Newbie with $600 budget

Don't ya just love all the differing opinions? Hope we haven't been too confusing, so many choices these days. When I got into the game, the entry level choices were Benjamin Discovery or Marauder. Must be 20 guns in the under $500 range these days.

Hatsan Flash, Gamo Urban, Beeman QB Chief, Benjamin Fortitude, BSA Buccaneer, Maximus, Fortitude, Diana Storm Rider, and more. So many choices and you can't go wrong with just about any of them. Good luck!

Well I have to vouch for the .25 cal marauder. I have mine tuned for 16 shots at 845 fps with 25gr jsb. I have taken woodchuck out to 65 yards with it and starlings under 45 yards are toast. This gun will do smaller than dime size 8 shot groups at 40 yards. They are great just the way they are but they can also be modded for more power or more shot count etc. I will admit I also know own a cricket with a couple more guns on my list but unlike some don't regret buying the marauder at all....absolutely fantastic gun for the money. I also like a little bit heavier gun for stability and I have carried mine many miles walking the hay fields for woodchuck...it must have 30 plus woodchucks and a few hundred pest birds. Also even with the cricket I still take the marauder out fairly often.

Let me put a plug in for .22 Marauder. If you are hand pumping, you can get 30+ shots from the .22 per fill vs 16 per fill with .25. Mine gets 1.5 inch groups at 75 yards, and has plenty of punch for most critters. Less air (pumping), lower cost ammunition (typically 500 per tin vs 300 or so for .25).

It's a good compromise between the .177 which can work, but is on the smallish side. Remember, the .25 will yield 40-ish foot pounds, the .22 around 28 foot pounds. But in all the discussions of energy, remember the Brit's take rabbits with .177 running under the 12 foot pound legal limit (otherwise they must obtain a firearms license.) 12 fpe with proper shot placement will easily take rabbits and birds. US versions of the .177 will deliver 12 - 18-is fpe so even those will take small game nicely with proper shot placement.

As you move up in caliber and energy, the damage to the critter increases, with a kill shot being more likely. The question is really, how much is enough? If you are set on a .25 (My Impact is a .25, love it!) GET ONE! If a .22 will do the job, it's more economical on air and cash. Your call!

Thanks to all for the responses. Maybe my question should have been what rifle not to buy. Lol 

I am leaning more towards the marauder as I see more and more people talking about how good of an entry level rifle it is. 

What at I would like to know is how much additional $$$ in mods are we talking about. Before I reach the high end rifle threshold. Will the marauder perform any different than the high end stuff. 

As as far as accuracy, shot count, and power. What is the best bang for buck that will not discourage me from the hobby. 

Look at it this way. A brand new .25 synthetic Marauder will cost you about $434 after discount at Pyramid Air. A Regulated Walther Barrel Field and Target .22 Marauder will set you back about about $599. The later technically having almost no mods to perform on. Although I don't know if a Hammer Debounce Device is still recommended. Get on YouTube and do some homework. Some reviews on the regulated Marauder are popping up here and there. (take some with the proverbial grain of salt)

What I can tell you is that it is certainly better to start with the best quality possible you can afford from the get go because it WILL cost you more later on. This is an awesomely addictive hobby that will suck you in and drain your wallet. WORTH it, totally. We are for the most parts creatures that once we taste something, we will want more, better, badder. I have reached a point of "I know what I need and what works for me" I still want more, sometimes I want better, I will buy more guns, but I don't have to. However I do have over $2K into my most used gun and that is probably more like $3K to include everything that I have to support it's use. 

Truth is, for the most part: You can buy a good quality German Springer, tune it yourself, and it will suit your NEEDS of dispatching your problem pests. They are very fun to shoot and will hone your shooting skills like nothing else. Depending on what you get, you are looking at say $300 to $700 for one, with not a lot more to spend on afterwards (Pump, tanks, etc) 

At the end of the day, I think a good solid entry level like a Marauder will do the job you want and I don't think you will be discouraged. I think you will get hooked. But, the first gun will serve your needs for a good while. You can always sell it forward when you can afford a bigger badder better one if that day comes. 

BTW. I will be in S. FL in February. You are welcome to come by and meet my guns, I will bring them for sure. There are other guys on here that meet up sometimes down there and go shoot. It is not a bad idea to hang out and see what you see. 

Cheers

Marauders shoot well out of the box. Mine has no modifications, only some tweaking to hit 830 fps (give or take, not regulated) with the JSB 18 grain pellets in .22. Even thought it does not have a regulator, it shoots extremely well. I've had the gun for a bit over 5 years now, and shot several thousand rounds through it. It's a fantastic starter platform, especially if you like to tinker. You can adjust the Marauder just like an FX Impact or Crown (except for the regulator). Very similar principles in adjustments. Great learning and shooting platform.

