Britain but they gave it up and it went to Turkey under Hatsan. Fully adjustable Turkish Walnut stock, the trigger is every bit as good as the German Record (multi-lever) trigger once the trigger adjustment screws are lengthened about a 1/16 of an inch. Accurate! Powerful! Gorgeous! Under $300!! If Webley still made it granted the metal work would not be comparable (however these two were purchased early when they first released them and they are pretty well done. I think they have slid a bit lately) but the stock would be Beech and the price would be closer to $1500.

If I get any new Hatsan’s and do not like the metal work (polishing and bluing) I’ll finish polish and blue the receiver. Been wanting to do one anyway. Looking at that big 135 .30 caliber.

These are great learning and project guns! Nothing out there better with as much potential.
CEFB545C-FBD0-40CF-BA87-5EDEE35EB311.1640047507.jpeg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

Hello, would you mind sharing what scope that is you have on the 135? I like the looks and size.

It’s a really inexpensive Sniper brand compact scope. I have bought dozens for myself, family and friends. 4x32 or 6x32 AO Mil Dot, Lit Reticle in red and green. Flip up caps for both ends. Rings and 2 batteries. Never had one 
4F373A75-9E09-429D-865E-04177C19FB18.1640291141.jpeg
C7322EAA-A470-42E3-90DF-3E7348D57F0E.1640291190.jpeg
B1C424BA-3AD9-4A76-B0F1-80CDAF9DAA1F.1640291223.jpeg
fail. Not even on this giant 135. Beeman R1’s you name it. Getting hard to find now. Bought all mine on EBay. As little as $20. Most $30. Free shipping! The mount is a UTG offset. Either dovetail or weaver. I bought extras just to put away.