• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

No good scope for Air Rifle Big Game Hunting

To set the stage, I'm comfortable shooting firearms with a maximum zoom of 4-6 at 25-1000 yards. If anyone has any suggestions for a scope after reading my full description, please let me know if you have found something that works for you, big game hunting with an air rifle with dim lighting conditions.

After looking through hundreds of scopes online, it has occurred to me that there is nothing that is really good for a big bore air rifle, for hunting big game. What I need is:
-$350-$600 scope.
-Excellent glass for clarity and dusk/dawn visibility.
-A top end zoom of 6x power (and preferably fixed 4x or fixed 6x)
-Parallax adjustment down to 50 yards or less.
-A tube and turrets with enough vertical adjustment to get an air rifle shot up to aim point at 100 yards
-A reticle that has elevation graduations that are evenly spread, not too cluttered, not to thin to see at a zoom level suitable for deer that will actually be visible against dark fur at dawn/dusk, and is glass etched.

I love the Leupold FX3 6x42 as it is so clear with amazing glass, gathers light amazingly, holds zero, and is the perfect magnification for 25-500 yards. It has been dead nuts reliable on my .416 Remington. Unfortunately they don't offer it in a mildot, it doesn't have parallax adjustment, and it might run out of vertical adjustment at 100 yards. (I thought about their custom shop but the custom shop is closed until further notice.)

The problem I am finding is that almost all scopes, that have a suitable holdover marks are missing the following:
-Everything is right about the scope except the glass and it is too cheap.
-Everything is right about the scope, but there is no parallax adjustment.
-The reticle works, but the top end of the zoom is too high for big game hunting(14x) and lower power zoom shrinks the reticle to where it is no longer visible at dawn/dusk against a dark background. (such as my current scope)
-The reticle is lit, but it is too cluttered. Or, the reticle is lit, but the holdovers are not and the holdovers are too fine to see in dim light.
-The scope has all the options I want, but it is a $1000+ scope.
-The tube and turrets don't look like they will have enough adjustment to bring the 800fps bullet up to point of aim at 100 yards.
-The scope has everything I need. The reticle can be seen at full power with a zoom that isn't too high. But the reticle holdover is a ballistic holdover where the marks vary in spacing for projectiles much faster than my 800fps.

Most good big game hunting scopes are meant for a projectile that has a velocity of at least 2000fps. Most air rifle scopes have reticles and zooms that are meant for small game hunting where you don't need a big field of view at 25-100 yards

I did buy a good scope, just to get the gun running. It's a Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44 with the EBR-2C reticle. It has good (not great) glass, is reliable, has parallax adjustment down to 20 yards. It has a 30mm tube with enough adjustment for an airgun. It is perfect for this rifle for target shooting or small game hunting. The reticle is great at full zoom and I usually prefer 1st focal plane, but that zoom level is to much to be usable on big game at close range. This is where the problem comes in with this scope. If I turn the zoom down, the center crosshairs become too thin to see and use against a dark background, such as a deer at dusk. This scope would be great for target or small game hunting, but It may become unusable big game hunting.

If you are of similar mindset as me and think most scopes nowadays have way more zoom than they need and find the value in the simplicity of a fixed power scope, please let me know if you have found a good hunting scope for your big game air rifle, even if it is variable zoom. I was looking hard at the Viper PST 1-4x24 w/MOA reticle, as I think this would work pretty well for big game and range time, but it doesn't have parallax adjustment and the good glass could get pretty dim at dusk because it is a straight tube that won't gather much light.

I ran some ballistics charts for muzzle loaders, 22lr, and shotgun, just to see if a scope designed for those would work for the holdovers, but all have a much flatter trajectory than an 800fps flat nose projectile. I wish I could get with a few of the big scope makers to design a big game air rifle specific hunting scope, with good glass. Really all it would take is some reticle re-design on already existing scope platforms.

The "more zoom than you need" phenomenon is just an American thing. People think "bigger is better" for everything: homes, cars, bullet calibres, scope zoom ranges. The often mindless fascination with big numbers can make a market irrational.

