Newby overwhelmed by choices!

Hi guys I am a newby and I'm overwhelmed by all the rifle choices and was hoping you could help out. I have watched reviews and read reviews and I have decided "I like that one, wait a minute I like that one, but what about that one" LOL. Here is a little background: I am close to 50 years old and have been around rifles all my life. my first rifle was a Daisey BB gun when I was 10. I hunt animals from prairie dogs to elk. I have recently got into long range shooting with a 7mm Rem Mag. I love to plink and target shoot and have a Ruger 10/22 but no longer can find cheap ammo for it if I can find any at all so that is why I am interested in an airgun.

I am thinking I want a PCP because I want to shoot as small of groups as possible and at longer ranges. I know there is a big range of prices and I want to keep the price as reasonable as possible but not be disappointed. I am used to shooting sub moa at 100 yds with my 243, 270 and 7mm so I think I want a rifle cable of 1/2" groups at 50 yds.

So any help on starter packages that would meet my needs would be appreciated. I know there are many options but some opinions may make it a little less overwhelming.

Thanks,
Dan

Can you give us your price range? Calibre? PCP's range from $300.-$3,000. + The standard recommendation would be a Benjamin Discovery or Marauder or a Hatsan AT44 Look for package deals on those. Try the advertisers at the bottom of this page. These are entry level guns so its a bit of a gamble if you will get a super accurate one. If accuracy is super important you may need to spend a little more. Remember you will need an air source as well. Spend some time here reading, asking questions and use the search feature. These questions have been asked many times here. Also don't be in a big hurry and you will be able to make a more informed decision as you learn more.

Good luck and welcome!

+1 to 30cal

I did what I thought was extensive research before buying my first. Then I found this place. Though I am happy with my choice of Marauder .25.

Read all you can find, decide on a price and the charging method you are comfortable with. Include your air source in the price of the rifle. After you make you're purchase be prepared to fire many, many pellets just to get acquainted with your new rifle. After that you need to test difderent pellets to find what your individual rifle likes. Being accurate with an air rifle is not the same as being accurate with a powder burner.

Sorry guys I was trying to keep my first post from getting too long. Here is some more information:

As far as budget it would just be a matter of how long I would have to save up for before I could make the purchase. And how I convince my wife I need one. But $1500 to $2000 could be doable in a reasonable amount of time. I live in an isolated area so I would need a compressor and tank. I was looking at the shoe box compressors any opinions on them?

As far as caliber I have more questions before I can determine that. I have plenty of guns for hunting so that is not a big consideration. My question is are airguns like powder burners in that heavier projectiles are better for accuracy on longer ranges?

I have been reloading for over 20 years and one of the thing I enjoy is load development and testing so finding the right pellet would be part of the fun for me.

Thanks again.

Dan,

I too was very overwhelmed with pcp air rifle choices ,but after a little research I knew that I wanted either a Airforce Talon SS or a Benjamin Marauder because it was in the price range I wanted to get started with($500-$600 for rifle only).

I ended up picking the Benjamin Marauder and heres why:
1. I knew my air source to pump a PCP was going to be a hand pump and as much as I liked the Talon SS, I knew it was going to be less pump strokes to fill the Benjamin 215cc air tank vs the 490cc bottle that the Talon SS was equipped with. I'm 28 years old and I consider myself physically fit so the hand pumping really doesn't bother me.

2. Benjamin Marauder is a repeater with a magazine where the Talon SS you had to manually load each pellet. Little bit of wind can skew the pellet off target and that quick follow up shot helps to make adjustments and fire again. 

3. The overall design of the Benjamin looked nicer in my opinion and it had the looks of a more traditional rifle that I'm accustomed with.

