Newbie to Air Rifle Needs Advice

Here it goes. I called a popular Air Rifle shop took their advice and it bit me. I fell for it. I wanted a .177 that was very accurate for target shooting. I wanted a break barrel or under lever. I was sold a HW 95 Field Pro. Broke it in. Put 750 shots thru it. I had screws loosening to the point of falling out. It would shoot a dime size to quarter size group and on occasion for no reason a 1" group at 20 yes. It then started squealing loudly when closing on the cocking cycle. I sent it back within 1 week. It's still at the shop. I do not want this gun back. So, after tons of videos I think I should have bought a TX200 or HW97. Then some videos on the HW97 had the same squealing sound. I am loosing confidence in the HW brand. So where to from here? What other rifle should I consider. I am on a budget of around $850. Broken down disabled Vet...Thanks for the help.

Spring guns have personality, some good, some not so good. The tx 200 and the hw97 are very good guns. Both are high quality but heavy. When it comes to springers they tend to be over sprung in the states, and they tend to be more temperamental. I keep all my spring guns in .177 and 12 foot pounds or under. The higher the power the less fun they are to target shoot with. A spring gun can cause issues for the scope if the scope is not airgun rated. Checking for loose screws and lubricating moving parts helps with accuracy if done on a regular basis. If you are open to the idea of break barrels, I would suggest an RWS 34 .177, sub 12 foot pounds. Hope this helps.

Being new, I was going springer due to cost savings. Not having to worry about buying tanks extra equip. I will check them out though.

not knowing you’re disability i don’t know if you can use a hand pump but their not terrible to use to 3000 lbs but they are a bit of a workout. a small electric compressor would be your next best bet unless you have easy access to someone who could fill a tank. their are many good pcps the 1 i mentioned is just 1 example

Like was already mentioned, you might be better off with a lower powered Springer. There was talk yesterday about the HW 50 which I have Also.Very accurate and easy to shoot. It’s just a hair over 11 foot pounds. You can put blue Loctite on the screws. And I keep the hinge points at the forks lubed every now and then along with the lock up.I like it because it’s light and easy to shoot.Can’t say for sure about yours but seems like it was a lubrication issue.And just about everybody puts Loctite on their screws.

GX compressor $369.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYRS15R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Can do your filling at home or in the field with 12V

Air Venturi Avenger $349.99 https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-avenger-regulated-pcp-air-rifle?m=5136

If you don't already have a Scope and want a package deal

Air Venturi Avenger Bundle with Hawke Scope $499.99 https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-avenger-hawke-scope-case-kit?m=5535#11213

A compressor and Avenger can be had within/close to your budget to get you into PCP can't beat it for the price.

I used to shoot only mulit pump and break barrel. Didn't even know what pcp means. Then got my first pcp, the benjamin marauder .22 and a hand pump. It blow me away how I can get fast follow up shots and can shot and shot and shoot. Without having to pump my guns 10 times each time and single load or break the barrel and single load. It was awesome. Never went back to multi pump and break barrel. PCP all the way. Its that saying, once you go black, you never go back.

First, thanks for your service, and I hope you find satisfaction in the air gun hobby. The Weihrauch brand is excellent, but any brand can have issues. I have a HW97 in .177, and I installed a 12 fpe Vortek kit. It is a pleasure to shoot. IMO, spring guns are not very appealing in higher power tunes. It just makes the mechanical movement more extreme. But, a standard power .177 should not be unpleasant. I have no experience with the HW95, so I can't offer a comparison. The PCP alternative is more expensive, and requires more equipment. If you have access to a dive shop for tank refills, then you don't need a compressor. But still, if you get good stuff, the PCP option is considerably more expensive. If you stick with a springer, you might consider a lower power spring kit. Good luck, it's a great hobby.

Sir, thank you for your service. From one vet to another, I think you should give the HW95 a second chance. I am new to the springer game but really having a good time. I have a HW95 .177 with about the same amount of shots through it. The rifle is a HUGE spring that is constantly, well springing. I carry a small screw driver kit and I will check screws and scope mounts and tighten as needed. My HW77 took about three tins of pellets and two applications of locktight before it stopped coming unscrewed. This is called personality. You also get to know your rifle.

I have a bunch of PCP's and a bunch of springers. If I could only have one, I would grab my HW95 and a sleeve of H&N Baracuda Match 4.52 head size pellets. I can hit tin cans at 55 yards with open sights and take down any small game for the pot at 30 yards. No pumps, no compressors, no blown o rings. 

Unfortunately your 95 was a problem rifle, it happens to the best every now and then. Had you just shot a hundred or so shots then broke it down and made a simple tune you would have been good to go. I am a retired spring gun tuner, over 35 years of spring gun service. Shooting hundreds of rounds to " break them in" is a wives tale. To get a springer to function smooth and have a really good shot cycle it needs to be tuned !!! You can drop in a kit and see an improvement or you can use the factory parts and do your own if mechanically inclined. The other option is to send it to a well known tuner and use his expertise. The 95 was a good choice and once properly set up, is still a great rifle. So is the 97 and the TX200, but all will need a simple tune to get maximum performance and this includes the proper lubes to keep things functioning well !! Sorry to hear about your issues with your rifle and my heartfelt thank you for your service to our country !!! If you choose to tune your rifle yourself, I would be happy to talk you thru the process, just pm me. Dont give up...your reasons for choosing a springer are right on and the main reason there are so many of us dedicated spring gun shooters !!!

Thank you all for the kind support of my Military service and I extend the same thankfulness to all who have and haven't served. I also appreciate your kind offers. I noticed that as a new member I can't send messages yet. Not enough posts. Them perhaps I will request a replacement. I do know they sell the PG2 kit. Not sure if that would be beneficial. Once I have enough posts, I will respond...

If the OP doesn’t mind, I’d like to sorta derail his thread but I’m hoping since he’s a new one to the airgun game the answers will benefit him and others that read this thread-

ive often wondered, in all these entry level thread recommendations and suggestions that are break barrel based, why doesn’t anyone ever suggest a gas ram break barrel? It’s no secret that gas ram guns have more advantages over springers in the maintenance department, so I’m curious why they are never recommended? 
Theobens, The HW90/Beeman RX, all top tier quality guns. Im curious if I’ve overlooked possible faults on gas ram suggestions to new folks.

and OP- thanks for your services to our country.

Unfortunately your 95 was a problem rifle, it happens to the best every now and then. Had you just shot a hundred or so shots then broke it down and made a simple tune you would have been good to go. I am a retired spring gun tuner, over 35 years of spring gun service. Shooting hundreds of rounds to " break them in" is a wives tale. To get a springer to function smooth and have a really good shot cycle it needs to be tuned !!! You can drop in a kit and see an improvement or you can use the factory parts and do your own if mechanically inclined. The other option is to send it to a well known tuner and use his expertise. The 95 was a good choice and once properly set up, is still a great rifle. So is the 97 and the TX200, but all will need a simple tune to get maximum performance and this includes the proper lubes to keep things functioning well !! Sorry to hear about your issues with your rifle and my heartfelt thank you for your service to our country !!! If you choose to tune your rifle yourself, I would be happy to talk you thru the process, just pm me. Dont give up...your reasons for choosing a springer are right on and the main reason there are so many of us dedicated spring gun shooters !!!

WORD !

All my HW springers are tuned and the screws never get loose anymore.