That said, I think there are plenty of scopes that fit your needs if you get a bit more flexible on your budget. People that sell stuff also are fascinated with big numbers. :)

Reactions: SteveV
I would just go with a Leupold 175079 and call it a day. Just because it goes up to 12x doesn't mean you have to set it there and there's really nothing wrong with SFP either. Just need to know what zoom you're at and apply some very basic math. It has 80moa of elevation built it so paired with a set of Burris XTR rings you'll be good to go.

I think your on to something with the 2nd focal plane for an air rifle. Then the reticle thickness doesn't change and I could set it at 6x and get 2MOA between hatch marks

As far as Americans go, there is the new crowd and the older experienced crowd. The new crowd thinks more magnification and energy mean everything. They even judge the deadliness of an arrow with energy, which makes no sense at all. Energy only come to play on high velocity (2000fps +) and small game where you want to tear things up or explode them. Now I love my .416 remington, but is has nothing to do with foot pounds. I can get excellent penetation, excellent accuracy, the trajectory of a 308, and can take any game from squirrel to cape buffalo, with one load, one rifle, one scope, and not a lot of meat damage. I love the .416.

There is a valid reason to have bigger on some things, say a truck. My 1/2ton truck was squatting bad when putting a pile of dirt in the back, but my 1 ton handles everything I throw at it without breaking a sweat and still gets the same fuel efficiency as a 1/2 ton. Some Americans don't want a bigger house, they want more land. In America, you'll find some of the most hillbilly people are the ones with the most common sense and the ones that city people think sound dumb with a country accent are actually smarter. In America, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

With air rifles and arrows, it should be all about the momentum/penetration and shape of the projectile. I also can't find an ideal hunting bullet for my air rifle on big game. Everyone is after hollow points, small flat points/round nose, and spitzers. What you really need, for big game hunting, with a low velocity fat slug, is momentum and a very wide flat point that holds it's shape when hitting an animal. There is a reason pistol rounds for hunting the biggest game have an extremely wide meplat and are heavy for caliber. This gives the best penetration and still creates a good wound channel with cavitation. I'll be ordering a mold that casts 45 caliber 350gn bullets with a meplat of at least .40 caliber wide and will probably end up ordering a 400gn mold with the same shape. I bet I'll get complete pass throughs 90% of the time with this style of bullet quenched in water, and perfect broadside shots will not be needed to penetrate the animal.

Sorry. I was getting off the optics subject there. That Leupold freedom does look promising.

One scope that comes to mind that might work for you is the Athlon Helos BTR 1-4.5x.
Because its only 4.5x the glass appears better than you'd think it should for the money.

Personally I like the Athlon Helos G2 DMR 2-12x42 the most in a MPVO for a number of reasons. Its not very far behind my March 1-10 DFP compact in most ways.

One scope that comes to mind that might work for you is the Athlon Helos BTR 1-4.5x.
Because its only 4.5x the glass appears better than you'd think it should for the money.

Personally I like the Athlon Helos G2 DMR 2-12x42 the most in a MPVO for a number of reasons. Its not very far behind my March 1-10 DFP compact in most ways.
That Helos BTR would make a great low powered springer optic. I'm thinking I may need one for either my 30S or 50S

Reactions: steve123
Get a scope equal to the price of your Crown as a rule of thumb, get German, Japaneses Australian, Swiss
Trijicon, Striker, Zeiss go 5-50 power and take out flea's ass at 200 meters
Save your money and don't regret getting a cheap low power scope
Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 4.33.29 PM.jpg

Reactions: 357cal and tibor
To set the stage, I'm comfortable shooting firearms with a maximum zoom of 4-6 at 25-1000 yards. If anyone has any suggestions for a scope after reading my full description, please let me know if you have found something that works for you, big game hunting with an air rifle with dim lighting conditions.

After looking through hundreds of scopes online, it has occurred to me that there is nothing that is really good for a big bore air rifle, for hunting big game. What I need is:
-$350-$600 scope.
-Excellent glass for clarity and dusk/dawn visibility.
-A top end zoom of 6x power (and preferably fixed 4x or fixed 6x)
-Parallax adjustment down to 50 yards or less.
-A tube and turrets with enough vertical adjustment to get an air rifle shot up to aim point at 100 yards
-A reticle that has elevation graduations that are evenly spread, not too cluttered, not to thin to see at a zoom level suitable for deer that will actually be visible against dark fur at dawn/dusk, and is glass etched.

