• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

"No airguns allowed here"

Ever been to a shooting range that didn't allow your air gun?

I went to a new range yesterday since my local club is closed on holidays. Went in, asked a few questions, filled out the waiver, paid the cashier.

Then I dropped the question... " Figured I should mention this since some places get a little weird about it... I'm shooting air guns is that ok?". Got an odd look, she paused for a sec, then her gut instinct seemed to kick in and she said "Oh, we don't allow airguns here.". I politely asked why not and she didn't really know, so she offered to call the owner and ask. A couple minutes later she came back with an OK.

Worked out great in this case. Brought my rattler 357 and challenger elite 51. Fun stuff, was banging steel consistently on their 100-150yd targets. Guys out there with their ARs and hunting rifles turning their heads and wondering what the heck I'm shooting 😁.

Another situation where it has been a little weird... my local club has a 300yd range. Never had any issue with airguns on 100yd benchrest but I asked about trying the 300 and I got the response "oh we don't allow AiRgUnS on the 300." I likely just need to talk with someone higher up the chain.

I went to a new range yesterday since my local club is closed on holidays. Went in, asked a few questions, filled out the waiver, paid the cashier.

Then I dropped the question... " Figured I should mention this since some places get a little weird about it... I'm shooting air guns is that ok?". Got an odd look, she paused for a sec, then her gut instinct seemed to kick in and she said "Oh, we don't allow airguns here.". I politely asked why not and she didn't really know, so she offered to call the owner and ask. A couple minutes later she came back with an OK.

Worked out great in this case. Brought my rattler 357 and challenger elite 51. Fun stuff, was banging steel consistently on their 100-150yd targets. Guys out there with their ARs and hunting rifles turning their heads and wondering what the heck I'm shooting 😁.

Another situation where it has been a little weird... my local club has a 300yd range. Never had any issue with airguns on 100yd benchrest but I asked about trying the 300 and I got the response "oh we don't allow AiRgUnS on the 300." I likely just need to talk with someone higher up the chain.
Invite who ever the decision maker is to come shoot your rifles. Odds are they will be hooked.

About a mile from me is a excellent shooting and skeet range.

Excellent facilities, wind free range, running targets, pop up targets.

I visited to watch competition and practice days, eventually asking the owner, could I shoot PCP on the range?
A definite no.
No toys allowed here.

Some people still live in the past.

I am not shooting big bore pcp stuff, but part of the fun of airguns is not having to go to a range. I tried it with archery for a bit. Most of my local clubs are guys with new tech style compounds. I walk in with a recurve, or longbow and draw a crowd of 4-5 guys asking a million questions. I imagine airguns of real capability would be the same way. Not my thing. I just wanna shoot, enjoy a peaceful afternoon and go home.

Not passing judgement over whether the “no airgun” policies are wrong or right for any given range, but my local suffers from people with zero understanding of ballistics and trajectory. The smaller the caliber, the more flippant and dangerous the behavior. Our 600yd has a minimum target distance of 200 yards, and I’ve witnessed people shooting steel poppers at 10yds. I’ve witnessed folks assuming their 100 yard zero would be the same at 600. I’ve witnessed someone shooting an AR-15 around 45 degrees in the air because they weren’t hitting their target and thought it was dropping that much. They don’t seem to understand that the large caliber rating of the range is only valid if you are not mortaring your projectiles over the giant hillside. Maybe if you demonstrate proper knowledge and regard for safety, you’ll get permission.

A lot of indoor ranges don’t allow airguns because they often ricochet off the backstop or off of something in the backstop.

They have a business to worry about, insurance, damages, fraud, etc. We live in a litigious society.
Tell us you have never been to a rifle range without telling us. If you would see half of the fuds throwing elad down range missing targets, clipping hangers, hitting target posts, shooting wrong targets, etc etc etc. There are PLENTY of fire arms shooters that are dumber than a box of crayons, and can't hit sh#t with anything.