Now that I knew I wanted a Marauder, I did more research and found that .177 and the .22 Marauders had bad reputations with accuracy on some rifles. I didn't want to take the chance of getting a dud so I picked up a .25 caliber Marauder and I couldn't of been any happier. In Illinois .22lr ammo (reloading components is scarce too) is hard to find so I thought a nice air rifle would be a good alternative to get me plinking again. A tin of 350ct. .25 caliber JSB pellets is on Pyramid Air is $16.95 and if you buy 4 tins the 4th tin will be free. If my memory serves me correctly, a 550 rnds of Federal .22lr ammo was around $20 about 4+ years ago and that would make it $0.03/bullet for .22lr vs $0.04/pellet .25 JSB. 

Anyways, I hope this helps you a little bit on your quest for your first PCP.

-CJ

Reactions: NMshooter
I was in the same boat when I was researching PCPs. I had NO idea they even existed until I was researching a .22 break barrel for some pesky groundhogs. I purchased a Benjamin Trail NP XL and just never could get accurate with it... was very disappointed so I researched more and more on the Marauder I heard so much good things about. Sold the NP and bought the .25 marauder. Loved how it was a repeater and the accuracy and man the thump it made hitting my backstop! What I didn't like was the small limited shot count (16-18) good shots before having to pump again. 

In a fashion that is all my own, I decided instead of buying a CF tank or compressor... I'll buy a regulated .22 FX Bobcat. Was a pricey dive into the airgunnig world but was well worth it! I shoot it as much as I can and get about 80 good, 100 if I stretch it shots per fill and continue to use a hand pump. 

There are a lot of good choices out there, use this website and others to make an educated decision on your needs and budget.

be forwarned tho. once you buy one.. your going to want them all!

Dan go to u tube and watch reviews of all the different PCP's out there. Ted has some good reviews, AOA has good reviews. There is also the airgun show out of England that reviews different rifles. That is how I decided which PCP I wanted to buy. I ended up getting an Air Arms S510 which will do everything you want. I have since bought a daystate regal. Buying a fill station is important also, as it makes shooting more enjoyable. So sit back and watch some videos. Mark

I like BSA R-10 a lot from what I have read but I have never held one I think I may have bought one before ordering the RAW because of the price but I wanted a .25 Cal. There is a very good buy on a used Daystate Airwolf MCT .22 cal in the classifieds guy is selling a CF tank scope and gun in .22 cal for $1500 it is on the second page of the classifieds on this forum. I don't know anything about the guy selling or the gun just pointing out an add. Here is the add link http://airgunnation.dev/topic/for-sale-daystate-airwolf-mctw-accessories/

Mike

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered an airgun. I changed my mind set and went the budget route so I could get in the game now rather than trying to save up and convince my wife I needed to spend $2500.

I order the following from Airgun Depot:
Hatsan AT44S 10 Shot PCP .22 Caliber AirRifle
Plano Pro-Max Single Scoped Contoured Case,53"
Gamo Cone Pellet Trap + 100 FREE Target Cards!
RWS .22 cal Shooters Kit- Includes Cleaning Kit, Pellets & Targets!
Air Venturi G6 Hand Pump
JSB Match Diabolo Test Sampler, .22 Cal, Round Nose & Pointed, 4 Pellet Types, 240ct

All in with 10% first time buyer discount came to $630. Still need a scope but wanted to wait until I got the rifle to see how I wanted to mount it.

Very nice. I am sure you will be stoked with it. I am in the process of getting my second although really it's my first as I bought a Marauder Pistol I really don't like and haven't even charged up yet, but that was my bad. I purchased in haste and without having done my research, but I digress. 

Ive looked at that rifle 100 times over now. I can't imagine you not being satisfied with it. It seems like a really nice shooter from the videos I've seen and the reviews I've read. 

The choices are overwhelmingly endless it would seem though. Now that I semi understand what I am doing I find myself in a ridiculous pickle on what gun I really want and will be satisfied with. I think I am going to bump my budget slightly and get the JKHan Krosa and call it a day. 

Happy shooting!

edit: answer to question was right in front of my face. 10% is nice!