I love the Leupold FX3 6x42 as it is so clear with amazing glass, gathers light amazingly, holds zero, and is the perfect magnification for 25-500 yards. It has been dead nuts reliable on my .416 Remington. Unfortunately they don't offer it in a mildot, it doesn't have parallax adjustment, and it might run out of vertical adjustment at 100 yards. (I thought about their custom shop but the custom shop is closed until further notice.)

The problem I am finding is that almost all scopes, that have a suitable holdover marks are missing the following:
-Everything is right about the scope except the glass and it is too cheap.
-Everything is right about the scope, but there is no parallax adjustment.
-The reticle works, but the top end of the zoom is too high for big game hunting(14x) and lower power zoom shrinks the reticle to where it is no longer visible at dawn/dusk against a dark background. (such as my current scope)
-The reticle is lit, but it is too cluttered. Or, the reticle is lit, but the holdovers are not and the holdovers are too fine to see in dim light.
-The scope has all the options I want, but it is a $1000+ scope.
-The tube and turrets don't look like they will have enough adjustment to bring the 800fps bullet up to point of aim at 100 yards.
-The scope has everything I need. The reticle can be seen at full power with a zoom that isn't too high. But the reticle holdover is a ballistic holdover where the marks vary in spacing for projectiles much faster than my 800fps.

Most good big game hunting scopes are meant for a projectile that has a velocity of at least 2000fps. Most air rifle scopes have reticles and zooms that are meant for small game hunting where you don't need a big field of view at 25-100 yards

I did buy a good scope, just to get the gun running. It's a Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44 with the EBR-2C reticle. It has good (not great) glass, is reliable, has parallax adjustment down to 20 yards. It has a 30mm tube with enough adjustment for an airgun. It is perfect for this rifle for target shooting or small game hunting. The reticle is great at full zoom and I usually prefer 1st focal plane, but that zoom level is to much to be usable on big game at close range. This is where the problem comes in with this scope. If I turn the zoom down, the center crosshairs become too thin to see and use against a dark background, such as a deer at dusk. This scope would be great for target or small game hunting, but It may become unusable big game hunting.

If you are of similar mindset as me and think most scopes nowadays have way more zoom than they need and find the value in the simplicity of a fixed power scope, please let me know if you have found a good hunting scope for your big game air rifle, even if it is variable zoom. I was looking hard at the Viper PST 1-4x24 w/MOA reticle, as I think this would work pretty well for big game and range time, but it doesn't have parallax adjustment and the good glass could get pretty dim at dusk because it is a straight tube that won't gather much light.

I ran some ballistics charts for muzzle loaders, 22lr, and shotgun, just to see if a scope designed for those would work for the holdovers, but all have a much flatter trajectory than an 800fps flat nose projectile. I wish I could get with a few of the big scope makers to design a big game air rifle specific hunting scope, with good glass. Really all it would take is some reticle re-design on already existing scope platforms.
How about just raising the rear of your scope with adjustable Ring’s?

I have a lot of those old scopes, they were good when I got them and are still good today.
Most are made in the USA,,Oh Yea,...I buy 80% of my scopes used and know what to look for.
And so do many others, one can tell because the prices stay the same no matter how old the scope is....
Another thing about the older scopes is they weigh a lot less than Chinese scopes.
Shooting 1000 yards with a 6x scope, why , :ROFLMAO:whales aren't land animals:rolleyes:

