Newcomer Questions

We were all here at some point and I want to let everyone know that this forum has been great for gaining knowledge on a very fun sport - be it plinking, target or hunting. I wish I would have joined sooner as it probably would have saved me some money, but we can't take it with us! I had a problem with charging my tank that I got the answer in a different forum - big win. I zeroed my scope in the other day with good results. These were at 30 yards. To get to this target took about 3 first with shots everywhere! The first group was the center target. I made some slight adjustments and then shot at the number on the left, mad a few adjustments and shot at the number on the right. I think that I can't hold the gun perfectly steady caused that grouping so I called it sighted in (Couldn't resist the small red dot!). This is my back yard and the logs were better than my neighbors garage as backstop!
PZOJ4376.JPG

After this, I knew that I could probably hit what I was aiming at within the 30 yard distance - and my yard is no larger so not much else to do. We have a bumper crop of rabbits this year with no natural predators to thin the herd. I typically have 5 to 6 grazing in my yard at any given time. The dog won't even chase them anymore! They have managed to be rather destructive. With that in mind, I read on within the forum regarding the hunting and was able to get even more pointers. The culmination was that I shot 2 last night with perfect head shots in which the animals did a single jump; than a couple twitches; then perfectly still. The importance to me was that the animals not suffer and this was surely the case. Again, thank you all for the excellent advice.

My first question is that I really had to crank the elevation on the scope to zero it in. I'm afraid that I probably don't have much left at the top end (haven't put the zero saver back in the scope yet to really test). Does anyone have some recommendations on some decent (and affordable) adjustable scope mounts that will let one move the rear end of the scope up and down? This would let me reduce the elevation to where I could use it for longer shots without toping out.

Question 2 - I have some rats - not as many as the rabbits - that I want to remove. I'm sure I'm going to need to get a night vision styled scope to catch them out - which you never see them during the day. I have been going through the other forums to see what people like. What I have not found anywhere is "what is a good time after dark to start your ratting?" Clearly everyone is hunting these in pitch black, but is it early evening? late evening? early morning? I don't mind waiting (I'm old so that comes with age!) but anyone with some times that they were most successful with would be great.

Question 3 - My gun (AGT Uragan .25 cal) has an adjustable air pressure valve - albeit not easy to get to. I have the moderator on the gun, but it still seems to be quite loud. I'm filling it up to about 225 bar and using JSB Exact King Diablo pellets @ 25.39 grains. I have not purchased a chronograph yet, but was wondering if the speeds may be at or above 1000 fps giving me the report I'm hoping to avoid. I have more pellets and slugs that I eventually want to see what the gun really likes, but these are what I used to site it in. There is a difference between the suppressor and no suppressor, but not as much as I thought it would be (the neighbor heard me shoot the rabbits and offered me a drink!) Any thoughts on taming the sound?

Thanks to all - Paul

Reactions: moodyblues
Q#2: I have several night vision units on hand. I have a couple NiteSite units that work well, but they are large cumbersome. I no longer use the Nite Site units since I acquired my Pard 007S and Pard 008S LRF.
The Pard units are compact and lightweight. The Pard 007S can be attached to your current scope. The Pard 008S LRF is a stand-alone day/night unit with excellent recording and reticle adjustments. I would recommend the 008S LRF, although it is slightly more costly than the 007S.
Q# 3 I suggest acquiring a chronograph. I find mine to be indispensable. I have a Labradar and an FX Pocket unit. I use the pocket unit at the shooting range, as it is more portable than the Labradar.
Good luck with those pests.

Just went ratting last night. The premium time seems to be just after night fall. I start with night vision, an old ATN beast, but then switch to CO2 repeaters for some Live action.

By midnight, the rats know what's up, clever little devil's. We started @9:30 pm and shot 50+
I own a Uragan .30 cal- you will need a Chrony to check the velocity. A supersonic crack is different than just a loud rifle, but until you know the difference, it would be best to get the velocity numbers. Before you touch the hammer or reg, get your current velocity.
If you have any 33 grain pellets, you could try those, as you will be going slower with the heavier pellet and it might tell you if you were supersonic before
The hammer is the easiest thing to adjust, but there is a sweet spot and only the Chronys numbers will tell you when you've consistent velocity - get it wrong and you can have 50-70 fps variation, shot to shot. I ended up putting a huma reg in, and really spent some time on the hammer/reg pressure to find a great little window of airgun magic.
Good luck, it's a lot of fun as you get more insight on our passion!

Have the same gun, with same AGT moderator. Shot better @ 50 yards with 33.95 grain JSBs but had to adjust hammer spring in almost 3/4 of a turn for consistent accuracy. (Viewed YouTube videos on how to adjust hammer spring.) As quiet as my FXs, with moderator installed. Oakhonor and Bamavet are correct to recommend a chronograph, I use a cheap Chinese E9800-X (around $60), but it gets the job done. Best of Luck, WM

Thanks for the responses! I went out to the range today (98 out) and played at 100 yards. I also went through a bevy of pellets and slugs. Wind was spotty at up to 15 sometimes, but it would drop enough where I cloud say "calm." Having a scope with a zero stop on it is very nice! I think you two are right... I'm going to spend more on a chrony to really start gaining more precision. What is fun is watching the looping pellet towards the target! It's more a blur at 30 yards. Here's my grouping. I was playing around with the windage so the group to the right of the bullseye is also mine - 7 shots. I stuck the circle target over an existing one... didn't know I needed a staple gun to put the target I bought at the range... that won't happen again!

IMG_3342.JPG

I took the rig down to a friend's birthday party who has some property and setup a can at about 40 yards and let everyone take a few shots. Everyone hit the can on the first try! I finally got my wife to try (she's actually a good shot). She was dismissive, but when I finally get her to shoot, she loved it, so I have another air gun convert! I did have to dodge the "how much did you spend" questions!
I also ordered the Pard 007s for a night vision clip-on. I will report on how well the rig does for night ratting... I have -unfortunately - an abundance literally in my back yard.

Last edited: