• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie trying to understand why my rifle is inaccurate.

By the way, one of the most helpful forums I've seen in a long time. Nice community you guys have here. I'm an avid Jeep enthusiast, Archery elk hunter, flyfisherman, and I'm getting much more into long range shooting. And all the time indeed new people treated like poop in forums. Awful thing. Patience for a guy like me asking stupid questions you've all probably answered 100 times is awesome.

Oh also....so I need a special compressor to run a PCP? That's just totally out of the question. I did google the artillary hold, I mean...I'm not a big gripper anyways, I nearly hold that way always. I

I'm better than 90% of Joe's with a high powered rifle. I set my 300 win mag on a bag and hold the stock against my right shoulder with my left hand and I dont hold the gun otherwise. This let's the gun do its thing. As I've said to people learning long distance shots, the gun is more accurate than you are. Your job is to pull the trigger and stay out of the way.

So I tried a few more times before I took it back, modifying my hold even more. Pff....I think I went through 30 paper plates. Lol.

One min I would get a 1 inch group say 1" low of bullseye. Click the scope up a few notches and its shooting 6" high and all over the place. Lol. If it wasn't so frustrating, it would be hilarious.

I think I just have to find the best shooting gun without needing a compressor, and a decent scope and that's just going to have to be good enough.

Yeah the high pressure air guns use anywhere from 2500 to 4300 psi not a typical home or shop compressor.

Maybe something like a Weihrauch hw50 would be a good fit, they have many different models available. Ive had great luck with Hawke scopes but theres many other great ones others will suggest.

Lots of good prices on previously loved guns here too in the classifieds.

I have five air rifles that each cost more than $1400 (that's just the rifle, not counting scopes) yet I can appreciate where you are coming from.

So last month a friend asked me for a recommendation on what to buy and I gave him a QB79 I had sitting around and 2000 pellets that I'll never shoot (only shooting big bore n slugs now)

I also gave him an adapter and a Ninja regulated bottle so he's not using CO2 but air. And got him to order a $50 Chinese 4500 PSI hand pump... just fine for that rifle.

Check this link out

https://www.archerairguns.com/QB79-Chinese-Air-Rifle-p/ibqb79.htm

This is an old design but still a good shooter and LOW PRICED

Note: Since I got one of THESE (link below) it's my go to air rifle!

.357, 148gr HP at 979 FPS and CONSISTENT 3/4 MOA at 100 yards. 130gr @ 1030 FPS

https://americanairarms.com/product/slayer-hi-power-bullpup/

Can’t add too much to the many good comments here, but to sum up what I’ve read - you haven’t proved that springers in general, or even break-barrels in particular, are bad. You have proved that one individual inexpensive and dare I say over-powered one did not shoot very well.

Springers are not as effortless to shoot accurately as PCP’s, but still have the huge advantage of rugged simplicity and self-contained, single-stroke consistency and convenience. Look for a good gun like an HW 50, R9, or RWS 34, and don’t be afraid to buy used. You don’t need 4-figure velocities for which IMHO springers are not suited, anything over 800 FPS or so at the muzzle in .177 will reach pretty far out there, especially for lightly-built critters like birds.

Also educate yourself on basic break-in and maintenance. No springer shoots its best brand new outta the box, and minor things like being sure the stock inletting is smooth, keeping the stock screws tight, adjusting the breech tension properly, experimenting to find a suitable pellet, and patience to break it in and sort it out, make a huge difference. 

Not sure what your expectations are, but maybe some recent groups from a couple of my guns can give you an idea of what is reasonable.

The first gun is a TX200HC. The TX is still one of the winningest guns ever in field target piston class. Other high ranked guns are the HW97K and the Walther LGU. They all run about $600, which isn't a whole lot for a top end rifle of any type.

1570036781_751231165d94dc2dd54dc3.66110512_PA024709 Springer Groups.jpg

Next is my R9/HW95. This is a lighter, but still powerful gun that used to be the go-to recommendation when someone asked about a relatively inexpensive rifle for hunting and target shooting. One of its big advantages is its Record trigger, one of the best on any springer, and found on many of the offerings from HW. It sells for around $350.

1570037309_1875435735d94de3da3a5d6.64973193_PA024710 Springer Groups.jpg

So at 25 yards with me doing the shooting we are talking about 1/2" for five shots, sometimes better. The TX is clearly more consistent, both in group size and group position as it should be, although I know there are people out there who can do better with the R9 than I am able.

Beside the gun, the other major factor affecting accuracy is pellet choice. A field target style pellet like the JSB Exact is a good place to start. They almost always give decent results.

If this level of accuracy is acceptable to you, I would go ahead and give springers another try. But be prepared to spend around $500 or more for rifle and scope if you want any assurance of quality.

Chuck

springer air rifles are notorious for loosening mount fasteners of all sorts thereby degrading accuracy.

isolating and correcting such issues make it very worthwhile IMO.

I have both PCP and springers and enjoy them both but i must concede it is much easier to get accuracy from a good quality PCP and you must have the peripheral support equipment for PCP.

Springer rifles need a scope designed to handle the double recoil. The Hawke Airmax line seems to be well respected. If you get a PCP, you don’t need a special scope, so you will have a lot more options regarding scopes.

If you are OK using a hand pump every twenty shots or so, then the Nova Freedom suggested above could be the ticket.

If you want more shots between fills, and are OK to spend a little more, then a Marauder with a match barrel would be a good starting point. You can add a regulator to it and other upgrades. Plenty of field target competitors upgrade these and eventually sell them when they are ready to move up to a high end PCP. If you check the classifieds here, you may find one that someone has put $2000 into and get a real bargain. You don’t need a special compressor if you live near a paintball shop. They can fill your rifle and you get about 100 shots before needing to refill. Or you can get a SCBA tank and have it filled, so you can refill your rifle at home. But a SCBA tank costs more than $500 new iirc. A $50 Chinese hand pump will get it done with some effort.

The Diana makes a lot of top 10 lists, but I don’t know if it has enough power for dove hunting. It’s a plinker and target shooter, but others here can weigh in on its suitability for hunting. But I think it requires a pump between shots? It sounds like you want a powder rifle experience, without having to pump at all between shots? Is that correct?

You def dont need a compressor. A 40 dollar amazon pump will take work, but will work. 

You can often buy a used tank and get it filled free from a local fire dept. Mine was bought on clist for 50 bucks or so, tested for another 50 and i have shot weekly for a few months without going back to the local fire dept for a free top up. I also bought a 40 dollar hand pump and that has worked for the few weeks when my tanks were getting inspected

Depending on the pcp, some of the entry levels are built for hand pumpers and low cost of entry to the market. No way do you need your own compressor

You need to master you hold and stance shooting a spinger.. a military stance is best standing or prone. Hold the rifle with a loose grip. Rest the stock on your hand don't grip it. Take a breath exhale then Pull the trigger with the tip of your finger. Keep your stance still all the way through your shot. There is a lot going on inside a spingers. It takes a few milliseconds before the pellet even leaves the barrel. If you flinch and move before you know the pellet has fired it will affect your aim. Springer's are the best for your money. Not having to buy all the add-on stuff. Being able to grab you rifle and pellets and going out in the field for a hunt without all the other equipment is a huge plus for me. 

Good luck and don't give up on this category of airguns some are powerhouses for not a huge investment.

My .30 Hatsan will knock a raccoon out of a tree at 40 yards.

This might be a good rifle for you to get started. I own the .25 it is very accurate with open sights. available in three calibers. Lot of power for a low price

https://hatsanairgunsusa.com/product/edge-spring-gun-only-no-scope/