Newbie wants to skip the normal 1st airgun starter gun

Hello compressed air enthusiasts,
I am new to the PCP world and wanting to dive in to precision rifle for target practice and plinking. Semi auto, 30 plus caliber, that will work well with slugs and pellets. I already have a Sig Sauer MCX Gen 2 with PCP conversion and a Ruger break barrel pellet gun. I have many powder charged guns, but here in California, it is difficult and expensive to aquire ammunition and I don't want to use up my supplies of conventional ammo for practice and plinking.
My question is, is the Western Airguns Sidewinder appropriate for a PCP newbie, or is there some sort of learning curve that I am unaware of and I should get a "Starter" rifle first? I'm not new to target shooting, just PCP guns.
Cost is not a problem, I just want to sell my unfired Colt Python St. PAUL POLICE 125th anniversary 357 magnum first. I have several unfired collectors items that I can't even enjoy without depreciating the value $1000 just to fire it for the first time. Google the above mentioned Python, it's too beautiful to use!
Any thoughts on my choice of first real PCP?
Timmiecat

thoughts, i wouldnt sell a nice piece lol ... but sure, no reason you cant just by a higher end gun to start with, like a daystate, fx, raw etc .. for the bench id get a full sized bottle gun .. as far as caliber, above .22 ammo isnt as available or cheap is the only thing .. and really, id be realistic, pellet guns are really sub-100y guns, like a .22lr, but they can be super accurate, better than most .22lr ... so yeah, id talk around and be sure to get one with a barrel that is designed to shoot slugs if thats what you want ..

Welcome to the forum, great place to learn the ropes. Plenty to learn with PCPs, buying a "starter," isn't necessary. Two cautions, if PCPs don't turn out to be your thing, hard to recoup investment and, two, easily adjustable guns can be a big temptation to fiddle with, usually not to a good outcome, for beginners. In budgeting, don't forget an air source to charge gun and optics, since included open sights are rare. For gun information, upper right corner of page, search, "Western Sidewinder," Emu, a member who owns one, might be worth adding to member search box. Best of Luck, WM

Welcome.
Like you, I wanted to get a little better rifle than a "starter". I purchased a Daystate Hunter revere, regulated model in .22 cal. I have never looked back,

Worried Man gave good advice, be sure to budget for an air source. An air tank is minimum. If you have a place to have it filled. IF not, you'll need a compressor capable of filling the tank and or gun. Perhaps a foot pump will work for you to fill the gun.

Plenty of helpful knowledgeable folks here with good advice.

Be safe and enjoy the new sport.

Doc

Welcome aboard! The dazzling (& often confusing) array of PCP airguns available to the newcomer now is WAY different than it was 6-8 years ago. It CAN be overwhelming. Try not to be too influenced by YT videos touting the "latest & greatest" guns available as most people doing those have their own agenda. This forum is a great place for real world information, good and bad, but can really help in making an informed decision. Best of luck in your journey!

I would follow the above advice, plus get a little more familiar with what's available, and what's REALISTIC -

Semi-auto airguns are few and far between, and imho no one serious about target shooting would use a semi. Not trying to rain on your parade, just stating what is obvious, and will be obvious once you do some research.

Respectfully,

SteveV

Reactions: beerthief
I've got a .30 Sidewinder and the only caveat I'd give about it is that it's a noisy rifle, regardless of what can you put on it. You can make it a hell of a lot quieter than factory, but a lot of the noise comes from the action and there isn't much you can do about that. If you were to get a sidelever gun with similar power levels it would be much quieter.

Accuracy is top notch though and mine has had flawless reliability.

Mags are stupid expensive.

How are you going to know which gun us best for you until you have one ? With each gun we buy and or sell, we learn what we like and don't like. Nothing better than real life experiences !!
I agree with Airshot. You would learn better by shooting different guns starting with lower ends and upgrade to more expensive guns. For me personally, if I had started with an expensive gun like my Impact MK2, I might not have appreciate the accuracy of my Impact (after many hours/years of tuning and shooting lol). I would suggest to start off with a mid-price PCP and then move on up. The Daystate Regal would be my choice if I were to start over again.

Reactions: Mike_OH
If you can go down to a 25 cal, check out a Huben K1.

I like shooting a lot. My largest is a 25 cal, but I shoot 177 and 22 the most. It’s the most economical. But I don’t shoot long distances with my air rifles. I always recommend a good solid rifle that doesnt require tuning, but I don’t know of any in the semi auto range. I’m a precision target shooter, so I mostly shoot with a single shot tray.

Reactions: SteveV
Man wants to start off at .30 caliber (or above) semi-auto. He basically chose the Western Sidewinder or Western Rattler for himself unless he’s ok with a Hatsan Blitz in .30. I say eff it, go for it you’re ok with throwing money at a hobby willy nilly without doing much research.
EZ,
Well, OP did ask our opinion, plenty of solid replies, too. Ultimately, decision is his, can't say not warned, though. WM

You definitely sound like a firearm guy with expectations. If videos are what lead you in the PCP direction, then you probably have some unrealistic expectations. It doesn’t matter how much you spend because in this hobby you can spend your way right into deep water and headaches. The good thing is if cost is not a problem due to you having plenty of expendable income, then you’ll be fine. If cost is not a problem because you are selling a bunch of powder burners, that are actually worth something long term compared to PCP toys, then we have to keep you from making a big mistake. Your first gun should be one with a rock solid reputation. No having to caress it just right for it to perform. No clock running for something to break. If you want to be a big spender and drill stuff without having to constantly screw with the gun, I’ll make my recommendation. Get a AAA Paradigm .30. If you want to pretend you’re an AR15 guy with an airgun in semi auto land, I’d suggest that down the road. Get your feet wet first before you start buying niche guns.