One of the strong points for the Marauder is the trigger. It's a solid, adjustable, two stage trigger so you can set to meet your needs. The Impact is better, but not that much.

As for modifications, I've seen people just about gut the gun, put in all after market parts, and really spruce it up. Or, you can shoot straight out of the box and have a good experience. Choice is yours. For me, the only modification I'm thinking of is possibly a Huma Regulator, other than that, I'm sticking with the gun as is.

Do make sure you have decent glass. My Marauder has a 4-14x44 on board, and it is quite adequate. The Impact has a 6-24, and to be honest anything past 18 is worthless. Just can't get lined up properly to use it. Lower magnifications allow you to scan for critters as well, so get good glass at a lower magnification would by my advice.

good luck, with so many solid choices out there, you really can't go wrong.

Agreed on a AA S200 or Brocock Compatto, I love mine but my Compatto will be listed in the classifieds section pretty soon for sale or trade. Anyway both are great guns and I’d highly recommend either. 
1539290091_10867765965bbfb3ebc8a4e5.63394194_0F89E489-3160-431A-A413-B05EAB9207B8.jpeg
1539290092_3155351635bbfb3ec636cd6.79511800_EA003FEA-A89F-4549-8E7D-254BAEC73656.jpeg
1539290093_15018025165bbfb3ed0aef14.40048787_1087BB4B-612E-4F01-AE08-09174119FC8E.jpeg
1539290093_12544653275bbfb3edeebe56.59182539_68B1DEB6-94DF-41F9-BC4F-A919EA6453C7.jpeg

My vote is for a marauder though there are several other options out there. The mrod was my first pcp and has come along way from when I first bought it with all of the aftermarket upgrades/mods out there. Also parts are very easy to get if something goes wrong. I will agree that it is a bit on the heavy side. Or seems like it because most of the weight is forward. If shooting from a rest or something its not an issue though. Or even using a tree or something to rest against. Still a great platform especially if you want to learn more about the hobby due to the Mrod being easy as hell to work on. I honestly don't shoot mine much anymore because I have several higher end PCPs now. Just be careful. Once you get that PcP bug , well....

First, a disclaimer. I do not know the seller, nor do I know if the gun even shoots. However, if you are interested in a used .25 Marauder with scope, pump, pellets, and extra reseal kit, take a look:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Benjamin-Marauder-25-Synthetic-stock-with-accessories/283206313088?epid=2254328712&hash=item41f0696480:g:DwsAAOSwV45bv7ON

Just to be very clear, I don't know the seller, so as with buying any used article, buyer beware.

It is an auction, so the price could go up, but I suspect it'll stay under your budget with shipping. You might even make a counter offer and see if the seller will take it.

Just a thought.

Also, if buying a used Marauder, make sure it's a GEN 2. Gen 1 .177 and .22 barrels were suspect. I believe .25 barrels were made by Green Mountain so much higher quality. You can tell a Gen 2 by a couple obvious features. If it's synthetic stock, it's a Gen 2. If it has an adjustable comb on the stock, it's a gen 2.

Gen 2 had a couple improvements, like a depinger included from the factory, vastly better barrels in .177 and .22, and the adjustable comb among others. Gen 2 is worth looking for.

Hello forum members, I have finally narrowed it down to four. 

1) Marauder .25 2 gen: I love the amount of mods they have for this rifle. I am trying to make a list of the must do mods for this rifle to get it to shoot great. I am also trying to figure out what is break even point for this rifle. 

2) Hatsan AT44 long: After further review and suggestions from forum members it seems like thiS rifle has a good track record of having some good power and accuracy. I also see they have a few mods for this rifle to get it to shoot great groups.

3) Air Force CondorSS: Have read nothing but great things about this rifle. From customer service to build quality they are top of the line. The only down side to purchasing this in my book its that it only comes in a single shot. I have seen some mods where they do make a cartridge. 

4)FX Streamline: This is in a class of its own compared to the top 3. This is double my budget when it’s all said and done. Doesn’t mean I can wait another 2 months to save up and purchase this bad boy. Not sure if I want to make such a large investment into something I am not sure if it’s just going to sit in the gun safe. 

What are your views? 

I have a few items I already purchased and wish to use them with any of the rifles in the lineup. 

1) Harris engineering bipod. 

2)Hawke airmax EV 4-12X50AO AMX

3) scope rings

4) Yong Heng 4500 psi air compressor

Thanks in advance.