Nielsen Specialty Ammo

Shot some of the Nielsen ammo today. Had some strange results. They were REALLY consistent, but consistently to the right. They grouped very well but we're off center by about 4" to the right. I thought maybe it was me or the scope so I loaded up some pellets and everything was dead on again. Very strange. I've never shot slugs out of an airgun until today but I assume that this is not normal. 

Depends on the gun. Some slugs will shoot similar to a pellet and some will go to the right but consistently. I shoot a lot of slugs so I am used to this. It is always to the right, I think because your rifle has a right twist. If your gun puts them to the right you have to adjust your scope accordingly. They should group into the same place? IF so, your gun would require a different scope zero for slug/pellet. I would zero for pellet and find how many clicks to adjust for slugs so you can easily go back and forth.

Really gun dependent, same bullet in one gun is same as a pellet and next gun to the right. I wish I knew why. Onc thing with slugs that does not apply to pellets as much, make sure your barrel is clean.

If you want to see why slugs are valuable shoot your pellet at 50 yards and then your slug aiming at the same point. The slug will be lower on the target because it is heavier. Then shoot both at 100 yards, again aiming at the same point. In all our testing, the heavier slug has caught up with the low BC pellet and is equal height to the pellet. If you go even further out, the heavier slug hits higher than the pellet.

I have seen shifts like that ( not a full 4" but maybe 2" ) not allows to the right though. I tend to chalk it up to harmonics but naturally , who knows. As long as they group well.

Where is the precision .30 ammo? It is looking like the .30 is an outstanding cal. for high power airguns might be fun to try some higher BC ammo in .30.

John

The shooting to the right is not just with these slugs it is most slugs when you compare slugs to pellets. I believe this is from a pellet being drag stabilized and a slug being spin stabilized. The rifling spins right and gives the slug a little right spin.

If you sight your gun for slugs you will not notice this, only if you go back to to pellets. Once your gun is sighted for slugs it is very accurate and predictable.

I can confirm this. I shot my .25 Marauder and my Bulldog yesterday with slugs (Nielsen's actually) and it was very consistent, but off to the right. There was a guy shooting a .300 Blackout next to me. We were taking turns plinking at different ranges. He was amazed how he could shoot something and I'd put a .25 slug in the same hole he just made. I shot a few empty shotgun shells at 50 yards with the Bulldog too. That surprised him as well.