• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Night Vision Help

Pretty much all of the thermal scopes are digitally controlled these days so no getting away from the computer. The ATN line up has some inexpensive 160x140 pixel units at $1400

but a halfway decent 640x480 pixel 1-10 power is $3500. They are very computerized though. 

https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-night-vision

There are lots of options out there but thermal is expensive and 9 power even more so.

https://www.marineapproved.com/best-thermal-scopes/#6_Pulsar_Trail_XQLRF_XQ_Series_Best_Value_Scope

Digital night vision is the least expensive way to go.

There are a few decent digital night vision scope set ups out there.

The ATN 4K scopes are great units for sure and have many apps that werq well with them.

If you combine it with the ABL rangefinder, made for the scope, it will actually move the reticle for you, when ranging, so you seldom miss.

Internal battery lasts 18hrs so plenty for a couple of long days/nights hunting.

They do a good job of recording your shots with sound included.

WiFi connects to your phone easily.

There is a multi-step digital zoom feature.

Adjustable Parallax

Good FOV 46' @ 100 yards for the 3X14 about half that for the 6.5X20

Color day B/W night

They are built like a brick which is a plus.

They weigh as much as a brick and are not small units which are the only two negatives as far as I am concerned.

I have one of the 3X14 scopes and with my limited use it is a great unit.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Sight-Smart-Night-Rifle-Compass/dp/B079TDC1XS

The Pard 008 6.5-12 is a much lighter, less complex and more compact scope.

Companion rangefinder available in the LRF model.

Half the weight and size of the ATN 4K which are big pluses for the unit

Battery life is said to be 8 hours and is user replaceable.

Records your shots sound is not so great.

WiFi connects to your phone can be a pain.

New units have continuous 1x-2x zoom others have two step zoom.

Adjustable parallax

FOV I have not been able to find that information but would speculate it would be near half of the ATN 3×14's 46' at 100 yards.

Color day B/W night

Kind of a funky mounting system.

Many less apps than the 4K

The supplied IR is junk from what I have seen on Youtube. Not sure about the newest units.

So if you can deal with a few less apps, 8 hr battery, 2x digital zoom, a bit of a funky mounting system but in a much more compact unit with half the weight of the ATN scopes the Pard 008 is very good from what I have seen on Youtube.

I don't have one of these and am spoiled by the features of the heavy as a brick ATN. Else I would have a hard time deciding which to purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/Pard-lightest-Digital-Riflescope-Waterproof/dp/B07WPK1D3D

The Sightmark Photon RT 4.5X42S is a bit less sophisticated than the ATN

Newer units weigh in at slightly less than the ATN so it is heavy

Battery life is much lower like 3.5 hours with lithium batteries. User replaceable batts. Optional plug in battery packs are available.

Records your shots.

WiFi connects to your phone easily.

Has a two step digital zoom 4.5-9

Adjustable parallax

FOV 22.5' @ 100 yards

Black and white day and night. The ATN and Pard are color during day use.

I have one of these Photon units and it werqs quite well.

https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-SM18015-Digital-Riflescope-4-5x42S/dp/B078FHGXRT

Almost fergot the Nightshot 3X It is stripped down unit with very basic features.

Much smaller, lighter and far less expensive than the ATN, and Photon.

Plastic chassis

It has a 3 hr battery life. User replaceable batteries.

Does NOT record our shots

Does NOT have Wifi.

Only a 3X magnification

Fixed parallax set at 100 yards.

Much lower FOV than the 3×14 ATN

Black and white day and night.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/night-owl-optics-nightshot-digital-night-vision-riflescope.html

Link to another nighvision post with an in depth account of the Pard at the bottom.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/pard-nv008p-vs-atn-4k-pro/#post-829961

Helping your friend is cool but it's a very uphill battle if he's wanting to stay away from 'computerization'. Really difficult. 

There are lots features and you can't really pick and choose your favorites and different manufacturers all have different navigation / menu structures.

What you should maybe 'target' is products with SIMPLE menu / navigation so he doesn't have to scroll through a bunch of features he doesn't want.

I am a competent but lazy enduser so I appreciate what your friend wants!

NIte site attach to your scope. Limit is your lluminstion. Use mine in open fields and stationary hunting. Have new sightmark. Less than &500. Great for walk and stall. No sound recording but don't really record any way. Beautiful display. Easy controls, great nite. Thermal will be big bucks if you don't want be shooting critters and can't tell the difference with neighbors field dog! If you like to take evening strolls, it's worth a look.

ATN all the way. I own two. 3x14 and 5x20. 
3x14 lives on quick release mount so I xa swap between platforms. Zeroing is a non issue, just load that profile for that platform. Goes from mrod to texan, never had a zero issue.

The ballistics laser coupled with the smart-mil is really good IF you know the BC and chrony. ( I tether so no issues with the fps) NSA ammo is spot on with his published BC’s, at least the 457 I buy. Knowing how to calculate manually will reap the best benefit for fine tuning, however. 

Night hunting becomes basically day hunting, but in b&w.The illuminator is perfectly matched too. 

There is a learning curve, but in no time you can zip along. The app also adds value. Streaming video and even change settings.

If he wants a fairly "simple" but useful night vision scope have a look at the Pard 007 that attaches to the existing scope via a mount ring attached to the eye piece. It has decent night vision and records to the phone or SD card. The nice thing about this unit is that the thing is removed from the scope and easily replaced, but effects nothing with the dedicated scope's zero because it basically looks through the scope to see and record.

Hi all

Trying to help your pal who doesn’t like researching . 
The old adage buy once buy right. We all end up with a cupboard of guns scopes etc

The suggestion of a Pard 007 is a good one. 
The AtN also. 
Pard 008 lrf also.

Personally I prefer a Nv on the gun plus a Thermal spotter.

Waving a loaded rifle around searching for a target is tiring and maybe dangerous.

Night shooting is a different skill to be learnt. Ones eyes after peering through a scope or monocular do hinder your vision moving around. The other eye is not at the same level. Detection and identification are very important separate issues.

A spotter gives a wide field of view and very quick detection. Light weight one handed. A quick sweep of say a 400 yd square field takes seconds. Yes there is a heat object maybe a rabbIt lying down resting . Use the NV on same target no it is a farmyard cat. Unlikely the NV would have seen it.

The Pard 007 add on or the 008 lrf are very useable items. 
A separate spotter makes a perfect marriage. Oh and the spotter can be used for wild life study, learning habits of birds owls coyote anything. 
Pulsar and other makes offer a good range of Thermal spotters. The Pulsar Axion series , for example XM30s or XQ38 are two

Advice on NV or Thermal can be found on Airgunforum.co.uk. Section devoted to NV and thermal. Maybe you could research there.

Safe shooting