• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Nitrogen Valve Fitting

For the last five or six years I have been using nitrogen. I get a large bottle from our welding supply. It usually last a year, maybe even a little longer. Well all of the tanks I got so far have had a male fitting on the tank valve. Except today, it had a female fitting. I was not around when they left it off, so when I went to use it today my regulator would not fit. As my reg end is female. So I drove 20 miles to the supply house and they gave me a fitting I had to put on my reg. The welding supply said that is how theirs will be from now on. Just wondering how is everyone else's? Also I noticed the new tank was not as heavy, still heavier than a welding oxygen bottle, but not as heavy as the other nitrogen bottles I have wrestled with. Must be some kind of high strength steel.

I got my first Nitrogen tank about 4 months ago.The valve that comes with it looks exactly like your top picture. I have an unregulated valve and gauge from Joe B. It screws into the valve that comes with the tank and has a hose with a female quick disconnect on the other end. I just attach it to my 97 cu ft tank and fill away. Like this nitrogen. Very convenient and I hear it's very dry. I shoot lots more now!!!

I just got the bill for my latest tank . I had a total of 215.00. for 6000 psi a 494 Cubic Feet. The cost of the fill was 169.00, but they added a bunch of other charges & tax. That may even include the rent for the tank. I live back in the sticks so they added 25.00 for delivery also. I think I can get it cheaper from another welding supply place I buy from.

Just doing a little more research on what is available in my area.
I guess what people are using is 'Pure Nitrogen' here designated as part #R38 And gas is non-flamable or non poisonous

Here is the weight and size of a 6000 psi bottle

General Storage. Main thing to keep the bottle secure from tipping over. 

Fitting size for nitrogen tank?

The tank I rent is a 497 cu ft tank that is filled to 6,000 psi. That's a lot of air!! Mine costs right around what Nutcracker said. One year lease of the tank, one fill, and delivery charges came to about $230. They are heavy. Over 250 lbs. It's delivered though, so I don't have to touch it. The non-regulated gauge and hose from Joe B. was $189. A regulated gauge and hose is $489 I believe.

So, for me, the complete cost to get going was the $230 for the tank, air and delivery plus the $189 gauge and hose from Joe B. for a total of $419

I WOULD NOT TRY TO FILL YOUR GUN UP RIGHT FROM THE LARGE 6000 PSI TANK WITHOUT A REGULATOR. Filling a 97 cu ft great white from the 6000 psi tank without a regulator is one thing. (I do that with no problem) But a much smaller 200 something bar tank on the gun is too risky.

I'm thinking this is going to last about a year. It's so great having a basically unlimited supply of air, and very dry air at that!!

"chasdicapua"The tank I rent is a 497 cu ft tank that is filled to 6,000 psi. That's a lot of air!! Mine costs right around what Nutcracker said. One year lease of the tank, one fill, and delivery charges came to about $230. They are heavy. Over 250 lbs. It's delivered though, so I don't have to touch it. The non-regulated gauge and hose from Joe B. was $189. A regulated gauge and hose is $489 I believe.

So, for me, the complete cost to get going was the $230 for the tank, air and delivery plus the $189 gauge and hose from Joe B. for a total of $419

I WOULD NOT TRY TO FILL YOUR GUN UP RIGHT FROM THE LARGE 6000 PSI TANK WITHOUT A REGULATOR. Filling a 97 cu ft great white from the 6000 psi tank without a regulator is one thing. (I do that with no problem) But a much smaller 200 something bar tank on the gun is too risky.

I'm thinking this is going to last about a year. It's so great having a basically unlimited supply of air, and very dry air at that!!

Then the price I am paying for my tank must be the norm. I agree I would not fill a tank or air gun from that brute 6000 psi tank W/O a regulator. Man when you turn that valve on for the first time it is a little intimating you can feel the pressure come up in the valve knob. Like you say those tanks are beast, the first few they brought me had to weigh well over 300 pound, however the last one I got was somewhat lighter must be about 275 or so. I have mine strapped in a corner of my shed, with two ratchet straps. Think safety @ all times. To be honest with you, if I had to use that pump, I probably not would not be into these PCP guns. I am old, fat , torn & worn disc & other parts. Plus just the conveniences is so nice. I also have a 4500 Great White with a regulator set. It has a quick adapter where I can use the same regulator set on my big tank & the smaller one fast. Got all of that stuff from Joe B.

