• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

No Hatsan Love around here ?

Timely thread, I almost pulled the trigger on a walnut stock springer Hatsan 95 this morning. Thought to myself, how bad can they be? They have been making the 95 for a number of years now and should have it figured out . But after reading this thread I will just order HW 50S frome Krale's.

The $150 " savings" doesn't seem worth the roll of the dice. To each their own.

I wouldn't take a Hatsan if you gave me one. I tried 2 different Hatsan springers, even sent one to a "tuner".(waste of time and $$) If you're a tinkerer that wants something to work on, Hatsan is for you. I gave one away, the other is in about 30' of water @ a local lake. Over sprung, twisty, torquey, smoke like an old tractor for + a tin of pellets, 6 lb trigger pull that you lift up on, not pull back. That's my Hatsan experience. 

I have a few Hatsans. They were the only brand who really put out a selection of .25 cal springers and I wanted to learn about .25 cal springers. You could say the novelty influenced me.

Hatsans can be nice guns and are better after tuning. A Hatsan 95 can be a nice gun. The walnut stocks can be very nice after refinishing.

Even high end guns can need some work on them when you get them new. My Hw97kt was very boingy and needed powerplant tuning. The rail sled system on my Diana56 just didn't work well and I'm still trying to figure out a good solution for it.

Our lack of talking about any specific manufacturers has little to do with what we actually think about their products. Rather, our discussions are about whatever we are doing at the time with whatever particular guns we have in our collections.

Put a lighter scope on the 56 or 54 like a Leupold EFR.

LOL, I guess I was right when I chose the words for my thread title, funny thing is with the exception of one slightly "high end" air rifle that I own (a great shooter and fine looking rifle) my last three purchases were low end offerings, all of them had more negative reviews than positive reviews, the first "low end" rifle I bought was a close out deal on an air rifle made by Umarex for Walmart, the original price was $179.00, the limited sale price at MidwayUSA was $99.00, I read the reviews and bought it anyway, it had a great looking finely finished wood stock, and I'm a sucker for nice looking wood stocks.

Long story short the gun had a lousy trigger and a junk bundled scope, Half an hours work and a new sear spring fixed the trigger and a UTG Bug Buster scope fixed the optic problem, that little "POS" turned out to be a sweet looking, super accurate, smooth shooting rifle, my next super deal also had some nasty reviews and like the first had a nicely finished wood stock and blued finish, also had the same junk scope but the trigger isn't at all bad, that bad boy will also stack pellets at 30 yds., and that high end rifle I mentioned in the beginning came through simply beautiful, it would have been perfect if it had had a decent trigger, it cost me $10.00 dollars and five minutes to make it perfect.

So far I've had excellent luck with my "low end" air rifle purchases, I suppose my luck will run out in time, at least a glitch, But for now I'm having a great time buying the "black sheep" of the air gun world and wringing out their hidden potential, so why this thread, well sometime today UPS is going to drop off a new Hatsan mod. 95 .22cal. springer (another $100.00 on sale special) and I'm hoping my luck holds out again.

Actually I'm not as frugal as I might sound, I can afford higher priced air guns, but I just love an under dog, and so far as bad as some people talk about poor quality cheap air guns made anywhere but in Germany or the UK, I haven't experienced a bad one yet, all my guns have nice traditional wooden stocks, excellent bluing of the metal parts, very little in the way of tooling marks or blemishes, all have been reliable, accurate, and shoot respectably close to as advertised as far as velocity goes, like I said, maybe I'm just blessed, but I've a feeling that allot of the negativity I'm hearing (I could be wrong, I have been a time or three in the past) is more about a little bit of elitism than it is about poor quality low end air guns.

What say you ?

Reactions: billketsugo
Mine are all older and until I took a chance and bought one of their new AirTact break barrels, my newest was a 2015 build. Somewhere not long after that, Hatsan dove heavily into the PCP market and it seemed to pretty much coincide with the slip in QA of their spring and gas ram guns. You could still get a good one, but your chances were pretty much 50/50 and face it, shooters are way more likely to come on a gun forum and complain about a bad gun they got than they are to come on and give glowing reports of a good one they got...lol. I've owned or still do something like 20 Hatsans and Turkish built Webleys and the only ones that ever had issues were because I caused them tinkering. They actually shot fine and had none until I started playing.

Then again, buying anything seems to be 50/50 anymore since I also see fairly regular posts across a number of forums from shooters who paid a bit more for whatever higher quality gun they got only to have issues. HW's either bone dry or over lubed, gouged piston seals, metal shavings in the comp tubes. Air Arms barrels for awhile had what at first look was thought to be rust and although I think it turned out to be nothing more than rust protectant inside them, it was caked on so badly you needed JB Bore polish and a brass brush to get it out. Diana's with trigger issues, safety issues, a bad N-Tec ram although those are kind of rare among other problems new owners found.

