• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Newly Arrived Umarex Gauntlet 2 Leaking After First Fill Suggestions?

Hey AN, 

I hope that all are well in these crazy times. This past week I ordered a brand new Gauntlet 2 and it arrived yesterday ground from Kansas. So just before lunchtime today I used my Spiritech 4500 psi hpa compressor to charge the 24 cu inch cylinder to 4500 psi from 0 psi. The auto shut off worked perfect and the comp didn't get above 36 deg C. ( 19 minutes )

But now after 6 hours the rifle air pressure gauge is reading below 3500 and it is continuing to drop. I used some soapy water around the fill fitting and pressure gauge tap but I don't see any bubbles so it may be internal.

So I'm thinking tomorrow morning bright and early I'll refill and take the rifle out and fire off 50 rounds and then try another refill to see if the leaky parts seat properly.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. I'll reply to any suggestions in the a. m. I'm real reluctant to send the air rifle back with the ever increasing delays on all things that ship globally. I'm considering if my attempt at a cure doesn't work I'll take the rifle down to a firearms/air rifle shop down the street and get an assessment from the gunsmith.

Thank you,

Garnet

That's a significant leak. You might try tapping the check valve area with a plastic or rubber hammer. Sometimes the check valve doesn't seat exactly where it should after filling. Light taps can sometimes get it seated property. Unfortunately if that doesn't work you have to tear it down. Does it have a foster fitting? I don't own a guantlet but if it does use some of that soap on the tip of the fill fitting and not just at the base to see if it's leaking out there. If it is that's a sure sign that the check valve isn't seating properly or that the seal inside that valve is damaged. I wouldn't take it to a gunsmith I would find someone with airgun repair experience. A gunsmith would probably just mess it up without actual experience with airguns.