Night Shooting

Hey there folks,

My name is K9, and I am an addict... 😁

And... I wanted to share something I enjoy during sleepiness nights thinking about slinging pellets. 

I picked up a few "Solar Spotlights" from Tractor Supply to illuminate my flag pole. Well, they weren't quite bright enough for that job. But....

It got me thinking. *Insert Great Idea here!

20210911_185201.1631415454.jpg
20210911_185135.1631415457.jpg

Well... Insert a new problem. I'm running out of pellets much faster these days. 😂

20210911_213733.1631415617.jpg
20210911_213643.1631415617.jpg
20210911_213516.1631415618.jpg

These are set up at 100yds and 130 yds.

It's fun and fills the urge to shoot whenever I want. (The joys of country living!)

Hope it gives someone an idea to help with this never ending addiction. 

Cheers,

K9

Reactions: Impact701
lol, that's great and looks like fun!

Even with the little spotlights, I bet you will really start to see the differences in the optics of your scopes.. could be on a dangerous and expensive road there if you are not careful! :)

I've never tried this exactly, but on a similar note I have used my DeWalt LED light to light up bullseye targets on my target trap after dark when i was desperate to test fire my first PCP. ( If I lived in a less close neighborhood, I'd be doing it all the time! Cooler at night!) But that lead me to realize that only one of my scopes was really very good in low light,.. and well,. $$$ :)

CyberDyneSystens - I probably do over half my target shooting at night, for various reasons and find your comments about scopes and target shooting at night interesting. To me it is just the opposite.

If I use a 16X Centerpoint in bright sunlight It is kinda hazy, I think from all that light bouncing around on the imperfections in the glass. If I use that same scope at night on a well lite target like K9 seems to be using it is much clearer.

I can even tell a difference with my Element Helix 24X. Not as much but it is there.

Now if the target is in "low light" then yea $$$$ talks.

I'm using an Arken Optics SH4 6-24x50 mounted on my Impact M3 .30.

Having the illuminated reticle option does help a bit. As you can see, it's pitch black out there.

I'm out in the sticks sitting on 6 acres surrounded by corn and marsh land. A deer hunters dream.

When I'm able, I'll download more images shooting through my IR scope cam attachment. I'm currently working with the manufacture and their engineers to gain better clarity with IR and an increase in FPS. (Frames per second, currently at 120) They've requested I limit what I share until the bugs are worked out. 

With that set up, I can see the 130yd target pretty clear without the solar spot light. 

I've been shooting for 6 hours now. Eye fatigue and strain on these 50 yr old eyeballs has gotten the best of me for now. Tomorrow, another 3 or 4 tins and a couple of tank fills, I should have some decent pics and video to share. 

Hey there folks,

My name is K9, and I am an addict... 😁

And... I wanted to share something I enjoy during sleepiness nights thinking about slinging pellets. 

I picked up a few "Solar Spotlights" from Tractor Supply to illuminate my flag pole. Well, they weren't quite bright enough for that job. But....

It got me thinking. *Insert Great Idea here!

20210911_185201.1631415454.jpg
20210911_185135.1631415457.jpg

Well... Insert a new problem. I'm running out of pellets much faster these days. 😂

20210911_213733.1631415617.jpg
20210911_213643.1631415617.jpg
20210911_213516.1631415618.jpg

These are set up at 100yds and 130 yds.

It's fun and fills the urge to shoot whenever I want. (The joys of country living!)

Hope it gives someone an idea to help with this never ending addiction. 

Cheers,

K9

Yeah, Shooting at night can be very rewarding.

Much cooler, no interruptions, Much less wind!!!

I do it all the time. 

Paul in N.TX

Had to make a run out of town for a few days... Apologies for not replying sooner.

A couple of other ideas I use for night shooting...

I used to set up glow sticks taped to wooden stakes. Really neat splattering effect in the dark of night when recorded and played back in "slo-mo".

Another enjoyable moment is to hang round orange and white fishing bobbers from a strand of mono filament on the range using USB tea lights taped to the bobbers connected to power packs makes for fun night targets. (1" and 2" lantern style bobber targets! Cheap from Wal-Mart)

Night Shooting is the best! No one to bug me. My son's sleeping and not wanting to use the air in the tanks or shaking the bench. It's most always cool and calm. Just like PaulNTX said, less wind!

"What IR am I using?" 

For now, I can't say. (Soon though) No official name. 😉 

Definitely 1080P, but, working on 4k. 120FPS for clear slow-mo shots. We're working on a 240 FPS version. There are design hiccups though coupled with scope mounting issues

I've been working with an overseas manufacture in redesigning their ir night vision product line. So far, it's been an exciting adventure. Long nights, many migraines mixed with language barriers and a sometimes oil and vinegar East meets West cultural indifferences, it's been an experience and eventful ride. 

My goal is finding an affordable way to own the night. Or, at least a few small slices at a time. 😁 

Until then, its solar lights, glow sticks and usb powered lights.

Thanks!