Nothing to do with airguns, but was watching the national news this evening, CBS. It was nearing the end of the 30 minutes and I counted 10 commercials in a break then one item, about sports before they closed. Local is not much better, very little local stuff, most is grabbed off national feeds which may be repeated later, with a few items of local interest. I guess, no know, I am getting old. Wish for news like the old Huntley/Brinkley and Walter Cronkite reports. Just a rant on my part.

Talk about screwed up TV...
The other night, I was watching a show, during ONE...commercial sequence, they (someone !) showed that same commercial FIVE times !
A given commercial, then "X" commercial, then a different commercial, then "X" commercial, then two different commercials, then "X", and so on until the "X" commercial was shown five times.

SOMEONE was asleep !

Mike

Reactions: MrP
I discovered another source yesterday, a cable channel called I24, Israeli news and a program called global eye. Just tonight they had about 15-20 minutes of news bites from all over the world, one after another and finally a commercial break, about six bits over a couple of minutes. News was rather hard news, nothing about social events, celebrities or sports, just things going around all over the world.

Reactions: rangur1
My local news channel teamed up with a national news organization at the beginning of the year. (I’m sure it’s happened all over the US) So yeah. A few local stores then it’s passed off to some other reporter from some other state.
But I mostly watch YouTube. I’m in between internet providers right now. Bad planning on my part. No internet on my tv so no YouTube until the end of the month.

TV news declined when marketing discovered news as an income source, to be used to convert eyeballs into dollars. Integrity was replaced by entertainment and sensationalism.

The downside of internet news is one can curate what one sees to only reinforce one’s beliefs and prejudices. TV news can now be selected in the same way. Best to seek a broad spectrum of content including those that challenge one’s views, IMHO.

Check out "The Good News". I don't have to be troubled by all the worldly news. I don't need those talking heads. I have the talking heads on for a while and don't even listen. Those monkeys don't tell me what to think or how to live. That's already been laid out. Who needs them? Bunch of 🐵 🐵 🐵 🐵
Why would I let them rock my boat? They're not my idols, no sir.

Nice to hear of folks who have weaned their families off the free advertainment. . Haven’t had a tv in my home for about 17 years due to the endless loud commercials. I kind of felt like a sucker… it’s like inviting a sales rep into your living room when you are trying to relax.

I watch plenty of movies and such via the internet, never play live news, will not watch ads of any kind of I can help it.

I try not to bring it up in conversation because I think it sounds snobby or something, but i don’t think I’m better than anyone else - all it is is I can’t stand the ads.

One other thing for any of you to get your news via the internet… I always search and browse that kind of stuff with my browser set to “private” (aka incognito mode). This setting prevents websites from setting cookies that are used to track your behavior from visit to visit. I just don’t want the Google algorithm or the algorithms of any news or online shopping sites to skew what I see when I search / browse.

I hate the way the algorithms create these little bubbles of info selected to match your likes/opinions/tastes or steer you to paid sponsors’ content. The more you allow the algorithm to gather data on you and tune things to your interests, the more they mess with your views and choices. Online shopping should also always be done in private mode because otherwise they’ll try to sell things to you based on proximity or previous purchases and you miss out on better alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: tibor
Haven't watched television in over eight years. There's no truth on television, only programming. "We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false." - William J. Casey, CIA Director (1981) Cronkite was bought and paid for and so was Edward R. Morrow, it goes back that far. Search for Brian William''s truthful statement regarding this after he retired.

We did the same with movies, tired of the Hollywood perverts.

Newspapers are compromised too. After over thirty years of reading the Wallstreet Journal daily I canceled my subscription in the Fall of 2001. Astute readers will figure out why.

If you're concerned about privacy you can dramatically improve your situation over simply using a browser's private mode, watch a Rob Braxman video on "browser isolation." He'll probably talk you into a degoogled phone too. I highly recommend GrapheneOS and absolute minimal usage. You may also want to consider running Linux on Ryzen powered box without Intel's backdoor access.

Back in time my two boys were growing up they like to watch some so stupid brainwashing cartoons they started mimicking/repeating the characters.
I cut the TV cable - outside of the house walls - that was in 2007. Since then the boys are grown up, we barely sit together to watch stream movies 2-3 times a month, my hightech Samsung is still like a new TV since then...
I am reading internet News every day, several of them and random titles, in four languages, what American and what European media.
A very decent amount of misinformation-disinformation-gosip and propaganda everywhere - - - - brainwash, makes you ready for the next step that is coming, and will enter at your door without knocking.
Read and listen everything and everybody and try to think clear with your own brain, as MAMA said.
I used google search for over two decades but switch it down to Firefox, nomore Windows/OS and paid subscriptions = all linux in my house.