I get slapped around and fairly often for what I'm about to type and will anyway (been married twice, used to being abused...lol). I'm the oddball that thinks if I'm paying that kind of money for a new higher end rifle, it better not have any problems new out of the box. I'm also the oddball that sits reading how all these new high end gun owners say they either trotted it off to a tuner or tuned it themselves because "they just shoot so much smoother and sweeter with a good tune". Ummmmm...so do a good lot of less expensive guns so basically the gun you just paid double or better for than the one I got is actually not much different than mine...lol.

For the record, I own 5 Germans: an HW, 2 Beemans and 2 Diana 34's. Only one is tuned, the rest are bone stock, never touched. The only reason the one is tuned is because it came that way and to be honest, I would have rather had it factory stock and made up my own mind about whether it got tuned or not.

Seems that some enjoy working on airguns as much as shooting them, I do not.

Seems some like to own 15-25 cheaper airguns, I would rather own a few airguns that meet my expectations, neither way is wrong.

I spent a lot of money on cheaper airguns, and none lived up to my expectaions. YMMV

And some have both the "cheaper" airguns as well as those that "meet our expectations". It would seem that some have the ability and desire to make the "cheaper" airguns function up to their potential while others do not. Some of those "cheaper" airguns need very little to function extremely well and others are possibly borderline for ever functioning well. But as you do correctly note-"neither way is wrong".

Seems that some enjoy working on airguns as much as shooting them, I do not.

Seems some like to own 15-25 cheaper airguns, I would rather own a few airguns that meet my expectations, neither way is wrong.

I spent a lot of money on cheaper airguns, and none lived up to my expectaions. YMMV

And some have both the "cheaper" airguns as well as those that "meet our expectations". It would seem that some have the ability and desire to make the "cheaper" airguns function up to their potential while others do not. Some of those "cheaper" airguns need very little to function extremely well and others are possibly borderline for ever functioning well. But as you do correctly note-"neither way is wrong".

I agree to all, except I said MY expectations not our.

For some the cheaper aiguns 100% meet their expectations.

I can agree that much of it has to do with expectations, mostly I'm a recreational shooter, especially when it comes to air rifles, I shoot in my back yard most of the time, for rimfire and centerfire shooting I belong to a couple of clubs that have handgun and rifle ranges, but with the cost and shortages of conventional ammo these days it not worth the ride.

My range is capable of shooting 40 yds., I'm not looking to stack one pellet on top of another, I shoot from a rest and as long as I can consistently get minute of squirrel accuracy at 25~40 yds. I'm a happy air gunner, now my son (we shoot together more often than not) his expectations are different, he's constantly striving for better groups at longer ranges,

I'm shooting an old Sheridan pumper and four break barrel rifles, all have traditional wooden stocks and blued barreled actions, all have needed a little work to make them easier to shoot and in doing so improved their accuracy, my son also has a few break barrel rifles that shoot well, but his favorite is his PCP .22 cal. tuned rifle, that one is capable of putting all it's shots into a ragged 3/8" hole at 40 yds. and into 3/4" at a 100 yds., he has to get inventive in order to keep some challenge in it so he doesn't get bored, me on the other hand the challenge to do better is ever present, it's inherent in my common man guns 😉.

My expectations are being well met.

I have zero experience with their Springers. I have a Hatsan AT-44 PCP and I LOVE it! For me it represented an amazing value at the time (on sale for $250). I clean it once in a while (about every 1000 shots) and put a little silicon grease on the cylinder o-ring (I got 2 air cylinders and swap them out on a regular basis). A bit of silicon oil on the lever and probe and it's good for another 1000 shots. My only issue was I tore a fill probe o-ring and had to replace it. If they make the Springers as good as this PCP they should be winners. I never really had much luck shooting Springers (not the guns fault- just the guy pulling the trigger not being able to hold the gun steady).

I suspect that allot of the negative comments about different air guns and their attendant issues are the same as I've heard at different ranges at different times by different people over the years, whether it's on the archery range, pistol range, Muzzle loading range, and now with air rifles, seems strange that it's always the same people having the same issues, makes a body wonder why one man's POS rifle is another man's treasure, I haven't had all that much experience with air guns, but of the half dozen mid priced and low end air guns that I've purchased I haven't been disappointed with one of them yet, and those folks that I know that are constantly griping about their choices are the one having all the trouble and getting all the bad guns, they must have been born under an errant star or something.

Theres bias for airguns just like everything else. Fords better than Chevy etc. Every low or medium priced airgun I've purchased has preformed well. And after going through them even better. 

People are funny. You always hear about the bad experiences. But there are many more good you never hear.

As I've always said. On most forums if it's not German or European its considered garbage.