Nielsen slugs, what were they thinking

Thought I’d check out some Nielsen 36.2s in my new upgraded impact, after shooting @ 1,000 33.5s out of my old MKll I was eager to try something heavier in my more powerful power plenum MKll. The 33.5s I had been shooting were beautiful, polished smooth and perfectly lubed. The “so-called” latest and greatest 36.2s were anything but that. When I first opened the box I thought “ what the %+#* happened to these” they looked oxidized and pitted, they also looked as if they had been rolled in beacon grease. Did some calling and some googling and come find out that that’s the way they are being Marketed from here on out...I’m at a loss for words! I can only hope that the other guys who are coming on line with slugs will be able to fill the void I now have. Oh yeah! They jammed the magazine and shot like crap.

Can't say what happened there but I recently got some of the 36.2gr .25 slugs myself. Yes, they are lubed now a definite plus+ as far as I am concerned but other than that they are still about as perfect a slug as one could wish for. I am shooting spray paint cans at 200 yards with them and often hit with multiple shots in a row. Hard to beat that. Probly should contact them about what you received.

1585112442_1970401245e7ae57b012ff9.05058948.jpeg

That is not oxidation of the lesd it is the lube drying and leaves a white film. Does not effect accuracy at all, it is Skick 50 lube and after a while it leaves that white film.

We are experimenting right now on a silicone based lube that so far does not leave a visable film after it dries. That only effects the slug cosmetic and not accuracy.

Reactions: Hajimoto
Given time I too will be ordering more but not in the near future. New ammunition shouldn’t have to be improvised or have to be repaired in order to perform as expected. Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of and have put hundreds of Nielsen’s down range. I also filled my freezer with squirrels this past fall. I just shouldn’t have to thump my magazine or shake a chicken over my gun for it to get it to work properly. And yes! The 33.5s I got some months back, I can shoot sub-minute groups @ 75yds with whereas it’s 4” groups at 50 with the new 36.2s.

I’ve received at least 5 or 6 boxes of .22 and .25 slugs recently from Nick. I’ll grant you, they’re not as pretty and shiny as the used to be. But they shoot just as well as they always have, and the wash and lube ensures your barrel doesn’t foul nearly as fast. They also seem to slide into the breech easier when I close the bolt on my .22 Eddy R3 Long or .25 R5 Super Magnum.

As some of us have discovered through trial and error, slugs behave differently wrt speed compared to pellets. With pellets if they seem inaccurate and unstable, normally slowing them down a bit fixes the problem. But with these slugs, it could end up being that you’re shooting too fast - or too slow. My R5 LIKES the 26.8 HP DB NSA slugs. But although fairly accurate, they weren’t up to the same standard as the .217 NSA 20.2 gr in my R3. I was shooting the 26.8 at 960 to 965 FPS. So I decided to “crank it up” to 1030 to 1035 FPS. The slugs LOVE that speed. I haven’t taken them out at distance yet, but have hit a 3/4 inch spinner at 75 yards 6 shots in a row in fairly windy conditions.

So with the NSA slugs, change your paradigm wrt speed. Check lower, but also check higher. You might be pleasantly surprised. 

We are experimenting with a new lube. Not because this one does work but cosmetically it is not as good. So far this one does not have the milky residue. The new one is silicone so far so good. Will be a few weeks before we switch as we want to see over time how it looks.

I have been using Slick 50 for years with very good results. The milky appearance it leaves behind is not favorable and it seems to do on some slugs more than other which I can not explain since they are all the same lead and go through the same manufacturing process.

When you take a zoomed in picture and the light is casting shadows of a bullet you see all this detail that you do not see with the naked eye. Those slugs are cleaned inside a sonic cleaner, dried with fans and then lubed. I don't know how they can be any cleaner.

The new lube we are experimenting with since Monday still no while film you can see. We are still testing it though.