People hear "airguns" and think bb guns. Go to the range with your guns and ask to show them. Be polite and offer to let them shoot the rifles. A lead pellet or slug is going to do FAR less damage than a 223 steel core or a 338 lapua magnum. Sorry but some people are just stupid and need to be shown a different way.

I am not shooting big bore pcp stuff, but part of the fun of airguns is not having to go to a range. I tried it with archery for a bit. Most of my local clubs are guys with new tech style compounds. I walk in with a recurve, or longbow and draw a crowd of 4-5 guys asking a million questions. I imagine airguns of real capability would be the same way. Not my thing. I just wanna shoot, enjoy a peaceful afternoon and go home.
I'm right there with ya. One of the big pros for me getting into airguns was the ability to shoot on my property. Still, I have some limitations. The range is a nice place to shoot by myself and with friends... it's also 7 minutes away, 8 bucks a day, and never crowded. Pretty sweet deal overall.

Reactions: Bandito
I'm with Tumblinginflight on this.

Having spent quite a few years running a rifle range, I witnessed quite a bit of stupidity. (I can tell you stories...) People don't take a .22 rimfire seriously. Much less a "BB gun".

Few shooters have even a basic understanding of exterior ballistics. They just like to make the bang(!) and the feeling of power that it gives them. Very few aspire to actually suck less at it. How many of us have ever taken a class? Not very many, I'll wager.

That said, the average range officer isn't all that bright either...

Cheers,

J~

Last edited:
I'm with Tumblinginflight on this.

Having spent quite a few years running a rifle range, I witnessed quite a bit of stupidity. (I can tell you stories...) People don't take a .22 rimfire seriously. Much less a "BB gun".

Few shooters have even a basic understanding of exterior ballistics. They just like to make the bang(!) and the feeling of power that it gives them. Very few aspire to actually suck less at it. How many of us have ever taken a class? Not very many, I'll wager.

That said, the average range officer isn't all that bright either...

Cheers,

J~
black on black is a bit hard to read, I'm showing color setting 0,0,0

At an indoor range I could imagine one reason.

Say someone is shooting a PCP airgun and brings in a big SCBA tank. Usually those tanks are filled with non-breathable air. So if an SCBA tank were to rupture indoors, there is the potential for people to asphyxiate. . . depending on room size and ventilation.

At an indoor range I could imagine one reason.

Say someone is shooting a PCP airgun and brings in a big SCBA tank. Usually those tanks are filled with non-breathable air. So if an SCBA tank were to rupture indoors, there is the potential for people to asphyxiate. . . depending on room size and ventilation.
non-breathable does not mean poisonous ..it is the quality of the air. Scenario is ridiculous

I was turned away. They claimed it was because air lacks the penetrating power to be safe with their rubberized mulch back stops🤷🏻‍♂️

Just curious - do ranges require you buy their ammo when you shoot? I have only shot on my own property and have no experience. It sounded a little crazy but I thought I read about that somewhere for some ranges.

Maybe airgunners mess with the profitability?

There is a large bowling alley in my town which was re-purposed. That building seems perfect for an indoor range. I find myself wishing I had the wherewithal to make that happen every time i pass it.

I was turned away. They claimed it was because air lacks the penetrating power to be safe with their rubberized mulch back stops🤷🏻‍♂️
There is an indoor range where I live that you can shoot out to 100 yards in. When they first started up they would not allow air guns for the same reason. I have been told they are now allowing air guns. I haven’t been back to check on that situation. I would like to shoot there due to the lack of wind though. Days without wind here will make you wonder if the end of days is upon you.

Reactions: Bandito and BABz58
Just curious - do ranges require you buy their ammo when you shoot? I have only shot on my own property and have no experience. It sounded a little crazy but I thought I read about that somewhere for some ranges.

Maybe airgunners mess with the profitability?

There is a large bowling alley in my town which was re-purposed. That building seems perfect for an indoor range. I find myself wishing I had the wherewithal to make that happen every time i pass it.
When you rent their guns yes, have to buy their ammo. Otherwise I've never heard of that happening.

Reactions: Bandito and MrP