Reactions: Goldwing
You'd be amazed at what the human eye can align. Once you get use to lower zoom, it does not feel like a hindrance at all. The hinderance is the reticle design, how that reticle fits with your target, and glass clarity. With a 4 power scope I can shoot 1/4MOA or better at 100 yards with tuned powder burners. I have also shot a man sized target at 1000 yards with a 1-4 power viper pst on my 416 remington. The scope didn't last long before breaking (with the elevation about maxed out and the recoil of the 416), but I got a few splashes on that steel before the scope broke. My buddy also used the identical 4 power scope on his .556 to consistently hit a man sized target at 1000 yards. If your reticle works well with your target, zoom doesn't help much. Now if you want to see fine detail at 500-1000 yards, then yes zoom helps, but I still think glass helps more for detail. With a 45 cal airgun, I'm not trying to shoot acorns at 1000 yards, I'm trying to shoot acorns at 100 yards. So 4 power is plenty for the most precise aiming at 100 yards. If I want to shoot pinecones at 500 yards, then I prefer a 14 power scope, but if it was coyote or bigger, a 4-6 power is plenty at 500 yards. With really good glass, you can still make out the parts of a fly at 100 yards.

Goldwing, I'm not going to judge your shooting on those targets because your using an air rifle, but if that is to prove how 50x helps so much with accuracy, that is a poor example, especially at only 35 yards. I can put 3 shot into the those center black dots, at 100 yards with a 6 power scope on a powder burner when I'm in my zone. 50x is WAY too much for 35 yards unless I were trying to shoot just the head off a fly or plug a flee's asshole. I'm fine splattering the whole fly. If 50x is what works for you and gets you in your zone, then stick with it. I just find more zoom to be more hindrance than helpful.

I completely forgot about the leupold 1-5. That has been a great scope for many decades on all sorts of hunting rifles including dangerous game rifles. I owned one for a short period but never got to use it near dark. I did already switch to the leupold VX-freedom 4-12x40 Tri-MOA. For starting out, to see what bullets the rifle likes to shoot, I think this will work. I almost always prefer 1st focal plain, but air rifles seem to be a different story. I think I like the 2nd focal plain on this air rifle because I can tune the reticle drop for any different bullet by adjusting the zoom. So far I discovered, shooting musket balls, zeroed at 50 yards, that I can set it at roughly 6 power to have it hitting perfect at 100 yards with the -5th MOA mark. The glass is good enough. The reticle is good enough (way more usable than that diamondback 4-16 I first purchased). The adjustments feel cheap and I don't have any confidence in it's accurate dialing ability too far from center. But, just because a scope can't dial well doesn't mean it can't hold it's zero once set and then set again by recoil after shooting a few rounds. I almost got a viper PST 1-6x24 as it felt a bit better made. But, I am worried about the weight of the scope. Weight matters when you start having the recoil of a powder burner and are trying to keep a scope from sliding on an 11mm dovetail where there is no mechanical key to stop it from sliding and pressure/friction is the only thing holding your scope in place. I don't know why they would ever design a big bore with an 11mm dovetail, but that's what I've got. I'll probably drill the dovetail for a peg in front of the base, to ensure no sliding of the base.

That SWFA looks really good and is probably the best one I've seen so far to meet the criteria I listed. What would you say the clarity and light transmission of the glass is comparable to? I will give my current VX-freedom a fair chance, but I know I'll be upgrading from it within a year, and just because that SWFA is going for around $300 doesn't mean its any less a scope. It could be a lot better and It's got a fantastic reticle.

I did look at Trijicon. I've owned accupoints in the past and have really liked them. They have gone way up in price since when I was getting them for $500-$600. I think some of you already know where this is heading in that I'll probably end up purchasing a $1000 scope. But... only if this air rifle turns out to be capable of the accuracy deserving of a $1000 scope.

I prefer non adjustable rings as I try to get all my components between the scope and rifle as solid and as stress relieved as possible, while eliminating any torque or bending stress on the scope tube. It is possible that one day I'll eat my words on that. I would however buy a 1-piece machined base/rings with slant/MOA built into the base. I just haven't seen a quality one yet.

For the Chinese scopes, I just can't bring my self to buy them as they are America's number 1 enemy, and being a vet, that doesn't sit well with me. I know most American brands outsource components to china, but at least the company as a whole is still American. I'm ok with made in Japan, Phillipines, Europe, even Mexico. Just not Chinese. The only thing they built to last that they didn't steel the technology from is the China Virus.

Thank you all for your suggestions. If I don't post a lot, it's because I don't have much internet access right now thanks to Biden's self made inflation crisis.