EZ,
Well, OP did ask our opinion, plenty of solid replies, too. Ultimately, decision is his, can't say not warned, though. WM
@WorriedMan If the man insists on a semi-auto PCP .30 caliber (or higher) then his choices are very limited. Why he wants a semi-auto for target shooting? Who knows?

You definitely sound like a firearm guy with expectations. If videos are what lead you in the PCP direction, then you probably have some unrealistic expectations. It doesn’t matter how much you spend because in this hobby you can spend your way right into deep water and headaches. The good thing is if cost is not a problem due to you having plenty of expendable income, then you’ll be fine. If cost is not a problem because you are selling a bunch of powder burners, that are actually worth something long term compared to PCP toys, then we have to keep you from making a big mistake. Your first gun should be one with a rock solid reputation. No having to caress it just right for it to perform. No clock running for something to break. If you want to be a big spender and drill stuff without having to constantly screw with the gun, I’ll make my recommendation. Get a AAA Paradigm .30. If you want to pretend you’re an AR15 guy with an airgun in semi auto land, I’d suggest that down the road. Get your feet wet first before you start buying niche guns.
If a member doesn't care about looking into what he's about to buy and has the cash to casually jump into the hobby of airguns I'm here to see it.
I am new to the PCP world and wanting to dive in to precision rifle for target practice and plinking. Semi auto, 30 plus caliber, that will work well with slugs and pellets. I already have a Sig Sauer MCX Gen 2 with PCP conversion and a Ruger break barrel pellet gun. I have many powder charged guns, but here in California, it is difficult and expensive to aquire ammunition and I don't want to use up my supplies of conventional ammo for practice and plinking.
My question is, is the Western Airguns Sidewinder appropriate for a PCP newbie, or is there some sort of learning curve that I am unaware of and I should get a "Starter" rifle first? I'm not new to target shooting, just PCP guns.
Cost is not a problem, I just want to sell my unfired Colt Python St. PAUL POLICE 125th anniversary 357 magnum first. I have several unfired collectors items that I can't even enjoy without depreciating the value $1000 just to fire it for the first time. Google the above mentioned Python, it's too beautiful to use!
Timmiecat

@Timmiecat The above bold and underlined portion of the quote makes it hard to suggest much of anything besides a Western Airguns Sidewinder, Ratter, or Hatsan Blitz. If you're financially well-off and can afford to just jump right in to air gunning, I want to see you do it. I can't say that I have the privilege to see people come on the forums and just say "Eff it. Money is no object. I want what I want and I don't even know what I'm getting."

To your question on the learning curve, in my opinion PCPs are going to have a learning curve if you're new to them. The advantage is that I am under the impression that you do not know much about them, so learning any PCP will be a similar journey. As for the Sidewinder, consulting with a person like @Emu is a great suggestion. He can tell you the good and bad from a hunting perspective (I don't know if he does much target shooting with hisP). Maintenance is where things got tricky for me when learning my PCP rifles. I have different types I'm still learning them. The ones I have used the mosts and/or have had issues with I learned a lot more in-depth because shipping costs to an airgunsmith for minor repairs are a PITA to me. It's easier to learn to do the small stuff for myself. Thankfully there is a wealth of information on AGN and I don't mind reading. There are also plenty of solid and helpful people here. Now if you don't have to have a semi-automatic air rifle or a .30 caliber or higher, I imagine that you will not have an issue coming across great suggestions for a first PCP that can handle slugs and pellets.

How will you fill your PCP with dry air? If you don't have a compressor or a SCBA tank and money is no issue, might I suggest a Buaer Junior II or Alkin Mariner W31 compressor coupled with a 98 cubic foot carbon fiber SCBA tank (Great White) from Joe B? I gotta admire a top-shelf guy who knows what he wants. Welcome to AGN by the way.

Timmiecat
If you do not mind the money and want to do target shooting go for a Ghost .30 Cal. It is easier to control than the Sidewinder.

If you want “The perfect Rifle”, then buy a Delta Wolf.

On any of the above alternatives, ask the bottle to be replaced by a 700 cc one and do not forget to buy a compressor.

There’s too much to enjoy on a good trigger of a PCP before suffering with the Sidewinder‘s trigger.

Don't recall the OP mentioning where he plans to shoot his .30 cal. They carry much more energy than a .22 (for example) requiring a solid/safe backstop to prevent through and through penetration and subsequent issues behind the back stop. If one is shooting where the loud report of the firing and impact of the .30 round is an issue . . . well there is that. I started off with a high end .25 FX Crown Continuum, but I shoot my .22's, .20 and .177 much more often than my .25's and .30. I mainly shoot in a backyard urban environment from the comfort of my back porch and all of my rifles and bullpups are well moderated for noise, so no issue. My highest end rifle happens to be an American Air Arms .30, with is a 70-80 foot pounds of energy, so wooden stockade fencing is nothing.

IMG_1793.jpg

Last edited: