• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Looking to get started in this FT shooting, recommendations on PCP and Spring guns, as well as scopes, Thanks
This is for the regular US, Field Target competition (NOT the extreme US Field Target and NOT Field Target as play in other countries) under 0.22 caliber, pellets only at this time. (no slugs)

Depends on your budget and what class/ division you wanna shoot in. First decide on Piston or PCP (PCP are way easier to shoot). Then under 12 FPE or under 20FPE. If Under 12 FPE You can shoot WFTF, Hunter, or Open (just know that you are at a disadvantage shooting under 12FPE in hunter or open). If under 20FPE you can shoot hunter or open.

Piston, low budget = Beeman R9, HW 50, RWS 34, RWS 48 ; More money = TX 200, HW 97, Walther LGU, RWS 54/56
PCP, low budget look at Benjamin Marauder, AA 200, Umarex Gauntlet gen 1, Diana storm rider, Gamo urban (There may be others, I don't shoot PCP, so I'm not very familiar with this group) ; Way more money = Thomas, Steyr, Daystate, Walther, FWB, Air Arms (They all build dedicated FT rifles)

Scope
I'm only gonna cover those appropriate for piston/springers. For PCP You have tons more options. use something that can parallax down to 10 yards (Magnification any power you want. Just be aware for shooting Hunter class you need to turn scope magnification down to 16X and shoot mil-dots or Mil-hash)

low budget look at Hawke, Vortex scopes
High budget= Sightrons, March, Kahles, Leupold, Delta Stryker,

Best to attend your local FT shoot. Talk to others to see and test out what they are using.

Last edited:
My suggestion: get a TX-200 or HW-97 with a 4-16 power scope in .177, a bucket seat, and shooting cross sticks and start out shooting springer hunter class. These are timeless classics, excellent value, and useful for most any kind of airgunning.

Then as you get to know the game, you can consider the jump to pcp. That will probably be a highly specialized set of equipment and more expensive. No point starting there unless you’re dead set on it and have deep pockets to re-buy stuff in the cost range. There are cheap pcps but there isn’t much point buying one to compete against high end pcps.

Reactions: Lt.Dan