I wonder if you could give me more info on your tank How tall and how big around is it? I went to the local welding supply and they thought I was crazy. Told me the only tanks that go 6 K are so huge only a business would have one installed at quite a cost? ????? I thought it looked about the size of an oxygen tank. Can you give me more info? Thanks Much. Brian Smith [email protected]

"briansmith"I wonder if you could give me more info on your tank How tall and how big around is it? I went to the local welding supply and they thought I was crazy. Told me the only tanks that go 6 K are so huge only a business would have one installed at quite a cost? ????? I thought it looked about the size of an oxygen tank. Can you give me more info? Thanks Much. Brian Smith [email protected]
6k cylinders are quite common. They are usually about 10" in diameter and 51" tall. They are very heavy, just under 300 lbs. because the wall thickness is about 1" steel. I would look for another welding supplier, or gas distributor. Try a search for Praxair, Air Products, or Matheson, they are some of the major gas suppliers.

The big 494 CF one like I have is about 9" in diameter and 56" tall. About the same size as a big oxygen tank for a torch outfit, but a lot heavier. You should tell them of course you are crazy, you belong to a hobby that people pay a couple grand for a rifle & then months tweaking it to their perfection. Not counting all the other stuff that go along with it. Have you checked out 
http://www.airtanksforsale.com/ ? Joe can set you up with a regulator & accessories. I love mine, but it may not be for everyone, you need a safe place to keep it out of the reach of children etc. I keep mine in my shed, but a friend of mine keeps his in his house. I would not think that a good idea.

Brian,
I only know 2 TN shooters with large nitrogen, in the "Nashville" area you , used to, be able to get 6,000psi but no longer. Currently 4,000psi tanks ( which "I" couldn't find listed so maybe it's a 6,000spi tank with 4,000psi fills for liability? ). A fellow GOB shooter I spoke to a couple of moth's ago said he now get's his in KY , about $200 per year for fill and rental and he goes there to pick the tank up and they don't ask any question about anything. He fill a CF tank directly from the large tank with no reg and no problem. I could send him an email if you might want a Southern KY source. 
There may well be a place obit of Cookville ( wrong direction for you ?) for roughly $200 per year + the gas cost & will rent & deliver ( distance ?) a fill being $60.00- ? - if you need a refill during a year. Need to fill out a credit check thing with that company.

John

Thanks John
I was at Sexton welding and supply. The two older chaps inside told me all that big story. When I was leaving the driver was coming in and I said no oxygen size nitrogen tanks I guess? he said yes we have them sitting out there. Hmmm. I was as confused as the guys inside. I printed out some of the info and I plan to go back and tell them I think we misunderstood each other and see where that goes. Thanks for the info. I have the CF tank coming Monday. I was wondering if I could just take it there and get it filled instead of the air at the dive shop. They are just so uninformed it seems. Plan to get to the GOB May 14th. Will you be there? Brian

Not sure about that. I once asked my supplier to take my CF tank & fill it up, so I would have that much more air ( I am turning into a air hog) . He said it would take several weeks to get it filled, I was shocked. He said that they do not fill those big nitrogen tank he brings me, they get them filled at a different location almost 100 miles away. So he could send my CF tank back with some of their other tanks but it would be a long time. So I just fill it from my big tank, but it does make a dent.

For once I am glad to be where I am....in the middle of nowhere. 6K N2 (200 size?) approx 300lb. cylinder (467 cu ft) rented and picked up in Lubbock, TX at B&J Welding Supply:

Yearly lease $53.00
Fill $77.86
Deposit $ 100.00

Got my fill hardware from Joe B.
Fill my 490cc tank on my Airforce Condor easily by cracking the valve slowly and watching the tank gauge on the rifle and the N2 tank.
Also filling my 4500 PSI 90 cu in Ninja 3K regulated tank with no issues.

Thurmond