I used nitrogen for the whole year lease...I found it to very good..easy quick..I have filled. my FX bottle guns 187 fills and a one time fill of a new 75 cu bottle..it took it to the 3/4 mark...before my lease expired.

I my best interest I invested in the joeB regulator..thats a $500 spot..but 6000 psi ...safety first.

standard.jpg
[/url][/img]

now I have my own compressor..and able to be more mobil..was the only reason to stop using nitro.👍

Just check what a refill cost and will they deliver to your place as one poster said weight can be a major problem, those tanks weight around 300 lbs.

You can handle one by tipping it slightly and balance and roll on it's edge.

Nitrogen is the best driest air you can use. I've had it for a number of years and at the same time have a new compressor but was saving my compressor because I didn't really trust it but have weaned off the nitrogen lately using my compressor for a couple of months now.

It's so easy to use nitrogen compared to a compressor , just connect your fill whip and fill your tank.

I definitely would not fill a gun directly unless you a regulator as 6000psi comes on fast, but filling a tank can be controlled with just a fill assembly that has a guage.

Don

I started using a N26K tank last year and am very happy. As for downsides, I don’t really have any. Depending on your luck with compressors, you could argue that it could be cheaper or more expensive, depending on your situation. It is heavy, but you shouldn’t have to move it. My dealer doesn’t deliver to my residential area, but they are right down the road from my office. When I need a new one, I pull it up on my utility trailer, take it down there, and bring it back home. I do keep it on a small cart to move it around easier. 

My rental is $75 a year, and $75 to fill it. Took me just over a year to need a fill. I fill to a bottle, and then to my rifle, until the tank gets low and then I fill straight to the gun. 

I started using a N26K tank last year and am very happy. As for downsides, I don’t really have any. Depending on your luck with compressors, you could argue that it could be cheaper or more expensive, depending on your situation. It is heavy, but you shouldn’t have to move it. My dealer doesn’t deliver to my residential area, but they are right down the road from my office. When I need a new one, I pull it up on my utility trailer, take it down there, and bring it back home. I do keep it on a small cart to move it around easier. 

My rental is $75 a year, and $75 to fill it. Took me just over a year to need a fill. I fill to a bottle, and then to my rifle, until the tank gets low and then I fill straight to the gun.

Man I think that may be wise. I have moved a lot of bottles in my time. Even now as a old guy if you use a hand truck they are not bad to move. For what I have in this last compressor thats 40 fills. 

”Empty” at 3000psi really depends on the gun you are filling, but I get your point. That is still over 200 bar, and you can fill directly to the rifle until you are tired of that.

You should definitely go into it knowing that you aren’t getting every ounce out of air out of it, and that you aren’t really paying for that air either. Anyone with an air rifle should already be ready for that, I think. After all, you aren’t using half the tank in your gun or half your Great White either. You are only paying for the useable portion of the Nitro tank, but even that can go a long way, depending on your level of shooting.

We hack this over from time to time. Here is the story in a nut shell. The big advantage to nitrogen is the dry gas and the convenience of a quick tank fill. The disadvantages are first the tanks are heavy and hard to handle. Secondly the cost is a wash as compared to a compressor. Nitrogen is best for a guy that shoots a lot but NOT for someone who shoots enough to have to trade tanks often. For me it was working out that I was using two or three tanks a year and it became a real hassle for me. Because you only drain the tank to 3000 psi and use approximately half the gas in the bottle you can burn thru a 6K tank pretty quickly. So think of the tank as 3K not 6k 

I can tell you guys for a fact that the cost is every bit as much as the cost of a $3500 compressor averaged out over ten years. Trust me. If money doesn't matter and you want the best and you don't mind man handling a 350 lb tank around a couple times a year then definitely its the way to go. 

There are a bunch of threads on this subject read them and make up your own mind.

I'm also telling you that the compressors costing $1200 to $2400 are probably not the way to go. Buy the cheap YH and or go with the Alkin W31 vertical.

Now all of this is assuming that you shoot enough to justify. If you own one PCP and shoot 100 shots once a month then forget all I've said. I'm talking to the guys that shoot as often as they can and shoot a couple hundred pellets at a time. You know the hard core. Any one wanting to discuss this more can PM me or any of the other guys who have posted extensively on this subject The way to lose a lot of money is to do it wrong the first time or second or third. There are any number of people who have owner a number of different compressors. You want to be where they ended not where they started.

There are costs hidden with nitrogen. The regulars are pricy. You will need a bag wagon or some way to transport the tank more then likely. If you don't have a pickup truck pretty much forget it. I had to have a hoist set up to lift the tank into the bed of the truck. Its not a walk in the part. Just go into it with all the facts. Finally the price varies significantly from place to place. Tank rentals and costs. You can buy gas for $135 a bottle and in six months who knows. Sounds like I'm down on nitrogen. I'm not. It wasn't right for me but it might be tor you. Just get all the info.

I had a failure of a daystate compressor and was so turned off on compressors I was going to try nitrogen. I finally just bit the bullet and bought the Alkin. Who knows maybe something better will come out in a year but for right now it's FOR ME by far the best. Glad to talk to anyone interested. 

Reactions: Smok3y
Good points BB64

I never even think of some of your points. I have moved cylinders for the past 40 years. They are getting heavy. I have a truck and Dollys for oxygen cylinders. I guess I don't think of lifestyles that are different than mine. I think the biggest take away for me is how long you will exchange bottles and how often. I like you have had similar compressor woes and got fed up, and ordered a Alkin. I got lucky because of Covid I was needed extra at work and had to cash in some vacation. So I acted like the compressor was free.